Moving Forward

Meaningful Mess

With the conflicts for the most part resolved the atmosphere was much lighter amongst the seven teenagers and they were all glad they could begin to move on from the past unpleasantness.

Shownu pulled out his phone to check the time and sighed, “The bell’s gonna ring any minute now, we’d better get going. Good thing we all grabbed our bags before.”

They all nodded in agreement and began to file towards the door but Changkyun was stopped by a hand grabbing his arm and pulling him backwards.

He turned around and was surprised to find that it was Hyungwon holding him back, a nervous expression on his face. The others stopped upon realizing that two of their members had stopped walking and turned around to check on them but Hyungwon waved them on.

“I just want to talk to Changkyunnie for a minute, we’ll catch up with you guys.”

Kihyun and Shownu nodded and, in true umma and appa fashion, began herding the other three through the door. Wonho peered curiously over his shoulder at them, Minhyuk gave them a glance as well and Jooheon just smiled a little to himself as he strolled towards the stairs, he had a feeling what the blonde was about to do from the anxious look on his face.

When the door shut behind them Hyungwon turned back to face Changkyun, who had begun wiping away the remnants of the tears from his adorable flushed face.

The tall blonde chewed his bottom lip nervously and gathered up all the courage he had in him in preparation for what he planned to say.


“Are you okay?”

Changkyun nodded and gave a wet laugh, “I’m just so glad that Minhyuk-hyung isn’t mad at me anymore.”

Hyungwon smiled at the younger’s relief but inside he was still a bit angry at Minhyuk for his recent behavior despite Changkyun’s easy forgiveness. He really hoped that the older blonde would make it up to the small brunette and that he treated him better in the future. If he didn’t then he and Minhyuk were definitely going to be having a conversation...

He noticed that the maknae still looked shaken and immediately pulled him into a hug, “It’s gonna be alright now, Changkyunnie. If Minhyuk-hyung or anyone else ever treats you like that again you tell me right away, alright?”

Changkyun blushed hard at the protectiveness in Hyungwon’s voice, his stomach full of butterflies at the unspoken promise of protection from his crush.

Hyungwon glanced down and spotted the familiar red cheeks of his adorable Changkyunnie.

He chuckled warmly, “Ah Changkyunnie, you’re so cute!”

The compliment, as per usual, only made the younger blush harder much to the blonde’s enjoyment. He really did love seeing Changkyun get all adorably flustered whenever he complimented him or did skinship with him. He remembered when Changkyun had been at his house over the past weekend for their tutoring session...

*FLASHBACK*

They had been in Hyungwon’s room for over an hour going over proper nouns and pronouns for his upcoming test and Hyungwon was ready to take a break.

He dropped his head down on his desk on top of his textbooks and moaned, “Changkyunnie, can we please take a break now? My brain is starting to hurt...”

Changkyun laughed softly at his cry, it was a sweet, cute little sound that made Hyungwon smile no matter what whenever he heard it.

The younger boy closed the notebook he’d been looking at and nodded, “Yeah I think it’s good if we take a break now, we don’t have that much left to go over for your test anyways. You’ve gotten a lot better since we started hyung, I’m really proud of you.”

Hyungwon’s chest filled with warmth when Changkyun declared that he was proud of him, “I wouldn’t be anywhere close to this level if it weren’t for you, Changkyunnie. Seriously, I would’ve flunked out of that class if it hadn’t been for you.”

Changkyun blushed softly at the sincerity in the older boy’s voice, “I-It’s no problem, hyung. I told you it was my pleasure and I wouldn’t want you to fail. I’m glad I’ve been able to be such a help to you.”

The blonde softly ruffled the younger’s hair and pulled him up out of his chair so they could go sit on the floor and lean back against his bed.

“How about we watch some TV? I think Running Man is on.”

Changkyun nodded in agreement and blushed when Hyungwon’s arm settled against his back as he draped it over the edge of the bed.

Hyungwon caught the blush and grinned a little to himself as he settled in a little closer to the younger until he could feel his pleasant warmth against his side.

The younger calmed himself slightly and couldn’t resist leaning into the long, lean body of the boy next to him just a little bit, hoping that Hyungwon wouldn’t notice.

Both basked in the atmosphere and the presence of each other as Running Man came on and after watching that they went back to studying for a little while longer. Changkyun was invited to stay for dinner by Mrs. Chae and after a delicious meal, Hyungwon walked him to the bus station and waited with him until the bus came. He gave the younger boy a hug before he boarded the bus, sending Changkyun off with bright red cheeks.

*END FLASHBACK*

He pulled himself from that pleasant memory and felt his own cheeks heat up slightly as he prepared to ask the maknae something he’d wanted to ask him for weeks now.

He cleared his throat, “U-Um Changkyunnie?”

Brown doe eyes blinked up at him as Changkyun tilted his head like a puppy, “Yeah, hyung?”

“W-Would you like to go out with me after school?”

Changkyun’s eyes widened hugely and for a moment all he could do was stare up at the handsome blonde.

Because of the silence Hyungwon began to panic internally.

Had he been wrong, did Changkyun not like him too?

Had he screwed everything up by asking the younger out only minutes after he’d had to deal with everything with Minhyuk?

Had he just ruined his relationship with his adorable Changkyun?

All his panic was soothed the next moment when a blinding smile stretched across Changkyun’s face and a sweet giggle escaped from between his soft pink lips.

“I’d love to go out with you, Hyungwonnie-hyung!”

The combination of the acceptance, the realization that his feelings were returned and the cute way the younger boy had just said his name overwhelmed Hyungwon to the point where all he could do was grin like an idiot from happiness.

“Should we meet by the front gate then?”

The taller teen nodded dazedly, happily lost in the blissful feeling of his affections being returned. But his eyes nearly popped out of his head when Changkyun leaned up and kissed him on the cheek.

The younger himself looked shocked at his own actions and stuttered, red-faced, “T-Thank you, hyung! I’ll meet y-you by the gate l-later then.”

Changkyun scurried away, hiding his flush cheeks beneath his hands, as the bell for class rang.

Hyungwon stood frozen on the roof still feeling the softness of Changkyun’s lips pressing against his cheek and he raised a hand to brush against the area gingerly. He was startled back to reality by a sudden yelp that undoubtedly belonged to Changkyun.


Worried, Hyungwon rushed to the door to find Changkyun staring in shock at all of their friends standing in the stairwell grinning at them knowingly.

Before either of them could say anything Jooheon and Minhyuk began jumping around and singing, “Hyungwon and Changkyun sitting in a tree~”

Wonho joined in on the good-natured teasing as Kihyun went over to nudge Changkyun gently, giving the maknae a smile that said, “I knew it would work out.” Obviously the umma of Monsta X had long ago figured out that they had feelings for each other.

Wonho, Minhyuk and Jooheon were all dancing around Hyungwon and playfully teasing him as Shownu watched on in amusement. The tall blonde began swatting at their friends but the wide smile and bright look in his eyes never faded.

Over the playful banter Shownu called out, “Yah! We’re already late for class and I know for a fact that Kihyun, Changkyun and I are the only ones that can afford it.”

Minhyuk, Jooheon, Wonho and Hyungwon all froze at the leader’s words and the four of them rushed to scramble down the stairs.

Hyungwon got halfway down the stairs before he turned and darted back up to give Changkyun a quick kiss on the cheek. He quickly raced back down the stairs and shouted over his shoulder, “See you after school for our date, Changkyunnie!”

Shownu, Kihyun and Changkyun were left on the stairs, the elders smiling fondly at the blushing maknae who was touching the spot that Hyungwon had just kissed.

They gently herded the younger down the stairs and when they reached the first landing they could hear Wonho yell from further down the staircase.

“Yah, Lee Minhyuk! Watch your elbows why don’t you?!”

“Make me!”

The maknae and hyungs looked at each other and laughed. There was never a dull moment when Monsta X was around.


It's over!! TT^TT But fear not dear readers for my special announcement is.... I'm gonna do a oneshot about Hyungwon and Changkyun's first date! Yay! I also may do an actual sequel in the future where I include some other pairings (Showki & Wonhyuk, most likely). I have plans to do some Seventeen oneshots as well centered around Minghao and all the ships I have for him so the sequel may not be for a while if I do it. (I probably will, I'm so in love with this little universe that I've created.) The oneshot of their first date might take a little while to get up but I'm currently writing out all of the major plot points before I start writing it out, like I usually do. The oneshot will be seperate from this story so keep an eye out for it. I may put a little note in an extra chapter here or maybe I'll put a link to it in the description when I put it up.

I'd like to say thank you once again to all of the readers who've been enjoying this story and have subscribed and commented. I get such a kick out of reading everyone's comments and reactions to the chapters which is why I definitely want to write more for this pairing in the future. From the people who have been with this story since I first posted it to the ones who only found this story today or sometime in the future I want to say thank you so much, I'm glad that I was able to give you guys a story that you all consistently enjoyed. See you guys in the next one!

Oh! And they're doing another season of Deokspatch X so there's another reason for us to celebrate! I can't wait to see the hilarity that ensues this time around. XD