ELEVEN

Cruor

Chapter Eleven
Baekhyun

 

The late afternoon sunset is like the flash of lightning hammering the earth before me, blinding and painful to even look at. If it’s this bad during sunset then I’m positive beyond doubt that I would hate to be here when the sun is fully awake and in the sky. Although the daylight burns my eyes, I can’t help but feel comforted and revel in the fresh, warm gale of early spring air.

      My eyes narrow as I try to shield them from the sunlight with my hand, that’s when I see her, the Cruor. As if she knew I was looking, she turns around at the exact same moment, locking her silver eyes with my brown ones. I can’t help the first thought that had popped into my head when I first saw her make another appearance. Are all Cruor as beautiful as her?

      First, there’s her honeyed complexion that appears as if it’s porcelain. Then, her thin rosebud lips that seem delicate and innocent even though the words that come out from them are the exact opposite. Next, there are her wavy, ink black tresses that roll behind her shoulders and halfway down her back. After the hair are her attention-grabbing silver eyes. They’re not just any shade of silver though, but the most unique that it seems like every color in the universe is blended within it.

      “You’re five minutes late human.” Her voice echoes in my head. I’m not sure if I’m hearing things or if she actually said it. She rolls her eyes dramatically when in response all I do is stare onward.
“I told you to wait for me Baekhyun.” At the sound of another voice I snap out of my trance and glance over my shoulder at Hyorin.

      “A tagalong?” The Cruor’s voice remains calm, but I can tell that she’s ticked a little by this.
“I’m not going anywhere without Hyorin by my side, plus, she won’t take no for an answer. So, it’s either you lead both of us or neither.” I exclaim to the Cruor girl. She lets out an overstated huff of exasperation.
“You drive a tough bargain human!” she scowls at me as her fingers immediately clench into fists. She crosses her arms tightly over her chest and glares straight at Hyorin’s profile as if studying every detail about her.

      “Fine.” The Cruor finally says after a while of contemplation. She may have agreed to bring Hyorin along but something about her tells me there’s a specific reason behind it.
“But you’re in charge of her safety.” The cold glance that she gives to the two of us is enough to bring another freezing winter upon Seoul.
“Huh?”
“I only agreed to lead you safely to your brother. If she loses her life on this trip then it’s on you. Plus, since I can’t eat you, she’d make a great standby snack.” I wonder how she can just come up with those witty and annoying comments out of the blue.

      “So are you going to tell us who kidnapped my brother? Or was it really the Cruor?” I demand before we can even take another step away from The Compound. Studiously, she narrows her silver eyes on me as if I was some new specimen for scientist to do research on. When nothing comes out from I feel as if this is some big joke.
“Come on Cruor! I don’t have the patience to have you fooling around!” I shout at her.

      “Well then, this is going to be harder for you than for me human. I’m used to everyone stretching their tolerance for me to any extent and I advise that you do the same or you may never be able to reach your little brother before anything happens to him.” Her words are like a newly sharped knife being driven straight into my heart. How can she speak so carelessly and freely about this topic!?

      “If you think my attitude is bad right now then you’re in for a truckload of trouble.” She flashes an endearing smile, revealing her two thin and sharp incisors before me.
“Just know that you have to follow my every word for this to work out. If not, then I can’t promise things will be fine.”

      “Anyways, to answer your question, your brother was taken to a lab by someone that I despise more than anyone else in this degraded universe.” She answers out of nowhere. By the distant and loathing look in her silver eyes I instantly know that she’s being honest right now.
“You mean where the scientists live?” Hyorin blurts out with a muddled look on her face.

      “How’d you know that?” The Cruor snaps back at the two of us with lightning speed.
“My mom told us.” Hyorin mumbles out softly.
“That means you could get the medications for your mom Baekhyun. This is definitely good luck.” Hyorin grins up at me as she embraces my arm like a teddy bear. Slowly, the Cruor turns her back to us and begins to walk.
“But why would they kidnap Hyuk?” I ask, completely ignoring Hyorin’s happy mood and turning my attention to the Cruor girl.

      She glances over her shoulders, not even fully looking back at me or Hyorin. Suddenly, I notice that she’s staring down at her shoulder where a scar runs. My eyes saunter up to her face and it seems as if she’s reliving a nightmare inside her mind. When her silver eyes tear away from the scar and look straight into mine, I can see the pain and horror.

“Why do you think they did?”


LOL what the hell was that?
What was sixth grade me even thinking writing that last part? It was so overdramatic, even I cringed, but I'm too lazy to rewrite this whole thing so whatever.