Part IV

Far, Far Away but Close, Close to You

Slightly shorter part but I've started this story as a oneshot and in order to make equeal chapters out of it this chap turned out to be this long... Please, don't hate me too hard!
Warning for ual references (I keep things PG though so don't think too much of it)

 

“We’re ridiculous.”

 

Kyungsoo sighs. It hasn’t been minutes since they said their goodbyes to Minseok and the Two Moons but Prince Kim Jongdae is already nagging.

 

“The only ridiculous person around is you.”

 

“They’re riding like ten meters ahead of us.” Jongdae continues indignantly. “We could have gone together, there isn’t such a difference with how we are now.”

 

“Then why are you complaining? Is it not close enough or…? “

 

Kyungsoo watches with a smirk as Jongdae finally shuts up and starts to examine the mountains in the distance.

 

- - -

 

“We’re ridiculous.” The knight comments after taking a peek behind.

 

The little prince on the white horse glares at him.

 

“Shut up, Chanyeol.”

 

- - -

 

The forest otherwise is pretty scary.

 

The trees are standing so close to each other that their crowns mold into one big green tent above their heads, letting very little light inside and making the paths seem dark and endless. (Jongdae has long lost the sight of Baekhyun’s graceful back. Too bad.)

 

There are also no animals running around which takes Jongdae’s fear to a whole another level. If not even animals can live in a place like this, it must be cursed or something.

 

“Does this really the only way we could go on?” He whispers. Jongdae has no reason why since the forest is so deserted that a drop of a pin could be heard anyway.

 

Kyungsoo opens up the map.

 

“This forest is enormous. It would have been a detour.”

 

“Princess Sunyoung has waited since forever basically. She can wait a little more.” Jongdae stutters. His arms are freezing in the light shirt and thin vest he’s wearing.

 

“If we don’t rescue her, your mom will end you.”

 

“No, I just have to go and rescue another princess.”

 

Kyungsoo sends him a look.

 

“Jongdae.”

 

“But really, it has nothing to do with Princess Sunyoung. The point is I have to get married so they could get rid of me.” Jongdae pouts. “Those cruel people.”

 

It’s been two days since he has left Far, Far Away but his family hasn’t sent him one single letter. Okay, he hasn’t sent one either but why should Prince Kim Jongdae be the one who starts the correspondence? He said he only writes when he needs backup too. His parents (or Jonghyun and Jongin) have made no statements like that.

 

They’re probably already enjoying the benefits of not having me around, Jongdae wails inside his head. He would do it loudly but 1) Kyungsoo would call him ridiculous again and 2) the forest is too peaceful to be broken by his cries of missing dissing home.

 

However the forest isn’t peaceful for long.

 

Just as Jongdae and Kyungsoo arrive to a glade, different kinds of hollers can be heard from behind the trees and even a few arrows fly through the air.

 

Here comes the raid Prince Jongdae has predicted earlier.

 

“Stay still.” Kyungsoo says both to the horses and Jongdae.

 

“Kyungsoo-ya, what to do? We can’t fight!”

 

“We can manage, can’t we?” The witty response comes.

 

Jongdae would stick his tongue out at him but he’s too terrified to do that.

 

Soon the hollers and arrows stop and a gang of men make an entrance from behind the trees. The one in the front is tall, fair-skinned and light-haired and for some reason wears a smirk which makes Jongdae cry for his mom. (No matter how cruel she is at the moment.)

 

“Good morning, people.” The front man speaks. His voice is deep but it’s easy to see he’s around Jongin’s age. “You’re in the honor of getting robbed.”

 

The gang laughs like the bunch of stupid hyenas in that tale Jongdae has read with Kyungsoo when the former wailed that he’s read enough princess tales. (Lion King?)

 

Kyungsoo pulls out his better-than-average-acting and tries to be as cool as he can.

 

“Nice to meet you too, sir…”

 

“Sehun. I go by the name of Sehun.” The boy interrupts. “Who are you, little stranger?”

 

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

Sehun’s attention turns towards the stranger on the other horse. His eyes glint with play.

 

“And how is that shivering beauty called over there, Kyungsoo?”

 

Jongdae feels the urge to turn around who the blonde guy is talking about because there is no shivering beauty in here… but then he realizes. And blushes so red he’s practically glowing in the dark forest.

 

Kyungsoo’s jaw tightens a bit.

 

“He’s Jongdae.”

 

“Jongdae…” Sehun tastes the name slowly then attempts to step closer and takes another look. “You blush prettily, Jongdae. Prettier than you should.”

 

Jongdae turns his head towards the ground. What the is happening? Aren’t these people bandits or something? What’s with the misplaced (and so disturbing) compliments?

 

“I would not like to cut you off, sir, but we have a journey to carry on.” Kyungsoo speaks up in a controlled voice. (Jongdae would be amazed by his calm if he wasn’t now besides terrified, embarrassed too.) “Please, take what you need and let us go.”

 

“Exactly, the boss is waiting for us.” One of the bandits agrees loudly.

 

Sehun waves him off, eyes never leaving Jongdae.

 

“Yeah, yeah, we should… Guys, take their bags. We’ll take the persons as hostages so keep your eyes on them.”

 

Jongdae’s eyes double. Stealing their money is one thing (there’s plenty where that came from) but hostages?

 

Kyungsoo’s mask of control also falls.

 

“Sehun, sir…”

 

“You don’t have to worry about anything.” Sehun assures them as he swings himself up onto Thunder. Jongdae squeaks in surprise but Sehun’s hands are on his hips to steady him. His back is to Sehun’s chest and it sends an uncomfortable shiver down Jongdae’s spine. “You’re going to enjoy our hospitality. I’ll make that sure.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes are sending thunderbolts but he firmly nods. The gang is too big. They couldn’t stand a chance.

 

The trip to the camp of the bandits isn’t long but feels like an eternity for Jongdae.
He figures it’s time for reflection since he probably won’t be able to be alive enough to think tomorrow.

 

He, Kim Jongdae, wasn’t such a bad child. He really did his best to obey his parents – he learnt hard, kept his room tidy and never told Jonghyun for terrorizing him and/or Jongin. He always ate the disgusting soups Nanny Wart had made him for breakfast, lunch and even dinner without any dessert and went to bed as soon as the sun has gone down.

 

He, Kim Jongdae, wasn’t such a bad person in general either. He picked up lonely and sick animals and built them a home, nagged The King for building a home to homeless people, gave free bread to poor children on the streets and always greeted politely everyone, be it a postman or a dove.

 

What did he do that he deserves to die in such circumstances?

 

Jongdae suddenly remembers the black-haired prince with the feminine body. Well, maybe that’s the way Heavens punish him for peeping at Baekhyun. But is it really that much of a sin? It’s not like Baekhyun has a body to hide. And Jongdae didn’t stare for that long, he didn’t even get to touch –

 

No, no, no. It’s not the right time for inappropriate thoughts, Prince Kim Jongdae, you’re in the middle of reflecting on yourself before you die.

 

“How do you like our forest?”

 

Sehun breaks the silence behind. He’s holding the reins but his hands are resting leisurely on Jongdae’s thighs.

 

Jongdae tries not to think of that.

 

“It’s… dark.”

 

Sehun chuckles.

 

“Yes, it is. There are several glades though, just like the one we met earlier by, where light peeks through. I can show you all.”

 

There is something in Sehun’s voice which actually disturbs Jongdae more than the constant skinship. He can’t pinpoint it though.

 

(He can pinpoint Kyungsoo behind them gritting his teeth though. Oh crap, he hears them?)

 

“Y-you don’t have to bother.”

 

“Please, it’s my pleasure.” Sehun leans a bit over Jongdae’s shoulder. His breath is fanning Jongdae’s high cheekbones as he whispers. “Tell me what can pleasure you.”

 

The air of the forest is suddenly ten degrees hotter. Jongdae doesn’t know where to look (and what to think and what to say). He settles down playing with his fingers in his lap and eyeing the saddle.

 

Sehun waits a bit for an answer but since he doesn’t get one, leans back with a smile.

 

“You don’t have to be shy, Jongdae-a.”

 

“I’m pretty sure I’m your hyung.”

 

Jongdae bites his lip. Why did he say that? It’s so irrelevant. And moreover he fears his life, isn’t he? He shouldn’t play the watch-what-you-say-to-your-hyung game with a leader of a gang of bandits.

 

“Oh really? Well you don’t look like one to me.” Sehun voices out his surprise but then returns to the warm tone he has used ever since they’ve met. “You’re so tiny and pretty… But I can call you, hyung, if you want. Jongdae hyung… My tiny and pretty Jongdae hyung.”

 

Jongdae deems that the fact they finally arrive to the camp and he doesn’t have to deal with Sehun’s forwardness any longer is his reward for reflecting so earnestly. (But does he really not have to?)

 

The camp isn’t that big but the people staying at it are. In the middle of the place fire is burning and there’s two people sitting on the ground, hands roped behind their backs.

 

Jongdae immediately recognizes one of them as Baekhyun. His small face is dirty here and there and the pants on his knees are ripped. He looks like he’s been dragged on the ground. Jongdae wants to hop down from the horse and check if he’s okay, or at least ask about it but a voice doesn’t let him.

 

“Prince Jongdae!”

 

The other person besides Baekhyun is Chanyeol of course. And he doesn’t look better.

 

“A tiny-pretty prince hyung.” Sehun is whispering in Jongdae’s ear again. “What a catch.”

 

“Welcome back, brother.”

 

The foreign voice comes from the man standing in the entrance of a tent. He’s tall, fair and blonde-haired just like Sehun. They’re obviously siblings.

 

“Welcome back, hyung.” Sehun greets his brother back but shows no intentions of getting off the horse. On the contrary, he tightens his grip on the reins, causing Jongdae to lean back in the warmth of his embrace more.

 

Prince Kim Jongdae, don’t you dare to blush.

 

“Who is that?” Sehun’s older brother asks eyeing the new visitors.

 

“Hostages.”

 

“I see that. But who are they really? Why did you kidnap them?”

 

That’s a question Jongdae would love to know the answer to. He and Kyungsoo (who’s maintaining eye contact with Chanyeol hard) were willing to give the bandits all the money and valuable belongings they have. (Even the precious horses.) Why did Sehun decide to take the two of them as well? After all he didn’t know Jongdae is Prince Kim Jongdae, 2nd Prince of Far, Far Away. (He hasn’t even asked, just kept flirting shamelessly.)

 

Sehun smirks and looks at the boy in the saddle with him.

 

“It was a one plus one deal, Luhan hyung. In order to get the pretty one, I had to take the grumpy one.”

 

Jongdae is hearing some kind of grumbling coming from beside the fire (actually it hauntingly has the same timbre Baekhyun does) but it could be he’s just imagining things.

 

Luhan rolls his eyes with a grin.

 

“Aigoo, Sehun-a. You can’t just walk away when you see something you like, don’t cha? … The one I caught is prettier though.”

 

Jongdae doesn’t have to question who Luhan is speaking about, it’s a rhetorical question really. And also Luhan sends a look to Baekhyun which screams well… . (Jongdae might know very little about that but he can detect this much... he had lived with Kim Jonghyun for seventeen years after all.)

 

Baekhyun somehow doesn’t blush just grimaces.

 

“You can think what you want but I want him.” Sehun drops his hands back to Jongdae’s thighs and even squeezes. Jongdae wants to run away so much. “Actually I’m thinking of keeping him, hyung.”

 

Luhan now doesn’t look too happy.

 

“We’ll talk about that… Let’s just get ready for lunch now.”