제5장

그녀는 괴물이야 (She’s a Monster!)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you sure we ought to be doing this?” Seungwan’s voice was dropped to a whisper as she clutched at Seulgi’s arm tightly.

 

“Yah, why are you even whispering? Loosen up. We’re not murdering anybody,” Seulgi replied boldly as she dragged her friend along with her into the empty classroom. Everybody was still out for lunch.

 

“But, Sseul--”

 

“This is going to be epic,” the girl’s eyes twinkled playfully as she snuck towards Joohyun’s desk. A textbook for the next lesson was already sitting neatly on the table, naturally.

 

Digging into her pocket, Seulgi pulled out a realistic-looking brown lizard made of rubber. Then she leafed through the textbook with eager fingers, stopping somewhere in the middle. There she planted her nasty trick, slammed the book shut, and swept her hands contentedly.

 

“We’re going to get into trouble,” Seungwan warned.

 

“I’m going to get into trouble. This has absolutely nothing to do with you. Okay?” Seulgi squeezed her friend’s shoulder in an assuring manner.

 

Seungwan remained apprehensive for a few seconds before reaching for the textbook, “I have a better idea. We could just take the lizard away now and pretend that all of this never happened.”

 

“Yah!” Seulgi gave the girl’s hand a light smack, “Can’t you see? I’ve been waiting for this day for ages. This is the perfect opportunity.”

 

“For loading up detention hours.”

 

“Oh, give it a rest already,” Seulgi folded her arms without a care. “Mr. Park’s a pushover anyway. Besides, I’d serve a hundred hours to get a good scare out of that monster.”

 

“Are you sure it’s worth it?”

 

“Hell yes.”

 

Seeing that she was probably not going to be able to convince her friend otherwise, Seungwan only let out a sigh. Sometimes she really wondered why Seulgi would go to such lengths to incur Bae Joohyun’s wrath. She knew that if she hated someone, she would want to stay as far away from that person as possible and not have anything to do with them.

 

“Two minutes left. Let’s scoot the hell out of here before somebody sees us,” Seulgi grabbed her friend’s arm and the both of them scrambled out of the vicinity.

 

Lunchtime soon ended and groups of students gradually filed into the classroom, joyful laughter and boisterous conversation filling the stale air. Seulgi and Seungwan strode back to their seats, looking excited and nervous respectively.

 

Seulgi’s eyes travelled towards her soon-to-be victim, lips pulling into a sly smile at the thought of what was to come. Joohyun was laughing with her friends, completely clueless about the vicious little reptile tucked away in her book.

 

“I feel dreadful, Sseul,” Seungwan mumbled as she eyed her crush guiltily.

 

“Come on, it’s just a tiny freaking lizard. Don’t be such a wimp. Ah! Here comes Mr. Park,” Seulgi grinned even wider as their Literature teacher stepped into class.

 

“Alright. Settle down, folks. There’ll be a short quiz next week so I strongly advise that you pay close attention to the content we’ll be going through today,” the middle-aged man with tanned skin spoke as his pupils quieted down. “Now, please take out your textbooks and turn to page forty.”

 

Seulgi kept her eyes glued on Joohyun in full anticipation.

 

After flipping through a few pages of her book, the girl appeared to jolt in her seat. The short series of events that followed happened very quickly.

 

First, there was a high-pitched scream so piercing that it threatened to shatter all the glass surfaces in the classroom, as well as the eardrums of all the unfortunate people seated within a two-meter radius. Mr. Park even dropped everything he was holding just so he could shield his ears from the sudden outcry.

 

Next, in a desperate attempt to get rid of the lizard, Bae Joohyun shook the book so hard that it flew right out of her hand, zipping past the top of Mr. Park’s head, and crashing into the clock hanging on the wall.

 

As all this was happening, Seulgi was busy throwing her head back in booming, triumphant laughter. In view of the comedic scene, it had a contagious effect, and most of the class joined in shortly as the room resounded with hearty laughter. Everybody seemed to be at least lightly amused, except the sufferer of the prank.

 

“Hey!” Mr. Park held up a hand. “That’s quite enough! I will not tolerate this in my classroom!”

 

The ruckus died down before long and Joohyun cleared before speaking up, “I’m sorry, sir. Somebody hid this in my book and I got caught off guard.” She held up the brown creature by its tail so the teacher could take a closer look.

 

Folding his arms, Mr. Park questioned, “Who did this?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter