chapter seven

Two Wrists, Two Tattoos

Author's Note: Warning! This chapter is terribly long and I'm sorry about that.


Chanyeol still keeps his distance from the two and opts to watch Kyungsoo insert a key to the knob and push the door open. “Wow,” he hears Jongin mutter under his breath as he takes his first few steps inside the apartment. Wow indeed, Chanyeol thinks as he steps inside, his eyes captured by the silhouette painting on the wall opposite the door.

It’s a small apartment, Chanyeol notes, but that doesn’t make it any less captivating. On the wall are two trees painted on each side of the wall, its branches beautifully designed to spread out into the middle. Right on the empty space in between the trees is where a uniquely designed black clock hangs. There’s a couch by the wall on his right where standing right across it is a flat screen television.

Chanyeol notices Jongin staring at the ceiling which brings him to look up as well, and up there is a painting of the blue sky with a circular fluorescent lamp strategically placed in the middle where the clouds spread open to seemingly allow sunlight to pass through.

Chanyeol looks to his left and finds a small kitchen composed of a stove, oven and sink with a small refrigerator, drawers – and is that a mini washing machine? – underneath, and hanging above are wooden white cabinets. Further to the right is a mirrored wall and a small dining table with five wooden chairs. There are three closed doors which Chanyeol assumes to lead to bedrooms and a restroom.

It’s beautiful.

“I share this apartment with my older brother.” Kyungsoo tells with a sheepish smile. “Since our parents live in the province, we had to move into this small apartment.” Kyungsoo leans against the wall by the television, the bouquet and chocolates in his hands. “My brother’s out though. He’s usually with his girlfriend during weekends.”

Jongin tilts his head. “Just a girlfriend or…?”

Kyungsoo smiles. “Nah, soulmate. He doesn’t have the same perspective as I do.” Kyungsoo gestures to the couch. “Go ahead, have a seat. I’ll just go and prepare our lunch.” Kyungsoo turns but continues speaking. “I prepared pasta; sure do hope that’s something to your liking. It would be real embarrassing if you don’t eat pasta.”


Chanyeol picks on his food, twirling the noodles lazily around his fork. His posture against the wooden chair is laid back and there’s a frown settled on his face as he hears – but doesn’t listen, can’t listen to – Jongin and Kyungsoo talk and have a good time together.

Chanyeol had initially expected that this date would go somehow better than his previous one, considering Jongin would be there to calm his nerves and make the atmosphere the slightest bit more comfortable. But things went a complete turn and the atmosphere is twice as tense, twice as suffocating. Chanyeol wants nothing more than to go back home and have a long and peaceful rest.

Kyungsoo’s voice is getting louder, Chanyeol notices but it seems as if there are ear plugs stuck in his ears and he’s in his own world. But it gets louder and louder and Chanyeol finally realizes that Kyungsoo is talking to him.

“—yeol? Hey, Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol snaps his head up from his plate of pasta and looks back at Kyungsoo’s inquiring gaze. “Yeah?” He replies dumbly. “Sorry, I – uh – I zoned out for a moment there.”

“Do you not like pasta?” Kyungsoo tilts his head and Chanyeol looks back down at his plate and realizes he has yet to take a bite. He looks up again, his eyes falling on Jongin who’s sending him a warning glare.

“Yeah, no – I do.” Chanyeol says as he looks back down. “Sorry, I – can I go to the restroom?”

Kyungsoo stands up, his chair scraping against the floor as he motions towards the door closest to the television. “Yeah, go ahead. It’s behind this door.”

“Thanks.” Chanyeol stands up quietly and tries to push the door open. Confused, Chanyeol tries to pull it instead but still no luck.

There’s a low giggle – Chanyeol supposes it’s Kyungsoo’s – before the resident of the apartment speaks up. “You slide it to the right.”

“Oh.” Chanyeol grabs onto the handle and slides it just the way Kyungsoo instructed him to do so and the door folds itself into two. Really, how much more interesting can this apartment get? Chanyeol steps inside and closes the door behind him. He immediately leans against the door, his head thumping against the glass mosaic softly. He lets out a deep breath and closes his eyes, resulting that his sense of hearing get heightened, allowing him to hear the conversation going on from the other side of the door.

“Is Chanyeol still mad at me?”

“I don’t think that’s the cause of his silence, really.”

“What do you mean?”

“We got into an argument just now—“

Chanyeol decides to step in just there, his hands fumbling to slide the door open. He gently closes the door behind him as he glances between the other occupants of the room, who in turn regard him in deep thought. Jongin is the first to look away, a twitch on his mouth informing Chanyeol that he’s still very much angry at him. Chanyeol lets out a sigh before he could stop himself and goes back to his seat.


Really, Chanyeol lost his appetite as soon as Jongin started the argument. He can’t bring himself to bring his fork up into his mouth for more than a couple of times. On the other hand, Jongin and Kyungsoo have finished their meals and has decided to move to the couch and watch a movie. With as few words as Chanyeol could muster, he explained to Kyungsoo his lack of appetite and Kyungsoo gathers his plate with the rest of the other plates and utensils.

Jongin plops down to the edge of the couch and relishes on the soft plush of the furniture. Kyungsoo laughs at the sight and takes a seat right next to him. This leaves Chanyeol to sit on Kyungsoo’s other side with a considerable amount of space between them.

They decided on watching the live action version of Beauty and the Beast and Chanyeol tries his best to concentrate his eyes on the television screen despite his lack of interest in the movie. He hears them chat, and Chanyeol tries to keep his annoyance at bay. Since when have they gotten so close?

Thirty minutes into the movie and Kyungsoo and Jongin are barely paying attention to the screen at all, opting to just talk with one another.

“There’s this whole issue about Beauty and the Beast, you know.” Jongin says nonchalantly. “The whole thing.”

Kyungsoo snorts. “Yeah, right. Have you heard of Jon Cozart’s After Ever After?”

Jongin jumps in his seat and turns his body to face Kyungsoo. “Oh my God, yes! I’ve listened to it a hundred times.” Jongin chuckles, and Chanyeol wishes he’s the one who’s caused such a reaction from the younger guy. “I couldn’t stop thinking about it when I first watched this.”

“You watched it in the cinema?” Kyungsoo asks but doesn’t give Jongin the time to answer before he poses another question. “Did you watch it with Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol turns his head at this and watches Jongin’s smile falter as he waves the thought away. “Psh, no! You can never get that guy to watch romance movies.”

Kyungsoo hums and opens his mouth to say something when a phone rings, accompanied by violent vibration, leaving Kyungsoo’s next words stuck on the tip of his tongue. Jongin fishes out his phone and looks at the caller ID. “Oh, it’s my mom.” He says as he excuses himself and walks towards the dining space to have a bit of privacy.

An awkward atmosphere falls when Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are left alone, sitting right by each other, with the only noise in the room being Jongin’s voice and the ongoing movie.

Jongin returns a few minutes later with a sheepish look on his face. “My mom wants me home early. Sorry to cut this, uhm, date short but I have to go.”

Kyungsoo stands up and Chanyeol follows suit, thankful for the excuse to leave the apartment early. “It’s okay,” Kyungsoo says. “Let me lead you downstairs.” Kyungsoo goes to open the door and lets Jongin out the door first – Chanyeol wonders if that’s the kind of gesture that makes Jongin swoon. “Also, if the both of you don’t mind, can Chanyeol stay a bit longer?”

Chanyeol’s eyes grow large at this and looks helplessly at Jongin. The other is shocked himself but quickly regains composure, as he replies with a deadly glare set on Chanyeol. “I’m sure Chanyeol would love to spend more time with you.” Jongin looks back towards Kyungsoo with a small smile. “And I surely don’t mind at all.”


Once Jongin has said his final goodbyes and the other two have returned to the comfort of the Kyungsoo’s small apartment, the awkward atmosphere falls heavily between them again. Or maybe it’s only Chanyeol who’s feeling this way, judging by the way Kyungsoo moves around the room with ease.  Chanyeol opts to sit on the couch and fiddle with his fingers. The movie is still playing on the television and Chanyeol is thankful for the background noise – somehow it helps ease the tension in his muscles.

“Hot chocolate?” Chanyeol looks up and sees Kyungsoo’s head turned towards him. “Or would you prefer it iced?”

Chanyeol stares at Kyungsoo, wondering what’s going on in his mind. The last time they’ve been alone together, things didn’t go well. Why is he being so nice to him? “Hot, please.” Chanyeol replies, despite being more of a coffee person.

This is torture. Chanyeol looks back down at his fingers. His phone vibrates against his thigh and he opens it to a text message from Jongin. ‘Don’t you dare screw things up a second time.’ Great.

It takes around five minutes before Kyungsoo finishes making the drinks, though it felt longer – and Chanyeol wishes it had been longer. Time is so slow when all you want to do is get out of the room as soon as possible.

Kyungsoo sits on the couch as carefully as possible, two steaming mugs of hot chocolate in either of his hands. “Here you go.” He offers one of the mugs to Chanyeol. “Careful, it’s hot.” Chanyeol reaches for the mug but retracts his hands before he could even touch the surface. Kyungsoo lets out a chuckle. “I should’ve thought this through first.” Kyungsoo stands up again and places the mug on the counter by the painted wall, instead.

“Kyungsoo, what are you doing?” Chanyeol asks, as he watches Kyungsoo go back to his seat, his body faced towards Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo takes a tentative sip from his hot beverage, his eyes trained on Chanyeol. “I wanted to talk to you.” He sets his mug down on his clothed thigh, the warmth slowly seeping through the fabric. “You’ve been awfully quiet today.”

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. “Last time we were together, things didn’t really work out smoothly.”

“I know.” Kyungsoo sighs as he looks down on his knee. “But when are we going to try to make things work? When are we going to start to even just talk comfortably with one another?”

Chanyeol scoffs. “Kyungsoo, you do know that you’re my best friend’s ex, right?” Chanyeol’s hands curl into fists as he feels his anger boil inside him. “Besides, how come you’re all over Jongin now? It’s only been a few weeks! Did you even really love Baekhyun?”

Hey!” Kyungsoo’s raised his voice, offense evident in his posture as he lifts his mug to place it on the ground. “Don’t you dare question my love for Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo closes his eyes and takes a sharp inhale, holding it for a few seconds before releasing it into a loud sigh. He opens his eyes and looks Chanyeol dead in the eye. “I love Baekhyun. With all my heart.” Chanyeol takes note of the present tense in which Kyungsoo stated his feelings. “But this is Baekhyun’s wish. This is what he wanted for us.” Kyungsoo’s eyes turn soft again, his tense muscles going lax. “There is no rush here, Chanyeol. Jongin and I are only friends as of yet.” Kyungsoo pauses but Chanyeol makes no move to speak. “So what’s keeping us from being the same? From being friends?”

Chanyeol stays silent, closing his eyes as he wills his mind to calm. In a strained voice, he forces out his words. “You are my best friend’s ex-boyfriend.” Chanyeol worries on his lips but he dare not open his eyes, he dare not look at Kyungsoo’s face at all. “I can’t – it feels like betrayal every moment I spend with you.”

“I see.” Kyungsoo’s voice is soft and it coerces Chanyeol to open his eyes. “Chanyeol, I think it’s about time that you stop seeing me as Baekhyun’s ex. We don’t have to be all lovey-dovey – God, am I not prepared for that yet.” Kyungsoo chuckles softly. “But open your heart, Chanyeol, even just a tiny bit of crack. Allow me to ease my way in – not as your boyfriend, not as your soulmate, but definitely not as Baekhyun’s ex. See me just as I am – pure and plain Do Kyungsoo.”


Chanyeol lies on his bed and stares up at the ceiling, Kyungsoo’s words ringing repeatedly in his ears. He doesn’t know what to make of it, doesn’t know how to feel about it.

I think it’s about time that you stop seeing me as Baekhyun’s ex.

But how does he do that? How, when it’s the only thing that fills his brain every time Kyungsoo’s face comes to mind – even more so when he’s in his line of sight?

Open your heart. Allow me to ease my way in.

Chanyeol closes his eyes and wonders if he can really do that. He doesn’t even know if he wants to try.

What’s keeping us from being friends?

Can he actually manage to be friends with the one who stole his best friend’s heart and ended up breaking it? But is it really Kyungsoo’s fault when it’s them who barged into his life and turned it upside down? Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were doing so well – they were so happy, but their wretched tattoos came to ruin their happiness, their love. Chanyeol and Jongin didn’t mean to steal Kyungsoo away from Baekhyun – hell, they didn’t even have any plans to do so. If anything, they only wanted to meet the guy that made Baekhyun’s heart flutter.

A loud ringing tears Chanyeol away from his thoughts. It’s Jongin. Chanyeol falters and second guesses whether he should answer it – this day had taken its toll on him and his emotional state is beyond exhausted. All he wants to do right now is rest.

The call drops but it only takes a few seconds before the phone rings again. Chanyeol sighs and holds his phone to his eye level. “Hey.” He says into the phone, his exhaustion evident in his voice.

Hey,” Jongin says on the other end, a sniffle following soon after he uttered his greeting. Great. He’s crying again. Chanyeol doesn’t know if he still has the energy for this. Two emotional conversations is still somehow tolerable; three is just plain pushing it. “Chanyeol?

Chanyeol turns to his side. “Yeah, I’m here.”

I just – I just wanted to say I’m sorry.” Jongin’s voice is soft and Chanyeol can imagine the tears streaking down his face, although he has no idea why he’s apologizing at all. “I – my emotional outburst was uncalled for. I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to.

“You don’t have to apologize, Jongin.” Chanyeol holds his phone close to his ear and his body curls into itself. “It’s about time I knew.”

But – Chanyeol.. I don’t – I don’t want to pressure you into anything.” A sob comes from the other end of the line but Chanyeol waits patiently for Jongin to finish his statement. “I don’t want you to change. I’m happy with who you are. You don’t have to change. You shouldn’t change for me.” Chanyeol hears faint shuffling and wonders if Jongin’s in the same position as he is right now. “You’re my soulmate, Chanyeol. And I have to accept you as you are. And I do – I really do. I’ve been selfish and I’m sorry. This isn’t how it’s supposed to be.

“Jongin, please.” Chanyeol lets out a small chuckle but it only sounds tired more than anything else. “Stop apologizing – there’s nothing for you to be sorry about.”

There’s a lot for me to apologize for.” Jongin insists. “I’ve been so so selfish and I’m really sorry. I can’t – I can’t believe I put you into that situation.”

“Really, it’s okay, Jongin.” Chanyeol purses his lips before continuing. “I understand where you’re coming from – well, trying to understand.” Chanyeol lets out a shaky laugh. “I just – I just need time to process everything that’s happened today.”

I’m still sorry.”

“Didn’t I tell you to stop apologizing?” Chanyeol laughs softly. “Sorry, I’ve got to go, Jongin. My eyes are failing me and my head’s spinning. See you at school tomorrow?”

Okay. See you.

And with that, Chanyeol ends the call. He lets out a deep sigh and holds his hands up to his cheek, only the slightest bit surprised to find it wet with tears. He brings his phone up to his eye level and ponders for a while. Oh, well, he thinks as he types out a text message.

Friends help each other out, right? Well, I need your help.

Sending this would mean that he accepts the possibility of a friendship with Kyungsoo, Baekhyun’s ex – as much as he wanted to try, he just couldn’t keep it from his mind. But it’s about time he put effort into this whole thing, just as Jongin and Kyungsoo do. It won’t be easy... but he supposes it’s worth a shot.

Right?

Chanyeol presses the send button, anyway.


Author's Note: What do you think of this chapter? Tell me in the comments below because I'd love to hear your thoughts! Anticipate the future chapters because I have a lot more in store for this fic. Thank you for reading! ♡