Comfort and Confusion

Meaningful Mess

Minhyuk was trying to process how he’d ended up here on the roof of the school with Changkyun.

He had blown up at the table in the cafeteria, no longer able to contain himself while watching his friends (especially Wonho) laugh with and dote on Changkyun when the youngest brought out more of the rice balls that they’d all loved so much.

He’d lost it and had vented his frustrations at the younger boy to his friends, insisting that Changkyun was using them, and of all of them it had been Wonho who’d scolded him. His oldest and best friend had snapped at him with his eyes full of anger and disappointment. He’d been shocked for a moment because Wonho had never yelled at him quite like that before but he’d quickly gathered himself and stormed away, unable to take anymore.

He’d gone to the one place he was sure no one would find him: the roof. No one ever really went up there, even though the school had never fixed the broken lock and he’d figured that it was the perfect spot to get some space from his friends and Changkyun.

It was just his luck that he was found and it was by the person he’d least expected and least wanted to see: Changkyun.


“Minhyuk-hyung...”

He jumped at the timid voice that called his name and he reacted on instinct, voice harsh and angry, “What do you want? And don’t call me “hyung”, we’re not friends.”

The kid nodded and whimpered, “S- Sorry...”

He, “Why did it have to be us?”

The brunette blinked in confusion, “What?”

“You could have chosen any group in the entire school to make friends with but you just had to choose us, didn’t you? We were fine just the way we were.”

The younger didn’t say anything, looking too scared to utter a single word.

He continued on, letting every thought and feeling he’d had bottled up since he’d met Changkyun out. He’d thought it would feel good to get it all out but when Changkyun visibly flinched after his revelation about Jooheon it only left a hollow, almost guilty feeling in his chest. The sensation grew stronger when he realized that the youngest had started to cry because of his words.

He ignored the odd feeling and prepared another onslaught when a deep, familiar voice surprised him, “That’s enough, Minhyuk.”

He looked away from the brunette’s pained expression and was shocked to see that the voice belonged to Hyungwon and he was stalking towards them with an angry glare locked dead on Minhyuk himself.


The blonde swallowed nervously as the taller teen reached them. He’d never seen Hyungwon so mad in all the time he’d known him and for a moment he feared that the younger was actually going to hit him.

Instead, Hyungwon stopped next to Changkyun and began speaking softly to him. He watched the younger boy flinch slightly when Hyungwon reached up to touch his face but the taller boy continued anyways and brushed away some his tears.

He watched Hyungwon’s lips move but he spoke so softly that he couldn’t hear what he said from the distance between them. Whatever it was, it made the younger bury his face in the blonde’s shoulder and Hyungwon shot another glare over the maknae’s shoulder at Minhyuk.

He began to softly the back of the younger’s head, all gentleness towards the smaller boy, but his gaze was ice cold as he focussed on the older blonde.

“You’ve gone far enough with all of this, Minhyuk-hyung.”

Minhyuk bristled at the statement and was about to respond when suddenly the rest of Monsta X came barrelling through the door to the rooftop.

He stared wide-eyed at all of his friends as they straightened themselves and all of them shot Minhyuk looks of disappointment.

How long had they been there?


Two chapters in two days! Yeah I warned you that this one would be short but I needed a bridge between chapter 5 and chapter 7 and wanted to get a bit of Minhyuk's POV in here. As I told a few people in the comments Chapter 7 is where we finally discover what happened to make Minhyuk so distrusting of Changkyun. It'll be up in a day or two so look forward to it!