Perhaps soulmates do exist(jongkey)

Snippets and Shreds

Jonghyun never felt whole. It was as if he was born without a part of himself. All Jonghyun ever wanted was to feel complete. Once, he had felt it, for a split second when he was very little, and he grew addicted. Except, he never felt that again, and he'd do anything, give anything, to feel together again. Perhaps this is how people came up with the idea of a soul mate. Somebody was born empty, but for a split second at some point in their lives, they felt wholeness, and from then on they craved it. Perhaps they believed finding the perfect woman or man would complete them. Of course, Jonghyun has tried this. There is nothing he hasn't done, that will give him what he wants. He has done it all. He has dated and made out with and had with men, women, transgender, gender fluid-he actually humped a tree once, while on his quest to feel at ease with himself. Soulmates kind of made sense to him, but he doubted he would find one.
He still searches for something though, and this longing of his has caused him to lead quite the adventurous life. He's done everything from skydiving, to rock climbing to attending the Olympics. It didn't help.
Finally, his mother forced him to come back home and go back to school. She had never understood Jonghyun's thirst for more. That was because she had always felt content living in the suburbs of Seoul, with her husband and her two sons, quietly, happily, simply. She wanted her son to accept that he didn't have to go big, and that a common, simple life might be exactly what he was looking for. Her plan only half worked, because she let Jonghyun enroll in whatever classes he wanted to. He was a legal adult, and his life was mostly controlled by him now, so she felt it would be wrong if she picked his classes.
And this was how Jonghyun found himself in a Drawing:Portrait Foundations class. He had never picked up a pencil and paper and drawn anything, let alone a person, so he decided a drawing class might be what he was looking for. He knew it would be hard, especially when everybody else in the class could probably actually draw, but life was hard so he didn't mind. It turned out he actually possessed and insane natural talent, and within the month of the first day, he could draw realistic people. Of course, he was nowhere near as good as his classmates, but he had improved so much so fast, and he actually enjoyed drawing.
On the other end of the spectrum, Kibum was, by far, the best in the class. He was an art prodigy, and his first sketches were miles ahead of Jonghyun's finished products. For this reason, the two ended up gravitating towards each other. 
Kibum befriended Jonghyun, because he was amazed at his determination and his sudden improvement. He wanted to help Jonghyun, because when Jonghyun accomplished something, he would beam and giggle while admiring the drawing, and to Kibum that was so beautiful.  
Jonghyun befriended Kibum because he knew Kibum felt it to. That emptiness. Kibum was an amazing artist, and Jonghyun admired his work, but he saw that Kibum never finished his drawings. There was always a part of it that he left unshaded, or a line that never reached it's destination and Jonghyun knew that Kibum was searching also.
Their classmates were amazed by how quickly their friendship has blossomed. It was as if one day they were complete strangers, and the next the best of friends who understood the other completely. 
It was with Kibum, that a thought crossed Jonghyun's mind. They were in the studio, working on the latest project of drawing different types of noses, when it hit him, hard, suddenly, and completely out of the blue. But it made sense to him. It made complete sense and he turned to watch Kibum drawing a celebrity's left nostril. 

Perhaps soulmates do exist.

 

Taemin knew Kibum was different from the moment he came home after the first day of school. His roommate came home and made himself a peanut butter a jelly sandwich while humming a random song that probably only existed within his head. Last time he had heard Kibum sing was never. Usually, Kibum was a grumpy guy completely focused on his art, and God help you if you disturb him. But this Kibum...Taemin didn't know what to do with him. He seemed almost approachable, and nobody in their right mind would see Kim Kibum as approachable.
He just sat their quietly, ignoring the television to watch Kibum make his sand which rather intensively. He was mostly confused, but Kibum took it wrongly and ended up making a sandwich for Taemin too.
"Here you go."
He hand Taemin the sand which and sat down on the couch next to him. Taemin looked at the plate in shock. Kibum had never made him a sandwich. What on earth was going on? He decided meh could probably eat the sand which without dying, plus he had actually been hungry for awhile, he was just to lazy to get up and get food. Half way through the sand which, he realized he had been a little rude.
"Thanks." He mumbled. Kibum just nodded and continued eating his own sand which. 
After he was done, he waited until Taemin finished, then took both plates back into the kitchen and set them down in the sink. He grabbed a glass and filled it with water before leaving and going to where he always went. 
The studio.

 After living with him for three years now, Taemin could very easily see style shifts in Kibum's paintings. While he was primarily a drawer, and that was what he was known for, at home Kibum painted. His studio was bursting at the seams, it was so full of paintings. And Taemin was the only other person alive who had seen them all.
This is because Kibum won't let anybody in his studio. But, being roommates, they live together and Kibum goes out a lot, and Taemin gets bored, so he sneaks into the room and admires every painting in the room that's just wasted away, collecting dust, and leaning against the wall. The first year consisted of eyes. The paintings were almost exclusively limited to eyes. Eyes of every shape, type, color and form. Tiger eyes, bird eyes, snake eyes, human eyes, but to predominant type of eye, was doll eyes. You knew it was a doll, because his doll paintings didn't just consist of eyes, but the entire body was drawn around it also. It was just, you always had to focus on the eyes, because they were the only thing painted with care and time. The rest of the painting was always sloppy and messy, but the eyes were neat, clean and pretty. They showed so much emotion, yet at the same time no emotion at all because it was a doll.
The second year, it changed to puppets. Sometimes shadow puppets, sometimes finger puppets, sometimes hand held puppets. The puppet paintings were creepier then the doll paintings. The doll paintings had a different feel to them-it was as if they were less sincere. The puppet paintings exuded with feeling though, and puppets with feelings was a scary thought to Taemin. He always wondered what went on in Kibum's head, after looking through his paintings. Why is there a painting of two puppets trapped in glass boxes, crying over the absence of the other one? Taemin thought he would never know. 
The third year combined his previous two muses. Kibum painted marionettes. At first, his marionette dolls looked like dolls with strings on them. They had unnaturally long eyelashes, a completely blank, yet excited emotion, obviously strawy hair, and fingers that were glued together. But as the year went on, his paintings became more and more realistic. Not long after he came home and made them both a sandwich, Kibum's paintings were scarily realistic, and Taemin contemplated not going into the studio ever again, just to avoid the thought of real, life human marionette dolls. It was just too disturbing.