NINE

Cruor

Chapter Nine
Baekhyun

 

The physical pain of a bullet is less excruciating than losing the one and only blood relative that can actually remember you. How did I become so unlucky in a matter of four months?
“How long has it been?” I ask, but my face still hides in the palms of my hands. I can hear Hyorin shuffling in her chair as she looks at her watch.

      “It’s been 13 hours since Hyuk’s been missing.” Hyorin answers and the repentance in her voice is evident.
“You shouldn’t blame yourself Hyorin. You were gone for only a minute.” I sigh out even though blaming the nurse’s daughter would make me feel much better.

      “Here’s a blanket for you.” Nurse Lee’s faint hint of a smile doesn’t even bring me warmth and neither does the blanket.
“It’s the middle of the day. There are things to be done. I’ll sleep when night comes.” I wave her offer away and quickly jump to my feet.

      “You have to sleep; it’ll help with what’s happened.” Nurse Lee replies as she grabs onto my wrist. I glance back at her, seeing the worry and distress in her eyes. I feel as if I’m a burden upon her.
“I can’t just sleep. I probably won’t be able to.” I respond in a tone that counters my own argument.
“I have to find Hyuk.” I reach for the door knob when Hyorin urgently grasps for my hand.

      “Do you think you’ll be able to survive on the surface before the Cruor get to you Baekhyun? No. I’m sorry for your loss, but going out there wouldn’t do anybody any service.” I exhale a loud sigh, knowing pretty well that Hyorin’s words are true. Dying out there wouldn’t help anybody at all, but I can’t just sit here and try to move on with my wretched life. It’s impossible to do so.

      “Then what do you want me to do!?” I demand and by the surprised expressions thrown across their faces, I know I look like a madman in front of their eyes.
“You can’t do anything.” Nurse Lee whispers. I clench my fingers into fists. How could she even say that out loud? I can’t do anything? You can always do something!

      Knock! Silence takes over the atmosphere as suddenly as a hurricane appears. As I grind my teeth I wrench open the door.
“Baekhyun!” I can’t help but keep on glaring wherever I look.
“What do you need?” I ask with the impatience of a two year old who wants their bottle.
“There’s someone here that knows what happened to your brother.” The male’s words rush out in a blur, but I can clearly understand it all.

      Just like that the slightest stream of hope has made an appearance in my soul.
“Really? Who?” The smile on my face stretches wide as the hopefulness spreads throughout my body. The uncertain expression on the stranger’s face forces the smile to liquefy away like sugar in water though.
“Who is it?” I implore for an answer from him. The longer he hesitates to respond just makes me uneasy four times as much as before.

      “It’s a Cruor girl.”