Eunhyuk

We've Come A Long Way

Kyuhyun slumped on the sofa looking like he never wanted to get up from it, ever.

 

“I think I need a drink.”

 

Hyukjae opened the fridge door and took out a pitcher of water. Nothing felt better on a hot summer night than a tall glass of cool, refreshing water.

 

He laid down two glasses and filled them up. After replacing the pitcher in the fridge, he walked over to the zombie who hasn’t moved an inch since they came in.

 

“Here, drink up,” he said, handing him a glass.

 

With a groan, Kyuhyun straightened up, took it, and emptied it in one big gulp. “Thanks, hyung,” he said, handing the empty glass back. “But you do know that I’m talking about a different kind of drink, right?”

 

Hyukjae chuckled, helping his roommate bring the glasses to the sink. “Of course, you brat. Come on, get up. Let’s go out for drinks.”

 

“But hyuuuuung! Can’t we just stay in? Isn’t there an unopened bottle of Italian wine in the pantry that’s begging to be unstoppered?” the younger man whined, back in his initial position on the sofa.

 

“That’s my wine,” Hyukjae pointed out..

 

“Yes, and that’s why I want to drink it with you,” Kyuhyun rebutted..

 

Hyukjae smiled at the smart- answer. One really cannot win over this brat. But even though he’s tired, he really didn’t want to be home yet, not here at the dorm nor with his family. The stark absence of a warm and furry presence brushing against his legs as he washed the glasses was something he wanted to avoid.

 

The high from the show was still with him, making him restless. He needed to go somewhere, to the gym or by the riverside for a run. He needed to be completely knackered before going home. That way, he won’t have enough energy for anything else, even for passing thoughts about wagging tails, but sleep.

 

“We haven’t even had dinner yet,” Hyukjae reminded. “Come on, my treat. Food and drinks, even dessert if you want.”

 

That earned him a surprised yet encouraged look from his roommate. He admits that he’s pretty tight-fisted when it comes to money, so they don’t often hear the words “my treat” come out of his mouth. But he just really needs a distraction now, and if filling the bottomless pit that is Kyuhyun’s stomach does the trick, then heck yeah he’ll do it.

 

A wide smile on his face, Kyuhyun finally got off the sofa and headed for the bathroom saying, “Awesome! I’m kinda craving for ice cream as well. I’ll just be 5 minutes, hyung. Need to smell nice for our date~”

 

Hyukjae flicked water on him as he passed by. Still smiling at his roommates silliness, he went into his room to lay out a change of clothes. He needed to at least look tidy as well; they might run into fans.

 

He pulled out the drawer to reveal neatly rolled underwear and selected one. Then, he went over to his closet and poked around for something loose and comfortable. Once changed, he sat on his bed and waited for Kyuhyun.

 

A minute passed. Two minutes. He was getting antsy. He got up and went to check on his roommate.

 

“Yah, Cho Kyuhyun!” Hyukjae called out while knocking on the bathroom door. “I’ve finished the dishes and changed my clothes and you still aren’t done?”

 

“Hyung-giveme-f-five more minutes-ugh!” came Kyuhyun’s voice, sounding pinched. “A-an unexpected guest came out.”

 

Hyukjae gave a knock of understanding and went back to his room. What should he do now? Maybe he should clean.

 

Taking a clean rag from the supplies closet, he proceeded to wipe his closet, walls, bedside table, photo frames, desk-

 

Something flew and landed on the floor.

 

Some sort of paper. He picked it up to see if it was important, or else it goes in the trash. He hasn’t been able to declutter his desk the past couple of days because of rehearsals.

 

He saw the total first. ₩110,000. His eyes searched for the item bought. Pink faux fur booties, set of 4.

 

The sting came instantly. He crumpled the receipt and hastily threw it in the general direction of the trash can before clamping his hand over his mouth to catch the sob that followed. Sitting on the chair, he bent over and buried his head in his crossed arms on the table, doing his best to swallow the remaining sobs back down.

 

It’s been three months but he still can’t bear any reminder of her. People may think it’s ridiculous, that he could simply get a new one or adopt one, but that’s like asking a parent to it up and adopt a baby after losing a child.

 

She’s irreplaceable. Nor can his heart bear the thought of loving another one like her, knowing that one day, she will leave him again.

 

Sniffling, Hyukjae reached for his wallet in his back pocket and, from the secret compartment. slipped out a photo.

 

The photo of his baby.

 

Choco-yah, he mentally greeted her. It’s been a long day without you. Everyday seems to be longer without you. You’ve been with me ever since I started this crazy journey, and even though I know it’s foolish, I’ve always thought that you’d also be there until the end.

 

He caressed the furry little ears on the photo, swearing that he can almost feel the warmth of them.

If only you could’ve waited a couple more months… I would’ve brought you onstage and let you eat the giant cake. You’d like that, right?

 

We had so many more things to do. Didn’t we set that play date with Bugsy and the other pups? Who’s gonna be the noona who’ll scold them now?

 

I’m going away for a couple years, you know. I always imagined you running towards me with your little tail wagging and barking excitedly, welcoming me when I come back. But I guess I’d have to get used to it now… not having you around.

 

I miss you, Choco.

 

He was unaware of the rivulets running down his cheeks until a big, fat drop fell on the photo. It woke him up and brought him back to the present. Kyuhyun might be done doing Number 2. He can’t see him like this.

 

Inhaling deeply, he steadied himself.

 

“Hyukjae hyung!” he heard Kyuhyun call from the living room. “I’m done! Let’s go!”

 

“I’ll be right there!” he called back, slipping the photo back into the secret compartment of his wallet.

 

Sleep well my baby. You’ve had a hard time. Daddy’s gonna keep working hard. I’ll go to more places, and maybe, hopefully, I’d meet a human girl as sweet and warm as you. I’ll go to more adventures with you in my heart, Choco. Then I’ll tell you all about it when I see you again.

 

 

Hi! Here's a new chapter! I hope you liked it. :)

I'd just like to give all the subscribers, the commenters, and even the silent readers for giving my story a chance. Thank you thank you thank you so much! You're all lovely. <3 I hope I can talk to you all. :D

On to the next chapter!