Dread

Still

I watched as a small beetle ran over my fingers, it's shell gleaming in the blistering heat of the  sun. I was lying on the grass, my head leaning on my arm as I lay in the cool shade of nearby tree. It was 3'o'clock, I had been at school for the first 4 periods but after lunch I couldn't handle it anymore and decided to skip the rest of the day. I needed a break, it was hard to get alone time these days. School was too slow, I picked up things fast and and got bored quickly when things weren't challenging enough, but on the other hand I dreaded going home everyday, things hadn't been going good at home..not for a long time.  The bell rang in the distance to signal the end of school. A leaf fell from the tree and I watched as it floated down and landed lighty on my shoe. The students started pouring out from the school gates eager to get home.  I sighed and closed my eyes thinking of the ever long excuses I had to avoid going home for just a while longer. I heard soft footsteps on the grass approaching, I opened my eyes and looked up to saw a tall skinny figure blocking my view.

''Yah Mia, how many times you gonna carry on skipping class!?''

It was Bobby, we both lived in the same neighborhood so he would usually wait for me after class so we could walk home together, he held out his hand which I took to pull myself up off the grass. Brushing myself off I stood up and looked at him smirking slightly.

''Don't worry I know everything the teacher was gonna say before it even left his lips.''

Bobby patted my head patronisingly laughing at your response. I rolled my eyes and pushed his hand away. Me being shorter than average and Bobby being tall enough as it was, there was a big height difference between us two and he loved to remind me of it.

''Get off me'' I protested

But he just put his arm around me and starting rubbing my head instead

''ARGHHH what are you doing!!'' I screamed whilst elbowing him in the ribs

''OOWWW' He cried as he doubled over clutching his ribs. ''Why you always so violent for! I was just tryna rub that big brain of yours for good luck.''

I poked his sore ribs mockingly.

''Come on you cry baby.'' I laughed as I started walking off ahead. ''Hurry up!'' I shouted as I looked back at him still and preteding to be in pain. He gave up the act and jogged to catch up to my side and put his arm loosely around my shoulder. He matched the pace of my short legs, I realised he was mocking me again and went to punch him in the side which he manage to dodge successfully this time. I laughed to myself, Bobby was the one thing in my life at the moment that kept me sane. We got on like a house on fire, he was like a big brother to me, we had known eachother since we were kids and had stayed close freinds ever since. Bobby had been incredibly busy these days due to his training with YG and I hadn't been able to see him as often, but none the less it made me happy to see him training for something he had a real passion about. He was often tired from the long hours but somehow still managed to have energy to play around when ever you two got together. 

''Yo im hungry!'' Bobby whined ''It's so hot today even my eyebrows are sweating!''

''Come on then, let's grab an ice cream, extra scoops with a heavy layer of choc sauce and those fat sprinkles!! and am not sharing, you'll have to get your own'' I replied whilst grinning, mouth already watering at the thought.

''Wow, this selfish girl can't even share an ice cream with me. Come on then you hobbit, my treat! If you can't finish it I'm pouring what's left over on you head.'' he warned me. He always managed to put me back in a good mood whenever I was feeling down. It was almost like some special talent he had to make the people around him smiled. I envied that, I wished it was that easy for my to put a smile on my face.

We walked slowly back home, enjoying the cool ice creams in the warm sun. It had been nice for a few minutes, forgetting gmy worries, but the dread started to sink back as you walked towards your street, the pit in your stomach started to form again. Bobby was still talking and joking with you but you were hardly replying now. You let out a long sigh and continued to munch on your ice cream. Bobby started to realise that you had gone quiet.

''What's up??'' Bobby asked curiously ''Why does your face always go so pale whenever we start to get close to home?''

''What?? what are you talking about this time..? whos face goes pale!!?'' I argued back, trying to keep it light hearted. But he knew something was up, and I knew he knew. I just weren't up to talking about this to anyone, I had always learned to deal with things myself and struggled to let others in. Although I talked about a lot of things with Bobby more than anyone, there were still secrets I kept from him, things that I couldn't share.

''Seriously though, you know if you ever need to talk I'm always here for you'' Bobby said with tone of conern in this voice.

''Don't worry, it's nothing I can't deal with'' I answered, forcing a smile that struggled to reach my eyes. ''Hey look! my ice cream was twice as big as yours and I still managed to finish first!'' I mocked, desperately trying to change the subject. He took the hint and didn't question anymore.

We slowly walked up the steep hill approaching Bobby's house, he rubbed my head once more before walking towards his front door. I laughed at his annoyingness and waved bye. Once he had gone inside, I turned around and carried on walking up the hill towards my own house at the top of the hill. Small balls of sweat started to form on my forehead, whether it was because of the heat, or the fear of what you had to face once you got home I didn't even know myself. I reached my house and stopped once I got to the door, just staring at it for a while, taking in the detail of the door, taking in the small scratches of the worn down old wooden door, delay time. I took a deep breathe ''Just need to get throuogh another day'' I said, failing to reassure myself. I pushed the key into the lock and turned it listening the the small clicks of the door unlocking, I turned the handle and walked in...