Rooftop Confrontations

Meaningful Mess

“Minhyuk-hyung...”

The blonde jumped at the soft call of his name and he whipped around, wide-eyed, to face Changkyun.

However, the initial shock wore off and was quickly replaced with anger, a look that Changkyun had long become used to from Minhyuk, “What do you want? And don’t call me “hyung”, we’re not friends.”

Changkyun nodded nervously, “S- Sorry...”

Minhyuk groaned and ran a hand through his fluffy blonde hair, “Why did it have to be us?”

The brunette blinked in confusion, “What?”

“You could have chosen any group in the entire school to make friends with but you just had to choose us, didn’t you? We were fine just the way we were.”

Changkyun didn’t move or make a sound; entirely sure that anything he said would only serve to make Minhyuk even angrier.

“And another thing! You play all innocent, like you really want to be friends, but I know how people like you work. Sure you’re all nice one day, making rice balls and acting all shy but you’re really just putting on an act so that we’ll like you, aren’t you? And once you’re part of the group you’ll just keep hanging out with us until you’re popular enough to dump us! Well that’s not gonna work because I’ve had you figured out since day one.”

Changkyun’s eyes burned at the older teen’s harsh accusations but he forced himself to keep the welling tears at bay, “I- I don’t know w-why you think those things Minhyuk-hyu... ssi. I- I really like all of you so m-much and everyone’s been so nice to me-”

Minhyuk exploded, “They’re only being nice because they pity you! Jooheon told us all about how you didn’t have any friends and Shownu-hyung and Kihyun felt bad for you! Do you know why Jooheon even agreed to bring you to our table that day?”

The younger shook his head, his stomach heavy after Minhyuk’s harsh words, “N- No...”

The blonde’s eye narrowed as he hissed, “He only brought you because the teacher promised to give him extra credit if he’d show the loner new kid around!”


Changkyun’s churning stomach became a block of ice at Minhyuk’s revelation and his thoughts turned tumultuous.

Was Minhyuk right, did the others just pity him and that’s why they’d all been so nice to him? He thought back to all the kind smiles and warm, affectionate touches and couldn’t help but tremble at the thought that they had all been part of an act.

...Did Hyungwon pity him too?

He shook himself violently before he let that train of thought get too far, not at all prepared if it turned out to be true.

With all the added information and the layers of hurt and confusion, this time Changkyun was unable to stop the tears that welled up with a vengeance from falling down his cheeks.

A small, frustrated whimper escaped from between his tightly closed lips and he internally berated himself for being so weak, for believing even for a second that he had had a chance at being friends with such amazing people...

Minhyuk opened his mouth again, obviously intent on releasing another wave of acidic words, when a voice called out, “That’s enough, Minhyuk.”

Changkyun whipped around and, through tear blurred vision, recognized the speaker: Hyungwon.

The youngest let out a miserable sob at the sight of his crush as Hyungwon approached. The handsome teen was frowning and his fierce glare was locked firmly on Minhyuk as he reached them.

Changkyun was shaking and more tears slipped down his face; he was sure that Hyungwon was there to add his own two cents into what Minhyuk had already said, that the older boy would tell him that he knew all about his crush and that he’d never like someone like Changkyun or make fun of him for liking him.

Instead of doing any of that, Hyungwon just stopped at his side and reached up towards Changkyun’s face. The youngest was unable to stop himself from flinching ever so slightly, in his confused state of mind still thinking that Hyungwon had some sort of ill will towards him.

Hyungwon however continued despite the maknae’s flinch and gently brushed some tears off of his cheek with long, caring fingers.

Changkyun inhaled sharply and looked up at the taller teen, biting his lip softly at the warm, concerned look in his dark eyes. His own eyes fluttered shut when Hyungwon rested his hand on his flushed cheek and he leaned into the large hand, taking the comfort the older boy so readily offered.

Hyungwon’s soft, honeyed voice filled his ears, “It’s okay Changkyunnie, I’ve got you.”

Relief flooded the maknae at the realization that at the very least Hyungwon’s kindness had been genuine. He let out another sob as he buried his face in the blonde’s broad shoulder and clung to the back of his shirt desperately.

Unseen by the youngest, Hyungwon cast another fierce glare at Minhyuk over his head as he began Changkyun’s soft brown hair.

His anger only increased when he felt Changkyun shake against his chest and he growled, “You’ve gone far enough with all of this, Minhyuk-hyung.”


I'M ALIVE! Seriously, I am SO sorry to everyone for taking so long to update this but Monsta X's comeback has given me the kick in the pants I need to finish this story. Who else is loving "Rush"? My favorite part of the MV is Changkyun sitting on Shownu while he's doing push-ups. XD Our cutie maknae!

As of this very moment I have almost all of Chapter 7 written down in my notebook and will be typing up Chapter 6 either tonight or tomorrow morning. There are 9 chapters in total so we're almost there! I swear that this time I won't drop off the map for two months. >x<

Thanks to everyone who's subscribed, commented and upvoted, I'm so glad that you're all enjoying this story and I really appreciate your support. Let me know what you thought of this chapter! The next chapter will be pretty short but it's needed to bridge between this part and Chapter 7, it's in Minhyuk's POV.