Mesmerized

Locker 303

 

But when you are attracted to people, it’s because of the details. Their kindness, their eyes, their smile. The fact that they can get you to laugh when you need it the most.

 

24th August 2015

 

 

It was the end of the typical school day and the classroom was bustling with excitement. Compared to their excited faces, Luhan had his mouth opened in an O shape and Amber was only physically there with the group of them.

 

“I swear I am not fated with Calculus in this life.” Luhan declared as he closed his book. They could not understand in class so they seeked help from Aleyah who scores almost full marks for every calculus test. However, even after she had explained, the 2 of them still could not get it. It was either they were stupid or that calculus loves Aleyah only. They prefer to believe the latter.

 

“I will just look through it again at home.” Amber sighed in defeat. As much as she did not want to revise the subject, she could not afford to fail the upcoming test. “Hopefully I don’t fall asleep again.”

 

“I can’t do this any more!!” Luhan let out a loud groan and crashed onto the table.

 

“You just need lots of practice guys.” Aleyah encouraged them gently but the duo did not seem to be motivated in anyway. She began packing her bag with the rest of them and wondered what should they have for lunch today. Just as she was about to ask, Luhan was already done packing and he stood up from his seat quickly.

 

“I am meeting a friend so I’ll get going first. See you tomorrow guys!” Luhan bid farewell to them and he disappeared from the classroom right away.

 

“What’s wrong with him today?” Aleyah asked Amber upon noticing his weird behaviour. He could have waited for them to leave together.

 

“He had always been strange. What’s so surprising about that?” Amber shrugged it off as they walked towards the backdoor of their class.

 

When they were about to exit, someone was about to enter the class. In that small narrow space, Sehun could not avoid Aleyah anymore. He had been carefully avoiding her throughout the day. It was not hard when he always sit at the back of the class while Aleyah sits at the front with her friends. It also was not hard when he does not visit the canteen like the other students. Never did he expect that he would bump into her right after his return to the toilet when class had ended. It was not that he did not want to acknowledge her but he was well-aware of his status. He was not rich like the rest of them and the students here did not like interacting with him so he instinctively avoided Aleyah, even when they had met a couple of times. The last thing he wanted was his classmates talking behind his back or calling him names.

 

“Hello.” Aleyah gave him a smile and a nod. She saw no harm in acknowledging his presence. She had promised him not to tell others about his club but that did not mean that she could not greet her classmate.

 

Shocked at her greetings, Sehun nodded his head at her and walked into the class to hear Amber asking, “You know him?”

 

“He is our classmate.”

 

“But I’ve never seen you talk to him before.”

 

“But he is still my friend.”

 

That 6 words warmed Sehun heart as the corner of his lips lifted up slightly and he walked back to his seat.

 

-

 

“Al, I can’t accompany you for lunch today. I thought Luhan would accompany you for lunch so I arranged to teach my friend to spin the disc…” Amber explained to the girl after they stepped out of the classroom.

 

“Ahh.. it’s okay. I can have lunch on my own.” Aleyah smiled kindly and waved to Amber. Till her backview could not be seen then she turned around to go the opposite way from the canteen. Without her best friends company, she was no longer hunry so she decided to go to the music room to begin her daily piano practice early. Little did she expect that right when turned her heels around, someone knocked right into her and the person’s pile of books fell all over the ground.

 

“I’m so sorry!” The person apologized profusely.

 

Aleyah lowered herself and began picking up the books. When she returned the books to the person, the duo looked at one another and said at the same time.

 

“It’s you.”

 

“Jongin?” Aleyah’s voice was silvery and clear, making Kai’s heart skipped a beat when he heard her calling his Korean name.

 

Unable to contain his happiness, he smiled widely. “You remember me.”

 

“The fountain guy.”

 

“I think I prefer my name.”

 

The couple chuckled as Kai helped Aleyah to stand. Aleyah passed him the books and said. “I didn’t know you study here.”

 

“It’s my final year so my classroom is on the other building. It’s normal if you haven’t seen me in school before.”

 

Nodding her head, Aleyah asked. “Why are you here today then?”

 

“Pass the books to the teacher.” Kai told her patiently. He looked at her carrying her backpack, an idea struck him. “Where are you going? I will walk you there.”

 

“It’s okay. I can go by myself.”

 

“Just wait for me here.” He threw her a sentence and sprinted to the end of the corridoor to put the books in the teacher’s pigeon hole. Within seconds, he was back in front of her again. “Let’s go.”

 

Kai walked her to the piano room, occasionally asking her questions that he had always been curious about. What she usually do after school, who does she hang out with and how was her day. The presence of her simply made him so happy, whenever he sees her or thinks about her, he smiles; and it was the kind of smile that he rarely wears. He did not understood how could a person bring him so much joy and loveliness into the world just by existing.

 

“Why don’t you practice at home?” Kai asked her gently as he leaned against the piano. He watched her lift up the piano cover and ran her long, slender finger over it. He had to admit, he was jealous of the school piano.

 

Aleyah pondered a while. She used to practice in school because Chanyeol always ended his council late. Over the years, it had became a natural thing for her to do. Even if Chanyeol was not by her side anymore. “It’s a habit.”

 

After she ended her sentence, her fingers began dancing on the black and white keys. The music room was soon filled with melodious music. Her body moved back and forth alongside with her jet black hair that cascaded down her back. She was beautiful and Kai was mesmerized. He did not even look away when she had ended her piece. He just kept looking at her.

 

“What time do you end today?” A bright smile formed on Kai’s face as he continued to stare at her. “Shall we have dinner together?”

 

“Huh?” Aleyah looked up at the boy, surprised by his question. However, before she could give any reply, Kai ruffled her hair gently and ran away with his voice echoing in the empty music room.

 

“I will wait for you.”


A filler chapter but there are some important clues inside this chapter. Anyone managed to pick up any? Those who had read it before probably can guess it.

Enjoy!