Chapter 3

Blood Is Thicker Than Water {Editing}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the first rays of sun spreaded out in the sky, Jinwoo got up from his mattress and folded his blanket neatly. After stretching his limbs, he washed up, prepared breakfast for his parents, ate a bowl of rice, then headed out leaving a small note for his parents. It was Sunday, and he had to go look for a part-time job before he starts school the following day. Time is gold, and he can't waste any moment of it. His father needs to be saved at all costs, and Jinwoo is going to work hard to achieve this goal and return to Imja island with a healthy father. He's got a race of two months, and he's determined to make it before that deadline.

"It's time to use your smart brain, Kim Jinwoo!" he told himself with a clutched fist. With this, he started looking for a job. 

When Seungyoon opened his eyes, he found himself lying on a big comfy bed like the one in his bedroom. However, the atmosphere of the room was different than his. As he looked around him, he noticed two things. First, he was in one of the VIP rooms in their family hotel. Second, he realized it was already morning as the sun shone brightly through the big glass of the balcony door. His heart jumped in his chest as he remembered his band's weekly rehearsal. Every Sunday, Seungyoon would meet his bandmates to rehearse together as during weekdays they get busy with school and other assignments. 

Seungyoon quickly looked around for his phone and spotted it on a coffee table far away from him. He hurriedly got up from bed to grab his phone, oblivious of the almost empty bag of I.V drip attached to his forearm. His sudden movement caused the needle to detach from his forearm painfully.

"AHHHHH!" Seungyoon screamed from the sudden pain and held his hand closely to his abdomen trying to ease the burning sensation in it.

"AISH!!" he cussed angrily at his bad luck before grabbing his phone. He found 10 missed calls and 7 messages from his bandmates, and it was already... "NOON?!" he screamed again from shock. "Just what the hell happened to me that I've been out for more than 12 hours?!!" he said as he fumbled through a backpack left for him on the couch.

Someone must have changed him into pajamas in his unconscious state!

"Just great!!" he mumbled.

He found a pair of jeans, a blue sweater, a black jacket, and a pair of converse. He quickly removed the set of pajamas and put the new clothes on. There was no time for a shower. He grabbed his phone, and ran towards the door. But before he could reach for the doorknob, someone opened the door quite harshly sending the wooden door right at Seungyoon's face. Next thing, Seungyoon found himself sitting on the floor holding his throbbing forehead. He looked up angrily at his attacker only to meet two slanted eyebrows resembling the 5:5 hair above them.

"Who are you?" Seungyoon asked, trying to stand up but failed miserably as he felt dizzy from the hit.

The feminine but tall boy just looked at him with utter shock.

"I must be the one asking that question!" he said crossing his arms over his chest. 

"Excuse me?" Seungyoon asked, finally picking himself up from the floor. The throbbing in his forehead already forgotten. He was taken aback by that guy's attitude.

"This is my room!" the feminine boy said, holding a card key between his fingers. "So who are you? What are you doing in my room?!"

"Wait! There must be some mistake!" Seungyoon said as calm as he could muster. "I'll call the reception to clean the room for you, I'm leaving anyways!"

The guy scoffed, "why would you?! I should be the one complaining for this low service!"

Seungyoon rolled his eyes internally at the guy's sassy behavior. He looked so full of himself. 

"Okay, you handle it!" Seungyoon shrugged, pushing his way towards the door only to feel the guy's hand firmly holding his arm, preventing him from leaving. "What are you doing?!" he spat, trying to yank the hand from his arm.

That guy was surely stronger and taller than what Seungyoon thought. He couldn't even free himself from that strong grip.

"You're gonna stay put until the manager here comes. How dare them offer me such a messy used room!" the guy glared at Seungyoon before releasing him with a hard push.

"FINE! CALL THEM! GO AHEAD!" Seungyoon yelled in frustration. The last thing he wished for was to be treated like  by a complete stranger.

Meanwhile, at Incheon international airport, a plane coming from New York had just landed. A young man in his mid-20s made his way out from the arrival gate and walked towards another man in his late 30s, dressed formally in a black suit and holding a white placard which read 'Choi Seunghyun'.

"How was your flight, young master?" asked the man, taking the luggage from the young man named Choi Seunghyun. 

"Tiring!" Seunghyun replied shortly, walking past the older man. As they made their way out of the airport, a black car parked in front of them and the driver hurriedly ran to open the backseat door politely for Seunghyun, while the previous man put the luggage in the trunk.

Seunghyun slumped down in the backseat, removing his jacket and throwing it aside. As the car started moving, he snorted at his bad luck for returning to the place he hated the most in this world. It might seem like Seunghyun does not like his homeland, but in reality being back to places and people that remind him of his painful past is what he loathes.

For the past six years he'd been living in the U.S, he was trying hard to forget the past and move on with his life. There, he went to university and met new people who made his look to life change. He was happier there more than in his homeland. However, fate had other plans for him. 

Flashback

Three days ago, Seunghyun's older brother called urging him to come to Korea as soon as possible. He tried to decline, but his brother insisted that he should really come, stating that it was 'a matter of life or death' which cannot be discussed over the phone.

"I'll think about it!" that was all what he said before ending the call. 

The following day, Seunghyun was not in a very good mood as he entered his art studio. He tried hard to concentrate on his current painting, but his brother's words kept bugging him. At last he gave up and decided to go to his office and do some paperwork.

"May I come in?" a red head peeked behind the office door. 

"You're already in!" Seunghyun replied, looking at Nick, his personal assistant.

"Oh, right!" said Nick, scratching his head. He ran excitedly and sat on the chair at Seunghyun's desk.

"Let me guess, you got some good news?" Seunghyun asked, smirking knowingly, and Nick nodded vigorously.

"I actually got the greatest news ever!" he exclaimed happily, and put some papers on Seunghyun's desk. "All the remaining paintaings from our latest exhibition are sold out"

"Seriously?!" Seunghyun's eyes widened in shock, and he quickly picked the papers skimming through them. "This is crazy! How can this be possible?" he looked up at Nick with a wide smile.

"Yeah and what's even crazier is that different clients purchased the paintaings. Your work appeals to a wide range of people, Seunghyun!" Nick chuckled.

"I guess so!" Seunghyun nodded. "Now, we got a lot of work to do, delivering all those paintaings to their new owners!" he added, and both him and Nick started making important phone calls to deliver the purchases and receive the payments.

After a long day, Seunghyun finally arrived at his apartment. He took a long shower and settled down on his couch. He started going through his mail until he stopped at one particular enveloppe. He opened it and found a plane ticket to Seoul and a small note.

'Your plane is departing tomorrow at midnight. You should really come home, Seunghyun' - your brother, Dongwook.

Seunghyun sighed, looking at the plane ticket in his hands in frustration. He was delighted with the success he achieved today; however, his brother had to ruin it.

He remained for the rest of the night contemplating whether to go or not. He didn't understand what could be so important for his brother to urge him to go home. He started overthinking more than necessary. He didn't know what decision to make. After an hour or so, he decided to call his girlfriend.

"Bom is always right" he said before picking up his phone and dialing her number. 

Park Bom is Seunghyun's girlfriend for four years now. Seunghyun is very proud of her and loves her a lot. She was the turning point in his life. She turned his dull and sad life into heaven. She healed him and made him look to life in a positive way. The only thing she wasn't able to change in him was his fear from the past and anything related to the past. Whenever she suggested going on a vacation to Korea, he refused sternly. Just the mention of the idea was able to ruin his mood.

"Hi baby!" said a warm female voice at the end of the phone. "missed me?"

"A lot baby! I wish you were here with me" Seunghyun replied in a loving tone.

"Me too~" said Bom cutely. "How are you doing? Did you eat well? Did you sleep well?" she asked.

"I had dinner with Nick. We closed the exhibition earlier this time" he replied with a chuckle.

"Really? How come?" Bom asked curiously. 

"Somehow, we managed to sell all the remaining paintaings. So, we're closing for now" he explained.

"Wow amazing! Congrats baby ! I'm soooooo happy for you" Bom exclaimed happily. "I guess it's time for me to go back! Let's go on a vacation and have some fun!"

"Um.. actually.. I don't think that's a good idea.. ugh!" Seunghyun replied, uncertain of what to say. 

"Why? What's wrong?" Bom asked, worriedly. 

"My brother.. he called yesterday. He said I should go home because it's a matter of life or death, and today he sent me a plane ticket for tomorrow" Seunghyun explained. "Bom, I don't know what to do. You know how I dislike it there. I don't wanna go, but I'm afraid I'd regret it later"

"Take it easy, Seunghyun. Like I said before, it's all in your head. You keep thinking of the past. Your brother needs you right now, and you should be with him. It's hard on him too, don't you think so?" said Bom, and the only thing she could hear for a moment was Seunghyun's breathing.

"I guess you're right!" he finally talked.

"Go Seunghyun! Face your fears and get over them. You can't be like this forever" Bom said, encouragingly.

"I will, Bom! I'm going!" he replied with more confidence than before. Bom always managed to boost his self-confidence.

"That's great, Seunghyun. I'm so proud of you" she said, lovingly. "Call me when you get there. I love you so much, baby" she added, blowing a kiss through the phone. 

"Alright, baby! I love you more" Seunghyun replied before they ended the call.

He sat there for seconds, smiling like a fool. Bom never failed to make him happy and uplift his mood. 

End of flashback 

Seunghyun sighed defeatedly. He decided to follow his girlfriend's advice, but the more he got closer to his parents' house, the more his heart pounded loudly in his chest. He wanted to call Bom and tell her he arrived safely, but he was afraid he wouldn't be able to control his emotions over the phone. At last, he simply sent a text message and put his phone aside. Today is going to be a long day for Seunghyun. 

On the other side of the city, Jinwoo was still wandering in the wide and endless streets of Seoul looking for a part-time job. All the shops and stores he had passed by so far weren't looking for any part-timers at the moment. Some of them were offering him a full-time job, which is by far impossible in his case as a high school student.

The sun was shining brightly in the sky, almost blinding, and Jinwoo was very tired from all the walking. He noticed an empty bench nearby and sat on it letting his tired limbs relax and gain their strength once again.

People of Seoul were very busy and barely spared him a moment to ask for directions. He was practically lost right now, but he cared less as long as he still hadn't found a suitable place to work in.

As he sat resting, he spotted a bunch of boys dressed in hiphop clothes entering a small restaurant across the street. A group of girls followed behind, squeaking and fangirling over them. Jinwoo thought those boys were probably famous to have all this attention from girls. He used to be like that as well until everyone knew he was poor and turned against him. Fame has a price, after all.

"Huge Boy was really cool in yesterday's diss battle. He left the other boy shaking!" Jinwoo heard a boy say to his friend as they passed by him.

"Daebak! Can't wait to listen to his new mixtape!" replied the other boy. 

"I heard he's working on one with Zico" jumped a girl beside them, and soon their voices faded as they crossed the road and entered the ramen restaurant as well. 

Jinwoo was curious as who this 'Huge Boy' was and how good he was in rapping that everyone was praising him. However, he was more preoccupied with finding a job now than digging up the background of someone else. Right! Jinwoo found himself in a real dilemma right now. Half the day had passed, and he still hadn't found a decent job yet. He stood up from the bench and proceeded to continue his journey of job hunting. However, his phone ring

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter