Chapter 1

Blood Is Thicker Than Water {Editing}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life in Seoul is totally different from life in Imja island. The buildings are big, flashy, and towering up through the clouds. The streets are wide and full with countless pedestrians, cars, buses, bicycles, and all forms of transportations. Everything's lively in Seoul as the habitants and the tourists altogether don't quit visiting historical places, restaurants, shops, galleries, museums, parks, and many other places. Besides, everyone looks busy with their own businesses. It seems like they don't spare a single minute to breathe. 

This wasn't Jinwoo's first time to come to Seoul, but he never had a proper look at the city like today. Last time he was here, he didn't have the chance to go out or explore the city even for a little bit. The Mathematics competition took place in a high school early in the morning, so Jinwoo was asleep the whole ride there and woke up only when they arrived at their destination. They stayed there the whole day and by the time they departed back home it was already night. Despite the bright lights of the city, Jinwoo didn't pay much attention to his surroundings as he was dead tired by then. 

I'll get to see more of the city in the future now, he thought still looking out the small truck's window.

After almost one hour driving through the streets of Seoul, Jinwoo and his parents finally arrived to their new house. It was a small underground place divided into four parts. A part as a cramped room, another part double in size of the first room, a walk-in kitchen, and a small bathroom. This new place was smaller than their old house back in Imja island.

They didn't bring many furnitures or stuff. Most things they owned were sold out back at Imja as they needed more money and less struggle moving out. Mr. Kim paid the small truck's owner for his transport, while Mrs. Kim went in to clean their new house. It didn't take more than 15minutes for her to finish cleaning, and soon they started bringing in their stuff. Mr. Kim wanted to help, but both Jinwoo and Mrs. Kim didn't let him because he was sick and should rest from the long trip. Mrs. Kim quickly set a duvet, a pillow and a cover on the floor for her husband to lie on. Mr. Kim felt really tired and his heart started hurting him, so he didn't argue anymore with them. He had his medicines and laid down on the duvet to sleep. 

By the time Mrs. Kim went to help Jinwoo unpacking their stuff, Jinwoo had nearly finished the whole mission. He did everything fast in order to let his parents rest. 

"Wow! You're so fast, Jinwoo-ah!" said Mrs. Kim, impressed.

"There aren't much stuff anyway!" Jinwoo replied smiling at his mother.

"I'll finish what remained. You go and buy us some ramen packs, okay?" Mrs. Kim said, and Jinwoo headed toward the door but suddenly stopped.

"It might take me a long time, though! I mean I don't know this area quite well yet!" he said scratching his nape. 

"Okay, just be careful my dear," Mrs. Kim nodded.

Truth to be told, Jinwoo is bad at finding directions. Whenever he goes somewhere new and strange for him, he gets lost and it takes him an eternity to find his way back. Jinwoo blamed it on where he grew up. Imja island is a simple place where you won't get lost even if a plane droped you on it. There are no similar buildings or entangled roads. Every place stands distinct from the other. There is no way you'll ever get lost there. 

However, this is Seoul, one of the most populated cities in South Korea. Buildings are everywhere, intersections are wherever you go, and similar buildings are nowadays big cities' trend. Jinwoo will probably get lost right away. 

He went out from the house and stood for quite a moment wondering which direction to take; to go left or to go right. Both ways were the same anyways; just houses, no hint of any mart nearby. He'd got to give it a chance.

As he was trying to make a decision, he saw a girl walking out of her house and down the street. It was his chance to ask her for help. He ran quickly trying to catch up with her because she soon disappeared into another street. Jinwoo managed to reach that point in few seconds, but again there was no sign of the girl. He sighed, defeated. He kept walking in that same way hoping he'd find another person. Luckily, he did after a while, but that person told him he has to go back from where he lives and walk in the other direction. Jinwoo face-palmed himself at his stupidity. And yes, Jinwoo is stupid when it comes to directions. 

"I always tell myself not to follow people but still do it! Aish!" he scolded himself, feeling irritated.

He his heels proceeding to go back to where he had started from. He walked and walked, but he never found his way home. On the contrary, the more he walked, the more new buildings and places appeared in front of him. At last, he found himself in a strange place. He started spinning in his spot, the high buildings making him dizzy. Finally, he stopped and tried to calm down which helped because he suddenly spotted a small mart exactly in front of him.

"Assa!" he punched his fist in the air happily. "At least I will buy ramen for now!" he walked into the mart and bought ten ramen packs. Not as if they'd eat them all for lunch, but just to have enough 'food' at home for a while. He paid for the packs and went out procceeding to find his way home. He tried to assume the most possible road to lead him home, but everything looked the same for him. He then just walked again, praying hard to find his way miraculously.  

"Oh my God, it's been almost two hours since I left the house!" he said shakingly when he looked at his watch. He was tired but also afraid his parents would be worried about him. He suddenly panicked and started running with no specific direction in mind, he just hoped he'd find his way by chance. 

As he turned hurriedly into another street, he crushed into someone hard resulting in both of them to fall on the ground. Jinwoo looked at the other person who seemed like he was checking his guitar's state. Jinwoo suddenly was afraid he broke the boy's guitar and quickly took his plastic bag from the ground and stood up to fix the situation.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry I bumped into you like that!" Jinwoo said apologetically.

The other boy finally took his eyes off his guitar. Jinwoo noticed how it wasn't a new one judging from all the scribbles on it.

"It's okay, I'm fine!" the boy replied dismissiv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter