From Where We Began

We've Come A Long Way

 

As they wrap up the last day of SS6 Encore, not one pair of eyes are dry. Supportive hugs and comforting pats on the back told each other the things that didn't need to be said: They've done it.

 

It's more than what they've ever dared to dream a decade ago, but it's real. More than 100 Super Shows done. 7 studio albums and another one on the way. Countless awards. Millions of people touched by their music.

 

10 years of Super Junior.

 

A celebratory dinner was set for that night, but standing in the dressing room, absentmindedly wiping sweat with faraway looks in their eyes, Leeteuk knew that the boys weren't up for partying. Discreetly, he pulled the managers outside and requested them to shift the venue from the posh private lounge they rented out to the neighborhood Chinese restaurant they always order food from ever since their trainee days.

 

He was met with a hesitant silence. Heechul came out of the room, on his way to the restroom, when he saw the hastily covered-up disappointment on their managers' faces. He went and stood beside Leeteuk and listened in.

 

"But the staff are really looking forward to this," one of them said. "Most of them were with you from the beginning. It's their accomplishment, too, and they deserve the lavish reward."

 

"I know, hyung, and I'm not trying to take anything away from them," Leeteuk reasoned. "But the kids... they're not up for it for sure. If we push it, they'll just be forcing it, and that could be a mood killer. I want the staff to enjoy as well. Can't we reschedule?"

 

When the managers exchanged unsure glances, Heechul chipped in, "How about this, hyung. You guys take the staff and have a great time at the lounge. Reservation’s under your name anyway, right? But I agree with Jungsoo. I personally am not up for loud music and a lot of people. I also really hate buzzkills, so I don't wanna be one. And the kids... their bodies are in there, but their minds are somewhere else. Let them spend some time w/ their family, friends, alone, or whatever tonight. We'll arrange another gathering soon. Siwon will take care of it!"

 

Leeteuk threw him a startled look that says, “What are you talking about?!”

 

Heechul gave him a miniscule head shake to say, “Don’t worry, he’ll agree to it anyway.”

 

“So… what do you say?” Leeteuk asked tentatively.

 

“Well… the staff would want you to celebrate with them,” the manager replied, “But I understand how you guys must be feeling. Alright, I’ll take care of them, and you take care of the boys.”

 

“Asa! Thank you, hyung!” Heechul cheered. “Come on, Jungsoo, let’s get the kids and go home.”

 

~ ~ ~


 

They were a bit surprised to hear that the afterparty was cancelled, but all of them were secretly relieved. Not only were they physically beat, but it takes mental preparation to sustain a social attitude, and there are just too many emotions to sort through right now, and a club lounge is the last place they wanna do that.

 

WIth the last “Good job, guys!” and “See you soon!”, the Super Junior and M members got on their vehicles - Siwon to his own car, Henry going with his friends, Kangin hitching a ride with Teuk, Zhou Mi and Heechul hitching a ride with the people going back to the dorms.


What usually would be a chit-chatty ride was spent looking out the windows in silence, each one of them deep in their own thoughts. As the vans dropped off the dorm-dwellers, they waved goodbye to the ones being dropped off elsewhere, wishing that they could all be in one place again and just reminisce, yet yearning for some alone time as well to sort out the rollercoaster of emotions brought on by hitting the decade mark.

 

_________

 

Sorry it took a little bit longer than I planned, but here's the first chapter! Enjoy!^^

Thanks so much to all those who commented. I hope this is up to your expectations. :)