Two - Nothing really stays the same in all these years

Weaving and Straying: 5 Years Ago and 5 Years Later

 

 

 

Irene hops onto Seulgi’s car after having a phone call with her. And it was still awkward when she left the house.

 

 

“I’m going out to meet Seulgi.” She stood in front of the ajar door and she daren’t to peep through the gap. “I’ll be out for a while.”

 

 

Then she heard Wendy cough a little before answering in a rather hoarse voice, “Okay. Just give me a ring if you need me.”

 

 

She thinks Wendy’s crying. And she is desperate to know why. But who is she to ask her about that? Yes, she should mind her own business first. So she walked out of the front door without another word.

 

 

 

Seulgi still looks pretty much the same. She still has the teddy bear features, although her personality has matured a lot. 

 

 

“You know what, it’s pretty cool.” She mutters as she is taking Irene to her house. “Whatever that you’re experiencing.”

 

 

“I don’t even know how it works.” The older woman exclaims agitatedly. “What if I am stuck here?”

 

 

 

After a short silence, Seulgi concludes while stealing a quick glance at her best-friend, “So you don’t like Wendy.”

 

 

Irene frustratedly runs her fingers through her locks, “Am I supposed to?” It’s sadly true that Irene doesn’t like her, romantically, yet. And Wendy is probably thinking about the same thing, that she has lost the Irene whom she loves and loves her back.

 

 

But then, Seulgi lifts a smile, “I wish I could be like you, time-traveling.”

 

 

“What do you mean?” Irene widens her eyes. 

 

 

 

The taller girl tilts her head to her passenger as the light is red, “Do you remember the girl Park Sooyoung? Who I met during a trip to Japan?”

 

 

“Oh, her.” She nods. “You two are friends, right?”

 

 

“Not anymore. It’s 5 years ago.” Seulgi hangs her head and her chapped lips. “We were together for a while but I was such a . I ended it because I didn’t want to settle down with her here. I still wanted to see the world, traveling around, without a…... burden.”

 

 

“And what now?” Irene worriedly checks if her buddy is okay. “Is she like, married?” It’s what usually happen in those tear-jerking dramas, right?  

 

 

 

Gripping onto the wheel, she glues her eyes back at the road as the car moves again, “The last time I checked, she’s dating another guy, called Sungjae or something. And she’s happy.”

 

 

“I’m sorry to hear that, Seul.” Irene didn’t know how things could really change this drastically in 5 years until now. She thought 5 years was a small number.

 

 

“It’s okay. She’s happy then I’m happy.” Seulgi chuckles dryly. “I just wish…... I could have seen it earlier. Then I wouldn’t have let her go, I would have stayed with her.”

 

 

And Irene just softly pats her arm to show her support while immersing herself in her own thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Irene plants herself on a comfy looking chair in Seulgi’s living room. Her eyes are automatically drawn to the pictures hanging around the house. They are all taken by Kang Seulgi from different countries, skies to trees, ice mountains to green fields. 

 

 

It’s one of the many things Irene likes about Seulgi - she’s such a low-profile and humble girl. As a young photographer who has been frequently awarded since her days in college, she’s never put those trophies on display. Her pictures are her trophies. 

 

 

And for that, Seulgi hasn’t changed for a bit.

 

 

 

The photographer sits down beside her and follows her guest’s gaze, “After all these years, I've learnt love is like traveling. I have been trying to go to every corner of the world just to get the best pictures. Every time before I press the button, I’d ask myself, should I go further? Is there a better angle out there? And I usually end up having nothing at all. It takes me so much time. What a waste.”

 

 

Irene is listening closely and of course she understands Seulgi’s underlying message.

 

 

And the taller girl continues, “People say, there’re plenty fish in the sea. But which one is the one for you? How do you know? Do you have to catch them all so that you can make a freaking decision? No, you can’t, you can’t catch them all. So always, there’ll be someone grumbling why they haven’t waited for a better person to come around.”

 

 

Irene looks at her and only finds those mono-lid eyes getting teary.

 

 

“We are often left with regrets even after breaking hundreds of hearts, ‘cause we know it’s too late. The person we should be with is already gone, or has become the closest ‘friend’ we’d ever have, who would be watching us breaking our and others' hearts throughout our poor lives.”

 

 

 

Irene ponders for a while after Seulgi finishes her little speech, “So what should I do?”

 

 

“I’m just thinking maybe there is a reason for bringing you here.”

 

 

“Then I should change my past or my future?” She lets out a deep sigh. “I have to do something so that I could go back, right?”

 

 

“So the only thing in your mind is to go back?” 

 

 

 

“Shouldn’t I?” Irene raises her voice a little.

 

 

And Seulgi looks at her disapprovingly.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“I didn’t know you’re this stupid.” 

 

 

 

“WHAT?”

 

 

“You said it yourself. You’re here to change something, that can either be the biggest regret or blessing in your life.”

 

 

Irene suddenly realizes Seulgi has been a lot wiser in these years, “Then what is it? Who? Wendy or Onew?”

 

 

“How am I supposed to know? It’s your life, not mine.”

 

 

 

“I don’t even have a single idea of what actually happened in these 5 years.”

 

 

“Perhaps you should see if that clinic you mentioned is still there.” Seulgi nonchalantly reminds her of one very important clue. “I bet it has something to do with the doctor.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

In the following days, Irene can only see Wendy in the morning or at night. She is busy tracking down that creepy doctor and his clinic while Wendy seems to be occupied by her work too.

 

 

Their house is so big that they can do their thing without meeting each other. There is even a bed in Wendy’s study room, making Irene feels like they are only housemates, or she’s only a tenant for her.

 

 

The fact is, Wendy doesn’t want to see Irene. She is avoiding her since she only reminds her of the same tragic fact over and over again. She means nothing to Irene now. And it also means nothing if she tells her every little thing they have gone through. Wendy is sure that she isn’t meant to make her stay or fall in love with her. 

 

 

Every night before Wendy closes her eyes after a long day of work, she prays it’s just a nightmare and everything would be how they used to be when she opens them again.

 

 

 

On the other hand, Irene has finally found the clinic, as well as the creepy doctor. It has moved to the other side of town and she’s planning to pay him a visit tomorrow.

 

 

It’s Friday night and she is thinking maybe she should have a meal with Wendy. She knows, behind closed doors, Wendy still cares for her. 

 

 

For example, Wendy had called to Irene’s office and asked for a two-week sick leave secretly so that Irene can focus on solving the mystery without causing any unwanted trouble. Irene only knew about that when her boss texted her to assure the cases she’s been handling would be in good hands, the very next day she has traveled here.

 

 

She hesitantly sends a text to Wendy, asking if she wants to eat with her tonight. And Wendy declines because she has a seminar to attend. Irene then checks the schedule hanging on the wall of Wendy’s study room and her words are valid.

 

 

So she has dinner with Seulgi, and discusses her little “plan”.  

 

 

 

The young academic is home when Irene is mindlessly flipping through the TV channels.

 

 

“Hey, I bought you something.”

 

 

Irene looks over her shoulder and sees a box in Wendy’s hand.

 

 

“Oh, thank you. What is it?”

 

 

 

The younger girl puts down the box on the dining table and changes her shoes, “Today’s Friday. Your favorite cake from your favorite bakery is only available today.”

 

 

She fakes a cough as Irene doesn’t reply but only stares at her, “Oh, sorry. I thought maybe I should buy you something for turning down your dinner offer.” 

 

 

“No, it’s very nice of you. Thanks.” Irene smiles and opens the box. “Hmm, carrot cake. I guess my taste hasn’t changed.”

 

 

 

“I used to bake a lot.” Wendy weakly smiles in return. “As you can see, there’s a huge oven in the kitchen. But I don’t have a lot of time to do so now. Luckily, I found that bakery so I’ll buy you a cake there from time to time.”

 

 

“Wendy,” Irene doesn’t know to explain those mixed emotions she’s feeling right now. Sad? Sorry? Thankful? Touched? “I think I’ve found someone whom could help. I will go there tomorrow. So, thank you again for everything.”

 

 

“Great.” The petite girl nods repeatedly without looking back at her. “I’ll go to take a shower first…… I am tired.”

 

 

“Okay, goodnight.” She switches her gaze to the cake as the house is engulfed in stillness again.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“You’ve sent me here. So now, tell me how to go back.” Irene had barged into the eerie old clinic and the doctor was there expecting her. So she grabbed his collar and was about to shake all his bones out of his body until he spilled the secret.

 

 

“You are the chosen one.” He grinned, showing his grime-filled teeth. “Memories are all woven together and you are chosen to stray within your memories until you have fixed it.”

 

 

“What is it?” She shouted at his face. “What do you mean by straying within my memories?”

 

 

 

“There’s only one timeline for one person, and the you, who comes from the distant future, made a wish to change something in her life.” He explained with the same creepy smile on his face. “So we chose you. And here you are. Back to the start. Not everyone could be granted with a chance with this.”

 

 

“So you mean I am actually in the past?” Irene frowned and threw him down to the floor.

 

 

“You still don’t get it. You are starting it all over again.” 

 

 

“B-but what’s about ‘it’?”

 

 

“And for some people, their timelines could be woven with the others. Some say it’s destiny, some say it’s coincidence. As for your case, you should either untangle it or tangle it back. I could show you your ‘future’ so that you can have some clues. But be prepared. Not everyone is strong enough to take a glimpse of their future while they’re so young.”

 

 

 

“I-I’ll come back to you later……”

 

 

Irene stormed out of the clinic as she shot a glare at the doctor. She wandered a little on the streets before going back “home”. 

 

 

And she’s still as confused as she has ever been. According to the doctor, the situation she’s in is totally ed up. The her in probably 60 years later has decided to fix something in her past, resulting in the current her has to jump back and forth…... Oh, still very confusing.

 

 

 

And she’s surprised as someone opens the door for her after she inserted the key. 

 

 

“How’re things going?” Wendy steps aside and lets Irene in. “You were gone for almost a day so I’m worried.”

 

 

She fishes her phone out of her bag, there are several unread messages and missed calls, all from Wendy. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t aware of the time.”

 

 

“It’s alright.” She closes the door behind her. “By the way, have you eaten anything? You’ve been outside for so long.”

 

 

“I…... Umm…..” Irene darts her eyes around, still not being used to the warm Wendy.

 

 

“Just think of me as a friend.” She lets out a croon turning around. “I’ll cook. You can get changed first.”

 

 

 

Irene however just blankly sits on the couch until Wendy calls her to have dinner.

 

 

“You cook well.” She compliments her when they eat in silence.

 

 

“Thanks.” She cracks a smile, finally. “It’s me who do the cooking most of the time.”

 

 

“And I’ll do the laundry?” Irene jokes a little.

 

 

Wendy’s smile grows brighter this time, “Yes. And the ironing. You love the smell of fabric softeners, don’t you?”

 

 

“I do.”

 

 

And then, her smile fades, “Oh right. You’ve found the way to go back, no?”

 

 

 

“No.” Irene dejectedly shakes her head. “I’m still figuring that out.”

 

 

“Can I help?” Wendy kindly offers. “Like, anything?”

 

 

She decides not to tell her about those things about the doctor, not wanting to trouble her further, “Hmm, I’ll talk to you if I need your help.”

 

 

“Cool.” She shrugs. “So eat up. I’ve cooked a lot.”

 

 

 

Irene goes back to their bedroom when it’s time to sleep. She actually feels bad for occupying the whole room while Wendy has to sleep on that single bed lately. 

 

 

But she can’t really share the same bed with her as they aren’t that intimate in the first place. If Irene is hiding something from Wendy, the latter is most likely doing the same thing. 

 

 

She knows Wendy is a talkative girl but she’s so quiet these days. And she could still notice those little emotions from her eyes. Like Wendy would step into the bedroom very quietly to get changed every morning. Sometimes Irene can’t fake sleeping for too long and accidentally crush her gaze with her. She thinks she could read so many things from her eyes then, ranging from love to remorse.

 

 

After all, she doesn’t love her and she isn’t the one she loves.

 

 

 

Back to the present, she knows Wendy is still up. She was boring holes on her laptop with her lively eyes when she passed by her room earlier. She always leaves her door ajar.

 

 

It’s getting colder and colder. She wants to remind Wendy to keep warm if she’s going to stay up late. But she just couldn’t. Too embarrassed, maybe.

 

 

 

Irene doesn’t think she can endure all those crushing weights any longer since she can barely stand all those changes in these 5 years. Yet she knows she has to, since she has to go back eventually, right? So she has to prepare herself, prepare to see her ‘original future’.

 

 

She can’t sleep even after all the tossing and turning. So she picks up her phone which is laying on the other side of the bed and starts reading every detail there is.

 

 

So she first finds the last contact she has with Onew is about 1 year ago already. He told her that his parents had set him up with a girl and he sent a picture of that girl asking for Irene’s opinion. She replied saying the girl seemed to be a good match with him. So he said maybe he would agree to go on a date with her.

 

 

She smiles a little reading that, knowing they are still friends.

 

 

 

After that, uncontrollably, her fingers click into the message history with ‘Seungwan’. Somehow she feels so heartbroken as she is browsing through those thousands of texts.

 

 

“I had a nice time with you tonight. So…... Do you happen to be free this Saturday?” - sent from Irene’s iPhone on Jan 15 2016.

 

 

“Come downstairs. I have a surprise for you :)” - from Seungwan on August 3 2016.

 


“Wan-ah, happy 1st anniversary <3 Wakey wakey, or you’ll miss the morning delivery~” - sent from Irene’s iPhone on August 3 2017.

 

 

“Hyun-ah, look what I’ve found. Isn’t this the bakery you like? It’s just a few blocks away from the university. It seems you could gain some weight from now on ^^” - from Seungwan on November 19 2018.

 

 

“Seulgi said Amsterdam is a beautiful place. We should go there this year for vacation. How do you think? p.s I’ll cook tonight so come asap after work ;)” - sent from Irene’s iPhone on February 10 2019.

 

 

“Bae Joohyun, I know your parents called you today. I can’t tell you what to do but, if you love me too, I think it’s time for us to move in together, as you’ve always wanted to. Tell me your decision. I’ll be waiting. I love you.” - from Seungwan on May 7 2019.

 

 

“Feeling very sick today so I left early. I’ll go to a doctor before coming home. Don’t bother to pick me up. See you back at the house.” - sent from Irene’s iPhone on October 3 2020.

 

 

 

That is the last message she sent, as the Irene who truly lives in here, making her wonder what could happen to her in the further future. Maybe she really should accept the doctor’s offer. And would Wendy still be there, loving her as she has always been? Or it isn’t about Wendy anymore?

 

 

She turns off the phone and the cute little nightlight is the only thing illuminating the room. 

 

 

Not long after she closes her eyes, someone comes in. With the light from the doorway and a shadow elongated onto her, she can sense it even when her body is facing the other side.

 

 

It is Wendy. 

 

 

Her footsteps are light and all she does is making sure Irene hasn’t kicked the covers to the floor and gently tugging it to her shoulder. 

 

 

 

Irene wants to cry.

 

 

But she manages to hold it until Wendy softly closes the door, where her tiny figure disappears into the night. 

 

 

She cries as drowsiness brings her to a deep slumber.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Is it getting too complicated??

Some of their past is unfolded, and more is on the way!

Hope you have been enjoying this as much as I do.

xo