THIRTEEN

Cruor

Chapter Thirteen

Baekhyun

We sit awkwardly beside each other as an uncomfortable stillness hangs heavily in the atmosphere. Only the soft crunching of firewood giving way to the flames is heard through the silence. Slightly, I turn my face to get a glimpse of her impassive expression. Honestly, I feel a bit sorry that I made her feel uncomfortable by asking that one question. It doesn’t matter if she’s a carnivorous, blood drinking creature, because the guilt I feel is the same.

      “Since I got to ask you five questions, you can ask five too. I don’t want to be traveling with you when you’re feeling angry at me. That’s just a little dangerous, don’t ya think?” The words flow out of my mouth as if speaking to a Cruor wasn’t any trouble at all when it’s exactly the opposite having to worry whether your words were going to kill you or not.

      “What makes you think that I’d want to know anything about you?” Even her words have no emotion in them now.
“Why wouldn’t you? Lots of girls want to get to know me. You’re the first that doesn’t Eun.” I flash a smile in her direction even though she doesn’t even look my way. Why am I even trying to talk to her anyway? Am I really that bored?  All I need from her is to lead me to my brother.

      I perk up like a puppy receiving a treat when I hear her sadistic laughter at me. A sadistic laugh is as close to a laugh for her I guess.
“Come on, the silence is killing me Eun.” I nudge her softly in the side. Immediately, I jump back to my spot afraid that she might assault me at this very moment for doing so, but when she just sits there, a wave of relief floods me.

      “Fine. If it’ll get you to shut up.” She grunts, suddenly, turning her entire body to face me once more.
“How old are you Baekhyun?”
“How old am I? A year older than you. So… eighteen.” I answer. 
“So wouldn’t that give me more authority than you Eun?” I tap my chin, knowing very well that my words would bother her.

      “Oh shut up.” She rolls her eyes and sneers at me like a pit bull.
“Go on.” I gesture for her to continue.
“Where are you from?” I look at her weird. Does she really have no creativity in that pretty little head of hers?
“It seems you’re just gonna ask the same questions I did.” I reply.
“Oh really? Then how am I supposed to ask you how you’re not tempted to eat me?” she snaps back at me. Her mind reflexes are probably much faster than her physical ones by the way she talks back without any hesitation.

      “Well, for one, I don’t have an appetite for living things, and two, you probably taste sour because of your attitude missy.”  The expression of disbelief enters her face as my statement sinks into her mind. Did I seriously just call her “missy”? She’ll probably kill me later on in my sleep. I swear.

      “Bucheon.” I sigh out loud, hoping she’d forget what I just said.
“Huh?”
“That’s where I’m from.” I explain as I lean closer to the fire for some warmth. She nods her head.
“Have you ever been there before? It’s much better than Busan. I swear.” I ask Eun.
“I’ve been there once and almost got ran over, so you might want to rethink what you just said.” Eun responds.
“You probably weren’t paying attention. You can’t blame the driver.” I mumble.

      “Are you scared of me Baekhyun?” Simultaneously, we both turn our heads so that are noses are only a foot apart. Is she that cocky?
“What if I am?” I shoot back at her, knowing that I, myself, hate having people answer a question with a question.
“I’m your prey and yet I trust you to guide me to my brother, shouldn’t I be?” I gaze straight onward into her silver eyes that glisten under the moonlight. My eyes race to her thin lips where she nibbles on her bottom lip.

      Awkwardly, Eun turns her face back to the fire and clamps her lips together.

      “Where are your parents?” I’m positive Eun knows for almost anyone in this horrible period of time, talking about their parents is something you should delicately dance around, but curiosity has probably gotten to her.

“I don’t know where my dad is and my mom…” I stop not sure if I should tell the Cruor this or not.

“She’s back at The Compound.” I finish my sentence, but I nearly choke the words out.

      “You hesitated there, is there something wrong with your mom?” Eun asks and for the first time since I met her, I feel like she’s actually being sincere towards me.
“You already asked your five questions Eun.” I tell her.

“Age, home, scared, parents… I only asked you four so far Baekhyun. Don’t try to cheat me here. You asked me five questions and I should ask you the same amount.” She doesn’t even let my eyes stray away from her own. Is she usually this precise?

      “You did ask me five questions. Don’t forget about the question about eating you.” I exclaim. A faint smile appears and disappears as fast it came from her face.
“Don’t try pulling one over me Baekhyun. You answered that one on your own will, I never used it as an actual question, you just thought of it that way.” Eun points out. The determination in her eyes tells me that I should just go along with it.

      “Fine. One more question.” I nod my head for her to carry on. This time around she’s actually taking time to think of a good one to ask. Maybe we will get along on this journey. Looking at the two of us now, I think we’ve gotten a long way in six hours. We’re actually, sort of, socializing at the moment.

      “Are you ready?” she asks with a mischievous grin dancing on her face. She clasps her hands together in her lap and glimpses up at the starry canvas that blankets the skies above.
“Do you think I’m pretty?”

      The question takes me completely off guard. Did she just ask if I thought she was pretty? Isn’t that a bit too intimate between two people who’ve just met not even a day ago?
“What kind of question is that!?” I blurt out. I bite my lips together as I look at the ground in the opposite direction of Eun. Am I stupid? She’ll definitely kill me now.

      “It’s a question and you asked me to ask you a question.” Eun shrugs her shoulders as she slowly turns her gaze on me. By the tone of her voice no one can tell what's going on in that head of hers.
“Um… Do you possibly, like me?” the moment I let it out I instantly regret it just by looking at her face reaction.
“Don’t kid yourself kid.” She sneers at me.
“Kid? I’m a whole year older than you!” I remind her.

      She shrugs her shoulders carelessly as she tosses a random stick into the fire.
“All I’m asking is for you to answer the question Baekhyun, why are you jumping to such conclusions?” Eun only glances once in my direction before turning her eyes back to the bonfire.
“Well…” I scratch the back of my head as the blood rushes to my cheeks.
"The question is for your own good anyway." Eun adds.

      "What are you talking about?" I position my head so that I can see her face clearly in the firelight.
"The least I can do for you is be ugly." Eun's words make absolutely zero sense to me or to anyone for that matter.
"You'll see."
"You're making no sense. The least you can do is explain your words." I snap at her.
"You've asked over five questions and because I don't care I won't add them to my own." Eun responds as she crawls back to her spot.

      "If you don't trust me to watch the camp while you sleep then you watch it. Even Cruor have to sleep." This girl. She’s something else isn’t she?

 


It's been a long while.
I didn't stick to my weekly update thingy either. Oops.
I apologize.

LOL. I highly enjoy Baekhyun's constant fear of being killed in this chapter. HAHA.