Dandelions(sehsoo/kryber)

Snippets and Shreds

I rewrote this so many times I have no idea how many mistakes are in it and if it's even readable...


Mandy never understood her neighbors. She had met them once, when they moved in. To say it was awkward would be an understatement. They were a family of three. Amber, Krystal and Maggie. Amber and Krystal were both twenty-five and had graduated from college already. Maggie was fifteen. She was supposedly their daughter. It confused Mandy to be completely honest. She didn't understand how Maggie allowed herself to call two women just ten years older her parents. To make it even more confusing, they all had different last names. Amber Liu, Krystal Jung, and Maggie Yu. Since she didn't understand it, Mandy tended to ignore them as much as possible. That worked fine during the school year, because while Mandy and Maggie went to the same school and were in the same grade, they had no classes together, but now it was summer and summer always runs on different rules. I guess it started on the third day of break when Mandy was forced to mow the lawn. 
Her brother, Blaze claimed he had a cold and couldn't do it. She knew that was a load of bull, but Mandy was not in the mood to argue with her lazyass brother, so she just nodded numbly as her parents told her she had to mow the lawn. 
She was grumbling to herself, blasting Girl's Day through her earphones and shoving the lawn mower through the grass when a figure suddenly just stepped in front of her. Annoyed, Mandy stopped the lawn mower and pulled out one earphone before looking up at the intruder.
"Yes?" She asked rudely.
"Oh, I just said don't run over the dandelions."
"What? Why?"
"Because they're pretty."
"They're weeds."
"Maybe, but they are really beautiful."
Mandy glared at this girl. Who did she think she was? She could kill the dandelions all day long if she wanted to-it was her house not this 's. 
"Whatever. Move." And she turned the lawnmower back on, startling the girl. Realizing she was ignoring her, the girl glared at Mandy and hopped out of the way before disappearing. 
Funny. Thought Mandy. She looked really familiar.  
Only later that night did she realize it was her neighbor, Maggie.

Mandy's next encounter with her neighbor happened a few days later.
 At the end of their block, there was a school, and behind the school was a little stream. It was one of Mandy's favorite places to go, and it had been forever. She would always go there, wether it was sizzling hot or freezing cold, so she could let go. Sometimes just a walk in the woods around the stream helped. Sometimes a dip in the semi-deep water helped. Today she was sitting on a log that lay over the water, her feet dangling in. She was just basking in the sun forgetting all feelings other then happiness and contentedness. This is what the stream did to her and she loved it. It was like a drug to her. She closed her eyes.
"Mandy!" Her eyes shot open, and she turned towards the intruder's voice. A girl was standing across the bank beckoning towards her. The girl was dressed in a pretty white sun dress, but was wearing a black face mask and carrying a black duffle bag. "Come here!" She called to Mandy once again. Mandy grumbled as she picked up her shoes and threw them over the stream before hopping in and swimming across. She got out of the stream, her shirt nearly see through and her shorts soaked and dripping but she really didn't care. It was summer. 
When she neared the girl, she realized it was Maggie. She was slightly annoyed that Maggie had interrupted her time of serenity, but was really curious as to what the girl wanted.
Maggie handed her another black face mask, then took off her shoes and waded into the stream.
"Come with me." She said. So Mandy put the face mask on, picked up her shoes and followed her neighbor.
After they had waded around many bends in the stream, and we're nearing the edge of what was familiar to Mandy, she finally asked Maggie where they were going.
"It's not far." Maggie smiled."We're almost there." 
How could they be almost there?Mandy thought. The only thing near us is the bridge. Why would we go to the bridge? No we can't be going to the bridge. 
"Here we are." When they got to the bridge, Maggie stepped up into a sandbar and set her duffle bag down. 
"What are we doing here?" Maggie just wiggled her eyebrows before bending down and ping her bag. 
"Be my spotter?" 
She pulled out a can of spray paint.
"Wha..." 
"I'm a graffiti artist."
Mandy had no words for that and decided just to comply with the girl. She did NOT wish to be sprayed with paint. 
At first, Mandy watched for people, she really did! But as Maggie really got into her art, Mandy couldn't help but look over and watch her turn a boring cement wall into a beautiful piece of art. She caught herself staring for minutes at a time, neglecting her 'spotter' duty and eventually she just gave up, and turned to completely watch Maggie paint. Maggie was painting a beautiful woman. Her eyes were open and they stared at you with such a deep longing and want and need. There were so many emotions in these greyscale eyes. Maggie was working on the lips now, and Mandy didn't want to admit it, but the massive lips presented in front of her looked very kissable. She couldn't believe how talented Maggie was, and how fast she worked. They had barely been there an hour and she was already working on the hair. It was thick and unruly, and it framed the face beautifully. 
"Why no color?" Mandy broke the silence.
"Because the color will be the tears." 
Mandy didn't even remotely have an idea as to what Maggie was talking about, but she concluded that if she just waited, and explanation would come.
And there it was.
Having finished the hair, Maggie finally pulled out the cans of paint in al the different colors of the rainbow. Then carefully and delicately she sprayed the paint right around and under the eyes, forming drippy, rainbow colored tears. A gasp caught in Mandy's throat after the first layer was added. And then Maggie just kept adding more and more and more layers until the girl was crying rainbow paint tears. She stood back, and looked at her work seeming content.
"Just one more thing." 
"What more could you possibly add to make it any better?!"
"Why, my signature of course."
"Oh. Duh."
Maggie giggled as she put away all of her paint cans but one. With a sky blue spray paint, she signed her tag on the bottom left corner: Gg
"Hey! You girls!"
The girl's heads whipped around and they saw a cop running towards them on the sidewalk. 
"Mandy! Run!" 
Mandy didn't need to be told twice and she took off in the opposite direction as the obese cop was coming from. The two girls sprinted, hair flying, and feet slapping the pavement until they were all the way back at Maggie's house. 
Panting, Mandy squatted over, her hands resting on her knees.
"Ugh" she fell over and lay on the grass, looking up at the sky.
After a few minutes of the girls catching their breathe on the ground, Maggie turned towards her neighbor.
"Man that cop was fat." Mandy grinned back and before long they were rolling on the grass, laughing their pretty little heads off.

The cop ran after the two girls. He tried to get them, but they were young and spirited, and he was getting old. 
After an embarrassing amount of time, he finally reached where he had spotted them tagging the bridge. He leaned over to catch his breath, and once he had done so he looked up to see the damage they had done.
His breathe was taken away again.
This was no graffiti.
This was art.
 ☃
Mandy didn't see Maggie for awhile after learning she was a graffiti artist. Mandy became engrossed in dramas and would watch entire seasons in a day.
When she did see Maggie next, however she was shocked. Maggie had died the tips of her hair red. She and Blaze were outside just sipping some lemonade when they saw her, and both siblings were amazed at how well she had pulled it off. 
"Hey, Maggie!" Blaze called out. She looked up and walked over to them.
"Hey."
"Hi! I noticed your hair looks snazzy. Where'd you get it done?"
"Oh, I did it by myself. Thank you!"
"Really? Wow." Blaze whistled. "Wanna help me out? I was thinking about dying my hair, but I can't decide the color, and I have no clue how to do it. Maybe you could help me some time?"
"Sure." Maggie smiled. And they just basked in the sun together, all three of them.

The next day was when they ended up dying Blaze's hair. He, being an idiot, bought every color in the rainbow and decided it was a good idea to open them all.
"Blaze! Now we'll have to use ALL the colors so we don't waste any." He stared at them blankly before realizing his stupidity.
"Ugh." He groaned."Rainbow hair...well, at least it's summers. I mean YOLO." 
"No, Blaze, just no."
"Hey, I'm trendy."
"Um, no, you're actually quite embarrassingly BEHIND the trends being a twenty year old guy."
"Waahh? I can't be THAT far behind..."
"You're like two years too late, Blaze. Please, keep your 'hip' self to yourself."
Blaze ignored his sister's rude comments and urged them to just start dying his hair. He seemed to think that Mandy knew how to dye hair...? She only volunteered to up his hairdo, I mean why not, all he ever did was sit around the house, eating or playing video games. He wanted to enjoy his lazy summer as much as possible before going to college in the fall. 
The two girls pulled on their gloves and started randomly applying colors around his head. Blaze already had platinum bleached hair, so they were just adding colors. Maggie was actually trying. She was attempting to come up with good color combinations and thicknesses and was very particulate on how and where she added the dye. Mandy, on the other hand just grabbed a bowl of dye and painted it on there until she was bored of it. 
When his entire head was covered in dripping dye that kept running together, and it looked like a unicorn threw up on his head, the girls stepped back and 'admired' their look.
"What have we done?" groaned Maggie. Mandy didn't respond, content with just snickering at her failure-at-life brother.

Surprisingly the dye job actually turned out really well, and Blaze looked unnaturally amazing with rainbow colored hair. It pissed Mandy off...a lot. Her brother was NOT supposed to look that good. And because he looked so good, he was gaining a whole lot of confidence, and was going out more. If you can consider spending all day at the local grocery store or small gaming store 'going out'. Apparently it is considered 'going out', because one day Blaze brought home a guy. Ahem, a date.
Well. This was news to Mandy. She was not aware her brother was gay. She didn't mind though, but she wished her brother had better taste. Kyungsoo, was, well...awkward. He was a gamer, like Sehun, and really, they were just such social outcasts. Mandy couldn't be more thankful that her brother was apparently extremely attractive, because to most of the girls at her school, it overpowered his insane awkwardness and slight lack of social skills.
While, yes, technically Sehun was the older of the two, Mandy was the fiercely protective. As soon as she heard a foreign voice, she rushed downstairs and her eyes widened at the newcomer.
"Sehun, who is this?"
"Wow you couldn't even say hello." Mandy grit her teeth.
"Hello, Sehun. Who is your friend?"
"He's my date and his name is Kyungsoo." She nodded and let her eyes flick over Kyungsoo. He was short. He had massive eyes. He was strangely very attractive. But lord, JESUS and Mary was he awkward as . Instead of greeting her, he just stared at her, big owl eyes wide, and unblinking. The entire time he took off his shoes and coat he stared at her. He only stopped staring when Sehun started speaking again.
"Are you hungry? We have lots of food since my mom went shopping yesterday..." 
Mandy just watched helplessly as the two sauntered into the kitchen and started eating everything.

It had been a month since Sehun brought Kyungsoo home, and the couple was nearly inseparable.  Mandy could not run away from them. At first it was okay, there wasn't any PDA, they were still awkward as I'll get out, but Mandy could deal with it. Now? She didn't even try. She just got up and left the room when both of them came in-they were waaaayy to lovey-dovy for her tastes(everybodie's tastes).
Occasionally, when Mandy wasn't in mode, (which is very rare, I repeat, very rare)she would lovingly snap pictures of her brother's relationship so she could groan about them later. She had this one picture that she kept under lock and key in her drawer, fearing what would happen if it ever saw the light. It was her worst and proudest moment. When she took that picture.