chapter four

Two Wrists, Two Tattoos

Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo whispers to no one as his hundredth call to the older comes up with no answer, yet again. It’s been a week since the prom fiasco and Baekhyun hasn’t contacted him since. He’s tried all the usual places he knows Baekhyun might go to but ends up with nothing.

Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo lifts his hands and stares at his wrists, both tattoos bearing Baekhyun’s nickname. The tattoos appeared years before he started dating Baekhyun, knowing even before meeting him that he is definitely not the one for him.

But once he met Baekhyun, he was absolutely enchanted by his charm. And despite being fully aware that Baekhyun is not his soulmate, but quite possibly the bridge to meeting him (them?), he fell in love and courted Baekhyun.

He loved Baekhyun so much (and he still does) that he became completely smitten by Baekhyun’s appeal that he forgot about his soulmates, and how it would be Baekhyun who would bring him his soulmates. He forgot and became completely careless.

How could he have not remembered that it could be Baekhyun’s friends?

Oh, right. Because he refused to think about it at all. Kyungsoo let out a humorless laugh as a tear slips from his eye and falls down onto the pillow underneath him. Everything is so screwed up.

And though he doesn’t mind the idea of a polyamorous relationship, he doesn’t like the fact that it has to be with his boyfriend’s (or is Baekhyun his ex now?) best friends.

The two are charming, yes. The moment his eyes landed on the both of them, the first thought that came into mind was that they were handsome – that had he not loved Baekhyun so much, he might have gone after one of them. It was a fleeting thought, yes, but it was still there. It had still crossed his mind. He had felt somehow guilty before, but their alluring effect on him now made sense: they are his soulmates.

Soulmates.

With everything so messed up, how is it even going to work out for the three of them? In normal circumstances, it would still baffle him how they would manage to create a harmonious three-way relationship until they grow old, but adding that with the fact they went off with a rocky start? Kyungsoo doesn’t know anymore.

The phone on his stomach buzzes and Kyungsoo immediately raises it to his eye level, and much to his delight, it’s a text from Byun Baekhyun himself!

But as he reads the contents, his stomach falls and he dreads the following days to come.

Please, give my friends a chance. Their names are Jongin and Chanyeol. Jongin was the one who spoke up first and Chanyeol was the one with the dark blue undershirt.

Another text.

I love you, Kyungsoo. But it’s just not meant to be. Please be happy, please give them a chance. For me, at least.

Kyungsoo sighs and lets the phone fall back onto his stomach.


Give him a few days, Baekhyun had said. Give him a few days to recover then ask him out.

It’s been ten days since prom and Jongin supposes it’s been enough of a break, though he doubts anyone would recover from such a heartbreak that fast. Even he, himself, feels like it isn’t enough of a time to get over from the shock of how badly things turned out. But if nobody is going to make the first move, Jongin supposes that it might as well be him.

Having gotten Kyungsoo’s cell number from Baekhyun, Jongin types out a text. “Hey, it’s Jongin. One of your soulmates—“ Jongin pauses, mulling over his last sentence. He decides against it and tries again. “Hey, it’s Jongin.” Jongin stares at his phone and wonders how he should say it, whether he should just go straight to the point or coat it with flowery words. Jongin decides to go for the former. “Would you like to go out on a date with me so I can get to know you better?

Jongin and Chanyeol have come to a final decision of taking Kyungsoo out on separate dates, so as to not overwhelm the other. Though they’d very much like to have each other’s company as they tread on unfamiliar circumstances, they knew better than to prioritize their own comfort.

Jongin’s phone buzzes and he brings it up to see a text back from Kyungsoo: “Ok”

Jongin frowns at the one-word reply, unsure whether to feel discouraged by the lack of a proper response or to feel content that, at least, Kyungsoo agreed to go out on a date with him. Jongin decides not to overthink the response he received and goes on to send another text regarding the details of their date.

Yet again, he receives a simple “Ok.”

Jongin sighs and flumps back onto his bed.

Kyungsoo…


Jongin can’t sit still on the couch inside the café. It’s not the same café that he and Baekhyun went to before; he’s not dumb enough to bring back old memories of an ex when he’s here trying to win the other over. Why does it sound like a competition? Jongin brushes off the thought.

One of the baristas approach him with a tray balanced on one hand. Jongin greets him with a smile, still moving insistently on his seat. “Nervous on a first date?” The barista guesses as he puts down the two beverages Jongin has ordered.

Jongin lets out a nervous breath. “Yeah,” Jongin replies with an uneasy smile. “Circumstances are quite difficult at the moment.” The barista nods his head and leaves him with a good luck.

As soon as the barista turned his back on him, Kyungsoo appears with a frown on his face. That can’t be good. But Jongin tries to ignore the gloomy mood and greets him with an enthusiastic, “Hi!” Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow at him and Jongin realizes he may have been a bit too enthusiastic. Man, this is tough. “Sorry, I’m a bit—I’m a bit nervous.” Jongin admits. “I’ve—I’ve never done this before.”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrow falls back to its normal level and Jongin thinks that’s a good sign – at least, he hopes it is. “I ordered you hot chocolate.” Jongin points out as Kyungsoo’s eyes fall onto the cup of hot beverage placed right before his seat.

“Let me guess,” Kyungsoo starts. “Baekhyun told you about my favorite drink?”

Jongin’s head tilts innocently to the side. “Hot chocolate’s your favorite drink?”

Kyungsoo chuckles darkly, “Don’t lie to me. It’s not going to work.”

Jongin blinks. “He really didn’t though.” Jongin looks down as he twists his own hot chocolate in his hand, the warmth seeping through the glass. “He did say you weren’t into coffee-based drinks, but the hot chocolate’s a shot in the dark.” He looks up and forces a small smile. “Hot chocolate’s my favorite.”


Kyungsoo blinks and feels shame wash through him. He’s being too hard on the poor kid, he realizes, but he can’t help the bitterness from seeping through his words. Kyungsoo lets out a sigh. “I’m sorry.” He apologizes with his head downcast. “I’m—I’m being too self-centered here.”

“No, it’s okay!” Jongin rushes to say, prompting Kyungsoo to snap his head up and stare at the younger. “Sorry,” Jongin says with a sheepish smile and Kyungsoo can’t help but think the other’s cute, his child-like charm entrancing Kyungsoo into relaxing even more. “All I mean to say is, it’s okay. I understand.” Kyungsoo takes a sip from his mug as Jongin continues on. “I can’t empathize but what I can do is sympathize. Everything must be so hard for you, and if you’re not completely ready yet, it’s okay.” Jongin gives him a small smile. “Chanyeol and I are willing to wait for you.” Kyungsoo feels a squeeze in his heart as tears threaten to spill. “Until you’re ready to welcome us into your life.”

Kyungsoo sets down his mug and wipes away the tears before it could even fall as he lets out a wobbly chuckle. “God, this is a date, Jongin.” It’s the first time he says Jongin’s name out loud and he realizes he quite likes the way it rolls on his tongue. “Don’t make me cry.” He teases lightheartedly.

“Sorry,” Jongin apologizes yet again, a sheepish smile back on his features. He patiently waits for Kyungsoo to gather himself up again, busying himself with his own beverage.

“So,” Kyungsoo starts when he deems himself presentable again. “I bet Baekhyun’s told you a lot about me,” Kyungsoo notices how Jongin bites his lower lip worriedly and concludes that Jongin is such a worry wart. “But I haven’t heard anything about you, so let’s get to know each other, yeah?”

Jongin’s eyebrows knit together. “Hold on,” Jongin says, a frown settling on his face. “We’ve been friends for what? Seven, eight years?  And he didn’t mention me at all?”

Kyungsoo lets out a genuine laugh. “Nope! Not the slightest bit.”


Kyungsoo offers Jongin a ride home, which the other accepts with great hesitation, reciting his home address soon after. But when Jongin faces the motorcycle Kyungsoo rides every day, his mind goes blank and he tries to back out of the offer.

“Come on,” Kyungsoo laughs. “Look, it’s nearing seven. It’s already dark.” Kyungsoo swings a leg up and rides on the motorcycle. “It’s not safe for kids like you to still be out at such a time.” He puts on his helmet and pats the space behind him.

“I’m just a year younger than you, though.” Jongin grumbles as he takes tiny steps towards the motorcycle, hesitantly grabbing the extra helmet Kyungsoo’s giving him.

Kyungsoo tilts his head, a grin settled on his face. “One-year age difference yet acts way younger.”

“Let me remind you: I’m taller.” Jongin retorts as he swings his leg up and climbs onto the motorbike. “Can I hold onto you? I’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.”

Kyungsoo laughs, his head lolling backwards, the helmet narrowly missing Jongin’s nose. “Such a child!” He exclaims as he reaches for Jongin’s hands and wraps it around his waist.

I’m not a child—“ Jongin’s sentence morphs into a shriek as the motorcycle comes to life and moves ahead.


Kyungsoo falls back onto his bed with the most genuine grin he’s had for at least a week. He recalls the day and he looks back at them with fondness.

He doesn’t know what happened – he fully intended to act like a and scare the other away, but he ended up actually enjoying himself. 

He supposes that maybe, that’s just how soulmates work.

And maybe, he’s no longer as opposed to the idea as he used to be.

Kyungsoo drifts off to sleep with a smile on his face, thoughts of Jongin flooding his brain.


Before going to bed, Jongin types out a simple text.

“Date went great. It’s your turn.”

Chanyeol, on the other side, can’t seem to calm his nerves.


Author's Note: Happy Kaisoo Day!!! 

I swear, I didn't plan to post this Kaisoo part of the fic on Kaisoo day; I was writing it the day before and thought it'd be nice to wait for Kaisoo day before posting it! 

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading! Tell me in the comments how you feel about Kaisoo's date!