Crossed

Locker 303

 

Some of the best things in life appear when you least expect them, things you can never forget.

 

22nd August 2015

 

“Miss Lee, please say a few words.”

 

Aleyah took the mike from the Emcee and turned towards the crowd. “I will play any one song that the highest doner request.”

 

Right when she ended her words, a few hands shot up in the air.

 

“$50,000”

 

“$60,000”

 

“$80,000 please.”

 

As the donation amount remained stagnant, the emcee gave a brief introduction of the girl beside him in attempt to raise the amount. He went on highlighting about how she is one of the 4 treasures in the prestigious Victoria Family School and a famous pianist in the classical music industry. However, the person who just raised his hand didn’t need to know about all this.

 

“1 Million.”

 

The boy’s voice was loud and clear, earning everyone’s attention in the room. Even the emcee was stunned upon hearing such a high jump in the bid and what was more shocking is the 19 year old boy who stood in the middle of the hall.

 

“What would you like Miss Lee to play Sir?” The Emcee asked politely as low murmurrings filled the entire hall, gasping and exclaiming about his identity.

 

Without shifting his gaze away, Kai let out a satisfied smile for winning the bid. He couldn’t care less how people was calling him the illegitimate son of the Kim Family or pointing fingers at him because he was the result of Kim Seung Min’s affair, he just kept looking at Aleyah and replied, “Her favourite song.”

 

Although Aleyah was taken aback with the boy’s behaviour, she still fulfilled his request as per promised. She went to the white piano on the stage and let her fingers danced on the keys, hitting the notes to let out the most beautiful piece of music, leaving everyone in awe even after she had exited stage.

 

“It was amazing Aleyah!” Luhan who was watching from the backstage, helped her down from the steps and they made their way back to where the charity ball was. Within minutes, they were blended among the crowd who was wearing suits and gowns. Taking a cup of champagne from the passing waiter, Luhan handed it to Aleyah as he mumbled, “Thank you so much. My dad wouldn’t believe me when I told him that you agreed to play today.”

 

“No thanks, I can’t drink.” Aleyah refused kindly with a laugh, “And why wouldn’t I play at the charity ball my friend’s father had arranged?”

 

“That’s what I told my dad too!” Luhan exclaimed but before he could continue the conversation, a man came up and told Luhan that his father wanted him to meet someone.

 

“I’m sorry Al.” Luhan apologized before giving her a friendly hug. “There’s a fountain at my back garden. You can check it out if you are bored here. See you in school on Monday!”

 

Waving goodbye to Luhan, Aleyah stood alone in the crowded ballroom. It wasn’t an unusual sight for her because she had been to plenty of charity balls but it was just weird without Chanyeol. He used to accompany her to every single ball but ever since they broke up, Aleyah had stopped attending but she just couldn’t say no to the ball the Lu family arranged.

 

Quietly, she walked out of the ballroom, towards the fountain that Luhan had mentioned. The water fountain was located in the middle of the back garden, surrounded by pale green grass and beds of daisies. As Aleyah went nearer, she could feel the water hitting her skin slightly but she didn’t mind it at all, instead, she closed her eyes to enjoy the refreshing moisture and made a wish instinctively.

 

“No matter how many coins you toss into the fountain or how many fingers you cross, if its not meant to be, it won’t happen.”

 

Aleyah’s eyes shot open right away and turned around to see a boy with his hands in his suit’s pocket, standing a distance away from her. His dark brown orbs gazing at her intensely, just like the pair of eyes that stared at her when she was on stage.

 

“I.. How did you know what I was wishing for?” Aleyah was shocked, unsure how did the boy know that she was wishing for Chanyeol to come back to her.

 

“I have powers.” The boy pointed to his head with a lop-sided grin. “I can read people’s mind.”

 

“Hahahah.” Aleyah let out a hearty laugh at the boy’s joke. “I have too.”

 

“Oh you do?” Kai asked her, surprised as he took a seat on the wooden bench that was near him.

 

Nodding her head, she lifted her dress and took a seat beside him. “I know you are the highest bidder.”

 

“I am. Thanks for playing.”

 

“I should be the one thanking you instead. For letting me choose the song I want to play.”

 

“So that was your favourite song?” Kai turned around slightly to look at her and he let out the breath that he had forgotten how to breathe since she sat down next to him.

 

Aleyah nodded her head slowly. The song she played earlier was a song she had composed herself. It was a music piece she had composed for Chanyeol and her. That piece consisted of every memory they had shared, from the first time they met to their breakup. It was all that Aleyah was left with now.

 

“Stop looking for happiness in the same place you lost it.” Kai noticed that sadness that masked her beautiful eyes. He didn’t like that. Her eyes wasn’t suppose to be filled with so much sadness.

 

Surprised at how he could read her thoughts every single time, Aleyah stared at the boy beside her in amazement and Kai looked at her looking at him, like there was something in him worth looking at. And that moment, he could feel himself getting lost in her eyes. For once, he hoped he never find himself because being lost had never felt so right before.

 

“What makes you start learning piano then?” Kai asked her gently, changing the topic that he hoped could take away the sadness, even if it was just for that short moment.

 

“My parents wanted me to.” Aleyah replied, “And I had been learning since young so I just keep playing it.”

 

“Do you like playing piano then?”

 

“Of course I do.”

 

“But it’s arranged by your parents? How can it be something you like when you have no say in it?”  Kai asked her intently, “Do you even have something you truly like?”

 

Kai’s words stunned Aleyah once again. Suddenly she had flashbacks of the past on how she had been learning everything that her parents arranged. Whether it was etiquette classes, social dance classes or even piano classes, she had never rejected any of them. She simply attended them because her parents asked her too. Even her closet was determined by her parents. She didn’t mind it but she didn’t know why she felt so disturbed after the boy mentioned it.

 

Nonetheless, there was one thing she was quite sure wasn’t determined by them.

 

“Yes.” Aleyah replied confidently, “Falling in love with my first love.”

 

“Let me guess, he is your classmate?” 

 

“Nope. He is the son of my parent’s friend.” The moment she finished her words, she realized that she had just mentioned about her parents again. She couldn’t help but to wonder if meeting Chanyeol was also arranged by her parents.

 

“I think you should do something you really really like. Not what your parents like.” Noticing her expression, Kai changed the topic again.

 

“Piano. I really like piano even though its arranged by my parents.” Aleyeh let out a chuckle before continuing, “I can still remember how happy I was when my fingers first touch those black and white keys.”

 

“I hit it so gently, afraid that I would spoil it someway or another.”

 

Kai looked at Aleyah in amazement. He wasn’t sure why when she smiles, he smiles too. Maybe its because it is rare to meet someone with a mind that is just as beautiful as their face or maybe, she had entered his life at the most peculiar time for the most beautiful reason. All he knows is that, there aren’t a lot of good things around, and he knows that she is really good because among so many girls he had met, she had made the most perfect impressions, leaving him behind an everlasting impact even though it was only the second time he had seen her.

 

“Why are you smiling?” Aleyah asked when she saw him wearing that boyish grin as he looked at her even though the conversation was long over.

 

“I like you.” Kai admitted. “You know how to laugh.”

 

“You don’t know me.” Aleyah replied instinctively.

 

“I want to, though.”

 

“But you don’t even know my name!”

 

“I know. Aleyah Lee Jae Hee.”

 

“But.. I don’t even know your name!”

 

With a gentle smile, Kai replied. “Jongin.”

 

“You can call me Jongin.”


Well well, Kai finally met Aleyah and is falling head over heels for her. Some of you had read this story before so I guess you know where this is going. But this scene is new so yupp, enjoy!