FOUR

Cruor

Chapter Four
Eun

 

All I can do is blink now. I can’t even take in air at the moment; neither can I move a muscle. I sense the impassiveness spreading throughout my bones as his words sink into my mind like ink on paper. I hate the sly smile on the old geezer’s face, knowing that he’s trapped me, spotted my weakness.
“My mom?” All too suddenly, I find my fingers gripped securely around the neckline of his shirt and his back flat up against the brick exterior of the building.

      The only response from Dr. Park is a low, growly cough that only an old shark like himself could conjure up. I roll my eyes, not feeling the slightest hint of sympathy towards him, in fact, I feel jubilant in the company of his discomfort. 

      I smirk as his body collapses to the grunge besieged floor of the alleyway in a stack of perspiration and breathiness.
“Where is she?” I demand, gazing down the backstreet instead of looking down at the pitiable man.
“Do you think I would tell you, Eun?” Dr. Park questions with that brash grin stretching across his aged face.
“Why would I give away such valuable information that you want for free?” he questions me.

      Immediately, my eyes shoot down at the mocking smile on his face that seems like sopping poison in my eyes. I purse my lips, feeling the corroded tang of blood inside my mouth.
“If you want the information sweetie, then all you have to do is what I tell you to.” Dr. Park’s voice lightens into a soothing yet completely malicious attitude.
“Don’t “sweetie” me, gramps.” I grimace in a manner that even without looking at me you could tell I had razor sharp choppers.

      “Honestly dear, it’s not that difficult to do. Just travel with the boy and then the answer will be given to you.” The scientist brushes the sleeves of his jacket casually before showing that guiltless smile in my face. I sneer at the elderly professor. Who does he think he is to call me ‘dear’?
“I’m not going to help you ruin more lives, Dr. Park.” I huff out.

      I try my best to not flinch at my own words. No matter how much I want to repudiate it, I sense the blooming vigor in the depths of my stomach telling me to follow through with the plan.

      “Don’t you miss her though?” Dr. Park asks, displaying his sad cow eyes. I feel the guilt scorching the edges of my heart when his words float in the air. Of course I miss her. I miss her and dad. How could I not?
“I know my mom. She’d want me to do what’s better for the world than follow your plans.” I exclaim.

      “Is that so?” He raises his gray eyebrows as another crooked grin slithers onto his face.
“How about the little one?” Unexpectedly, my body goes rigid as if a thick sheet of hoarfrost has frozen all my innards down to the hard bone. I bite my lips; it’s all I can do to not turn into Niagara Falls.

      The thought of whatever this man has done to his only grandson propels nightmares to play in front of my eyes like a never-ending torrent of videos. I slam my eyes to a close, but the disturbing images keep on playing in the blackness.

      Those big blue eyes gazing up at me as tears of fear begin to fall down the already tear stained cheeks. The small, full rosebud lips desperately mouth words that can’t be heard by anyone.

      My lips clamp down like a bear trap, struggling against the compulsion to shed a bounty of tears. Those beautiful blue irises are taken over by the silver. The palms of my hands slap against my ears as the haunting voice echoes all around me.
Eun! Help me! Eun! Please! Eun!
I feel the solitary tear stream down the side of my cheek. Hesitantly, my lips unclamp as an awful weeping noise finds a way out from my throat.

      I squeeze my eyes tighter as if it’ll make the image go away, but the picture just gets worse. The once small, adorable teeth that were concealed behind the full rosebud lips have transformed into monstrous fangs, not different from my own.
Eun!
I can taste the tarnished flavor of blood conquering the inside of my mouth as my head shakes back and forth in a headache inducing motion.
Eun!

“Jong Min!”

      My eyes flicker open. I find the palms of my hand pressed against the concrete ground and my legs have buckled beneath me. I feel the familiar arms draping over me like a shield of warmth from the cruel world.
“Eun, it’ll be alright.” Sehun’s voice enters my mind, immediately forcing all the horrible imaginings back into the shadows.

      I peek through the small opening between Sehun’s arms for any sign of the scientist and relief overtakes me when all I see is an empty alley on both sides.
“Trust me, Eun.” Sehun’s calloused fingers reach for my face. I slowly nod my chin as he dabs away the tears from my eyes.
“Now stand up and get a hold of yourself.” Sehun chuckles as he pulls me back onto my feet. Staunchly, I put a smile onto my face, but even I know that my true emotions burn through it.

      I watch from behind as Sehun strolls to the entrance of the backstreet in his sluggish and dawdling gait. Just as I’m about to follow behind, something catches my attention on the ground. I pick up the ripped off piece of notebook paper from the dirt covered floors. My fingers grasp tightly onto the edge of the note, knowing exactly who left this behind.

Five days. Midnight.

 


 

Sehun has appeared!
Anyway, please share your opinions with me in the comments below!
Until next time!