Chapter 3: Conceal

Chased by Idols
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: Conceal

 

There’s one week left until the monthly evaluations and Danielle has been pouring her blood and sweat into perfecting her dance. On top of the pressure, the trainers and other trainees expect of her is that the growing frustration for her older sister. Their dad is flying in this Friday and Tiffany is avoiding talking to her about it. She runs off at the mention of ‘dad’ and honestly, Tiffany can be childish at times and she’s getting tired of it.

 

“Alright, today’s practice is done. You’re free to go.”          

 

Danielle immediately packed her things and called one person that could help her release tension.

 

“I was surprised when you called. How are you doing Dani?” A man’s voice echoed throughout the empty gym indicates the arrival of the one she’s been waiting for.

 

Danielle smiled at the man a few feet from her. “Hey Khun, I’m doing fine.”

 

Nichkhun doubted what she said. “You don’t look fine.”

 

“Monthly evaluations are coming, that’s why.” She avoided Khun’s penetrating stare. Hiding the fact there was more to it.

 

But Nichkhun caught on. “And?”

 

“And, what? That’s it!”

 

“I know you’re not telling me everything that’s keeping you tensed but that’s alright,” Nichkhun smiled at her. “I won’t force you to talk.”

 

Danielle thanked the gods that Nichkhun is so understanding. Although talking helps to relieve the tension she just feels it will make her mood sourer than it is.

 

“Are you ready?” Nichkhun asked as he put on sparring gloves. “It’s been awhile since you’ve done Muay Thai.”

 

“This is why I called you, to guide me.” Danielle secured her gloves. She ready to let off some steam.

 

“Alright, let’s do this.”

 

The room was filled with grunts and the sharp sound the sound of skin hitting the plastic. Danielle punched and kick until her muscles ache and Khun was just there in silent comfort, receiving the frustrations in every punch and kick Danielle threw.

 

Tiffany introduced Nichkhun way before that dating scandal. It wasn’t even true but they played to Jessica’s frustration. They were just good friends and Tiffany’s stand-in brother figure and now Danielle’s. Nichkhun and Danielle bonded over Muay Thai and badminton and ever since they became bros for life.

 

“You’re still not gonna talk, are you?” Nichkhun handed her a towel to wipe the beads of sweat on her face.

 

Danielle stayed silent, not really want to talk about family matters.

 

Defeated, Nichkhun sighed. “Alright. But Dani,” Nichkhun placed a comforting hand on Danielle’s shoulder. “Just know that I’m always here.”

 

Danielle hugged Nichkhun in return. She doesn’t care about the sweat and frankly, Nichkhun too. He wrapped his arms around to embrace her head and caress her hair. Danielle and her sister would have the same height. And hugging Danielle made him realized how he missed his family back in Thailand. He is definitely making calls tonight.

 

Danielle arrived in her penthouse, she immediately dropped on the couch and stared the majestic Seoul night view her place has offered. She knew her sister was somewhere in her apartment and she knew that she needs to talk to her sister before Friday comes.

 

She tried to place herself in a comfortable position but the moment she pushes herself off the couch searing paint shot through her arms, back, and legs. With all her might, she stood up and walked towards the bathroom where she kept muscle relief patches. Putting the patches on her back was a but she managed. She felt hungry so headed to the kitchen. And lo and behold, her older was there, nursing a glass of wine.

 

Tiffany looked up from the rim of the glass to see her sister entering the kitchen with slow steps. When she finally set her glass down, she frowned.

 

“That’s a lot of patches.” She commented. She knew her sister was taking extra hours in practice but even Tiffany knew that extra practices don’t make her muscles ache that much. You’ll get used to the soreness. But then again, Tiffany knew her sister’s persistence and determination when it comes to training.

 

Danielle grunted and took out a plate of kimchi from the fridge. She sat at the opposite end of the table, facing her older sister. She poured herself a glass of wine and set it beside her plate. While eating, she already planned on what to say to her sister about their dad.  Tiffany was just there observing her sister, she knew what was about to happen.

 

As she set her chopsticks down and finished her glass of wine, Danielle was anticipating the uncertain outcome of the conversation that was about to happen. She cleared as if it helped clear her anxiety building up in her.

 

“Unnie,” Danielle called Tiffany’s attention but her sister’s attention was already on her. She felt her hands getting clammy as her anxiety rises up to . “Let’s talk about the upcoming events this Friday.”

 

A couple of seconds passed before Tiffany spoke up.

 

“I’m not going to the dinner.”

 

“I- We haven’t even started on the main concern and now you’re avoiding it already.”

 

Tiffany furrowed her brows at the accusation, “I am not!”

 

Danielle rolled her eyes. “Every time I try to open up this topic you run off into the sunset or make up some practice schedule.” Tiffany was about to speak but Danielle did not let her. “Do not open your mouth until I am done.” Tiffany shut closed.

 

Danielle took a moment to compose herself. “You’re coming to dinner with me whether you like it or not.”

 

Tiffany clenched her fist, “I will not! And since when did you become so brave in telling me what to do? Huh?”

 

“Tiffany!” Danielle stood up. She felt her sore muscles aching during the sudden action. This wasn’t going well as she hoped

 

“What?! You’re gonna cry to daddy now? Tsk. You’ve always been dad’s favorite.”

 

Danielle was thrown off by the last comment. The room grew silent. Danielle was still standing with her head down low. “I’m not dad’s favorite.”

 

Tiffany scoffed. “Of course you would say that. Why would he give his youngest child everything she wished for? Why did he easily approve of fulfilling your dreams while he was disa-,”

 

“I’m not dad’s favorite, okay!” Danielle had enough. She clenched-unclenched her fist to help her calm.

 

Tiffany stopped talking after Danielle snapped. She hadn’t seen her younger sister this mad. Maybe she went a bit too far on what she said. “Dani, I-,”

 

“So this is what this is all about. Your jealousy issue. Well, I’m sorry Tiff, I have nothing against you.” Danielle laughed bitterly. “Dad’s favorite.” She scoffed.

 

Danielle poured herself another glass of wine and drank it all in one go. She slammed the glass on the table and faced her sister.

Please log in to read the full chapter