Chapter 2

Blood Is Thicker Than Water {Editing}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungyoon was so frustrated and annoyed by the phone call he had received earlier. He wanted to know more about Jinwoo whom he found so nice and interesting, but that call prevented him from doing so. Truth to be told, Seungyoon had been a loner since he returned to live in Seoul with his parents two years ago. He barely had any close friends to him after both his grandparents died. For him, Jinwoo, even as a hyung, seemed to be a good company he could get close to. 

He sighed messing his hair as he made it through the gates of their huge mansion. He walked past the front garden to the main door. He opened it and went up quickly to his room. He put his guitar aside on his bed and entered the bathroom to take a quick shower. His mind had been preoccupied with the new song he was making that he completely forgot about the business dinner his father arranged specifically to sign a contract with one of the most successful businessmen in Seoul. Seungyoon wasn't interested in all those things, but being the son of K.G group chairman, he was forced to attend all those boring business dinners. Each time, he needed to act accordingly and show extra respect and etiquettes to his father's guests when he wasn't one bit interested in that. What frustrated him more was when his father would start bragging about his guitar abilities to his special guests just to gain their interest and entertain them. They would in return ask him to play for them a piece of his music. Seungyoon thanks God each time afterwards that he never sang in front of his parents or brother, or they'd start asking him to sing as well. 

After a quick shower, Seungyoon wore a black suit with a white shirt underneath it and a black tie. He put on his shoes, took his phone, and quickly went out from the mansion where the driver was waiting for him.

"Good evening, Mr. Kim!" he greeted the middle-aged driver with a smile. Seungyoon always treated their servants with respect unlike his parents and older bother. 

"Good evening, young master Seungyoon," Mr. Kim greeted back with a smile as well before pulling the backseat door open for Seungyoon. 

When Seungyoon got in the car, he was surprised to find his older brother sitting beside him. 

"Hi!" he said shortly as he settled in his place. He felt uncomfortable with his brother beside him. 

"Why are you late again?" his older brother asked coldly, stressing on the word 'again'. 

"I got stuck in traffic!" Seungyoon answered as coldly, looking out the window. He had no intentions to start a conversation with the infamous Kang Daesung as he calls him. 

Kang Daesung is Seungyoon's older brother, and he's totally different from Seungyoon. They are like day and night. While Seungyoon is a humble and kindhearted guy, Daesung is an underestimating person. He always sees people below him, while thinks highly of himself. He is 24 years old and a university graduate with a business & management degree. His father, Chairman Kang, assigned him to take over their family hotel to gain more experience.

"You still write songs?" Daesung said with a smirk plastered on his lips.

Seungyoon was surprised with his hyung's question but hid it well, wearing a confused look instead.

"What songs! I only play music with my guitar!" he scoffed. 

"Come on, I heard you the other day singing in your room a song in its package," Daesung said, amusingly.

"That's none of your business anyway!" Seungyoon said nonchalantly. He wasn't in the mood to talk about his personal things with his annoying hyung.

"We'll see!" Daesung mumbled smirking, but Seungyoon heard him. 

The car finally pulled in front of their family hotel. One of the employees opened the door for them, and Seungyoon got off quickly already feeling bored. Daesung got off as well, and both of them went inside and into a private room where Chairman Kang and their mother, Mrs. Kang were sitting with their special guest. Both Seungyoon and Daesung bowed to them politely and walked to shake the guest's hand as their father introduced them to him. 

"This is Kang Daesung, my eldest son. He is the one currently in charge of this hotel," introduced Chairman Kang proudly. 

"Nice to meet a dedicated young man like you, Kang Daesung-ssi" said the special guest with interest.

"It's an honor to meet you actually, Chairman Lee!" Daesung replied politely, making his parents chuckle proudly.

Seungyoon only rolled his eyes at their excessive attention to his hyung. Seungyoon finds his parents so fake around other people.

When Daesung finally stepped aside after his small talk with Chairman Lee, Seungyoon stretched his hand to the guest's and shook it firmly.

"Nice handshake!" remarked Mr. Lee, and Seungyoon thanked him smirking internally. He could clearly see the shocked look on his parents' and brother's faces.

Seungyoon had almost no contact with the upper-class society when he lived in Busan with his affordable maternal grand parents. His parents also made no effort to teach him their daily etiquette. However, Seungyoon secretly learned how to be just like them. He knew he would need those exclusive lessons one day, and today was one of them.

 After he had started living with his parents for two years now, he always acted freely, according to no rules, just like any normal person. That's why his parents and brother were taken by surprise to see him totally blending into their world.

"And who is this gentleman?" asked Mr. Lee looking interestingly at Seungyoon.

"Ah!" said Chairman Kang, finally snapping out from his trance. "This is my youngest son, Kang Seungyoon. He is still a high school student, though"

"Young but well-mannered" said Mr. Lee, smiling at Seungyoon. 

"Thank you, sir! It's nice to meet you!" Seungyoon replied. Mr. Lee nodded approvingly.

"Interesting then!" he said before taking a seat. Seungyoon and Daesung followed suit.

Moments later, dinner was served and they started eating while Chairman Kang and Chairman Lee talked further about their next investment in the new entreprise. Seungyoon ate his dinner silently, while paying attention to what's going on but not really interested.

For the rest of the dinner, Seungyoon was really bored and hoped they would finish soon because he felt like suffocating listening to his parents' and brother's endless hypocrite talk. They would always talk about wealth and superiority over the poor and employees under them. He sees them as the most hypocrite, racist and arrogant people ever. They never cared for him or showered him with love as a family supposed to do. They only sought after power and materialistics, and they would do whatever it takes for them to reach this goal, even if they were to step on those under them or ruin their lives.

Seungyoon disliked his father the most. On many occasions, he saw what an oppressive and wrongful man his father was, and it pained him a lot because no matter how much he hated the man, he was still his father after all. His mother had always been busy with her wealthy friends, meeting at expensive restaurants and hotels to brag about their wealth and invaluable jeweleries and clothes they buy. Mrs. Kang is a very materialistic woman. She would often scold Seungyoon whenever he dressed decently or casually like his peers. She would always set Daesung as an example for him to follow because her eldest son pretty much resembles her and just by looking at him, you will see wealth emitting from the way he dresses and the car he drives.

Seungyoon, on the other hand, is very modest and down to earth. For him, people are the same whether they were rich or poor; white or black; disabled or sound. He cared less in that perspective as long as the person is polite and respectful. Such traits attracted him to Jinwoo immediately that's why he decided to help him right away. Besides, he felt very lonely then and wanted someone to liven his mood, which Jinwoo partially did.

 

Flashback

Kang Seungyoon lived most of his childhood with his maternal grandparents in Busan. At that time, he was only six years old when his parents decided to immigrate to the U.S so suddenly. Seungyoon was very young then and didn't understand why they had to leave the country. It was during a spring vacation that both Seungyoon and Daesung spent at their grandparents' house in Busan. Seungyoon liked it the most there with his grandparents because they always treated him well and showered him with love and tenderness. Seungyoon was the happiest with them than with his parents.

However, one early morning, his parents came to take him and his hyung back announcing the news of their sudden and urgent immigration to the US. Mr. Han, Seungyoon's grandfather asked them if they were just going on a short vacation and would come back again, but Mr. and Mrs. Kang said they would stay there for years and mightn't come back at all. When Seungyoon heard that, he started crying hard and refused to go with them to a foreign country far away from his dearest grandparents. For him, living with his parents meant misery and suffocation because they mostly neglected him and the relationship of parents-son in his life was just an understatement.

"You will go with us, and that's final!" shouted Mr. Kang dragging Seungyooon by his arm with force.

"N-no, I don't w-wanna g-go" Seungyoon hiccuped, struggling in his father's arms. "Halmeoni! Harabeoji! I w-wanna s-stay with them" he cried harder pleadingly. "P-please leave m-me here!"

"You don't get it!" Mrs. Kang yelled. "We're leaving for good and won't come back!" 

"Just go and leave me!" Seungyoon yelled back as he finally got free from his father's grip. 

SLAP!

"How dare you!" 

Seungyoon landed on the floor from the hard slap. He held his burning cheek as more hot tears streamed down his eyes. He was so shocked that his own mother hit him that he started wailing and trembling from both pain and fear.

"YOU, HOW DARE YOU!" the grandfather yelled at his daughter. "I can't believe my own daughter is abusing her little innocent son like that! How can a mother be like that!" he scolded her, feeling shamefull of his daughter.

Han Jimin, knwon as Mrs. Kang currently, is an only daughter of her parents. She grew up in an affordable family but was never grateful for what her parents offered her and always sought for more. She became a top model in Korea and during a big event, she got introduced to Kang Minsoo, who fell for her charms right away. Everything happened so fast as they had their engagement a month later and got married within six months of their relationship. Han Jimin was the happiest at that period of time because she hit the jackpot. She was already rich thanks to her modeling career, but when she married Kang Minsoo, she became privileged. She bought a lot of expensive clothes to her parents just to show that her family is very presentable into her new social class. However, right after the marriage, she rarely invited them to her in-laws' house or paid them a visit unless Minsoo's parents asked about them. When she gave birth to Daesung, she gave all her attention to him and as he grew up, she granted him all his wishes. For her and Minsoo, Daesung is the rightful successor of K.G group, and he needs to be equipped from all aspects. However, that wasn't the case for Seungyoon. The poor kid barely received any love or affection from his mother or his father. He was addressed as their son but was treated unfairly in comparison to Daesung. For them, Seungyoon is just an additional kid that maybe was born by mistake and shouldn't have been there in the first place. Both Jimin and Minsoo had to keep the baby because if they had got rid of him, Jimin's life would have been in danger. So, in their minds, Seungyoon is just a child that was forced to exist in their life, and they had to keep him because of their reputation to the public.

"He's all yours, then!" Han Jimin retorted. "I can't even stand him!" she added, throwing the most disgusted look at Seungyoon, who started crying and sobbing even harder. His grandmother hugged him, trying to soothe him and calm him down.

"HE'S YOUR SON! HOW CAN YOU SAY SUCH THING TO HIS FACE!" Mr. Han yelled even more. 

"I don't care! I don't want him!" Jimin replied coldly. 

She held Daesung's hand and turned to her husband.

"Let's go, Minsoo-ah! We've got nothing left to do here!" she said before exiting her parents house with Daesung, without even sparing her Seungyoon a look or saying good bye to him. 

Kang Minsoo sighed as he looked at his youngest son's state. "Let's meet one day!" that was the only thing he said before going after his wife and eldest son.

For the rest of the day, Seungyoon cried and cried until he developped a high fever and got hospitalized for three days. His grandparents accompanied him all that while, trying to make up for the love and tenderness he lacked from his own parents, and make him forget the pain and emptiness they inflected to his heart. He was just a six-year-old kid for goodness' sake, but they treated him like some sinner. It took Seungyoon one whole month to finally forget and move on after suffering from nightmares and panic attacks. Mr. and Mrs. Kang never asked about him ever since that dark day, but still sent a monthly expense to his current guardians. Mr. and Mrs. Han

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter