Part XII

Far, Far Away but Close, Close to You

... yes, this is me and yes, this is another update. Unbelievable huh? Well, it's happening. Next update tomorrow or the day after that (or even sooner... idk check this story often, okay? haha) Enjoy~

 

 

Prince Baekhyun knocks thrice on the door of the room close with a faltering smile and sweaty hands.

 

Chanyeol definitely overthinks this and it’s just a promise to fulfill but… oh my God, he’s so nervous and excited, he kind of wants to die and reborn in Heaven in the same time. (Not like it was possible but… Byun Baekhyun is Byun Baekhyun.)

 

“Oh… Baekhyun.”

 

“Hi, Jongdae. Well you know we’ve talked about something this morning and the sun is about to go down so…?”

 

2nd Prince of Far, Far Away tilts his head to the side in wonder of what the Heavens above the fellow prince is talking about. Something they’ve talked about this morning, the sun is about to go down… oh right!

 

“The mayflies!”

 

“Yes, it’s about the mayflies.” Prince Baekhyun chuckles. “You’re ready to go?”

 

“I’ll go and ask Soo if he wants to come.”

 

Baekhyun looks surprised by how fast Jongdae shuts the door in front of him but Jongdae can care less. He jumps onto his friend’s sleeping form like a maniac.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, my dear and loyal friend, wake and help me~”

 

“Dear and loyal friend is sleepy. Grow up and solve your problems alone.”

 

Jongdae whines. That can’t do.

 

“The mayflies fly out soon and we agreed to go –“

 

“Do whatever you want.” Kyungsoo still in dreamland murmurs as he turns to his other side. “I’ll do the same.”

 

What a helpful friend.

 

Jongdae checks his reflection in the mirror which stands on the cabinet. He took a long and warm bath, took a little nap too. He feels refreshed and clean. He’s ready to go, why is he hesitating still?

 

Okay, it’s not like he has no ideas whatsoever. Commoner Do Kyungsoo was straightforward enough to get his prince thinking… but Jongdae can’t. He refuses to think. He’s been doing pretty much okay without overcomplicating things. He won’t start to ponder this time either. Things will settle on their own, won’t they?

 

And it’s just about mayflies after all. It’d be stupid to overthink and princes aren’t stupid.

 

Thinking of the latter Prince Kim Jongdae makes an exit from the room bravely.

 

Baekhyun is standing on the same place he left him.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

They stroll down the corridor leisurely. When they pass by the room the prince and knight from Never, Never Land share, Jongdae looks at the fellow prince strangely.

 

“Knight Chanyeol doesn’t come?”

 

“He said he wants to sleep.” Baekhyun turns his head when he says that but Jongdae still sees he’ blushing as his neck is on fire too. “Hench- Knight Kyungsoo?”

 

“He said the same. Weird, huh?”

 

Baekhyun just hums as they walk down the stairs.

 

There are both Star and Angel waiting for them in the stall but Baekhyun advises to take only his horse, thinking Chanyeol and Kyungsoo might need the other one later. Jongdae doubts any of them will wake in this lifetime (at least that’s what he expects from Kyungsoo and his sleeping habits) but Baekhyun looks sure of what he’s doing so he goes with the suggestion (it has nothing to do with that Prince Kim Jongdae is still a bit afraid from horses… no, not at all.)

 

As they ride through the grassland next to Small Mountains, Jongdae watches with awe as the sun only shines so close to the end of the horizon. The land is brown and green but the sky is a mix of orange, pink and blue… So pretty. He’s seen some sunsets back in Far, Far Away but not as clearly as he does now, riding through an open land.

 

“Pretty, right?”

 

Baekhyun’s speaking close to his ear, his lips lightly grazing Jongdae’s earlobe. Maybe he understands why the other prince wanted to take only one horse but the reason why Prince Jongdae has to sit in front of Prince Baekhyun is still a mystery for the former.

 

It doesn’t feel bad. Baekhyun is there to hold him if he’s about to fall down, the warmth coming from his body feels good through Jongdae’s thin vest in the cooling night and… it’s Baekhyun.

 

Prince Kim Jongdae bites his lip. What he’s thinking and why he’s thinking like this is another mystery… or misery, it depends on how you see things.

 

“Sunsets in Never, Never Land are so boring.” The other prince continues. “Like… I don’t think there’s anything special about sunsets. But this one looks kind of special, don’t you think?”

 

2nd Prince of Far, Far Away, say something, for God’s sake.

 

“I-it is… I’ve just thought the same actually. Like sunsets are okay in Far, Far Away. I don’t know about Never, Never Land.”

 

“One day you might know.”

 

Jongdae tries not to think too much of the sentence but his heartbeat accelerates anyway.

 

The creek soon appears in front of the two princes in all of its evening glory. Baekhyun hops down first and stretches his arm out for Jongdae to hold.

 

Prince Kim Jongdae is too embarrassed by the offer (and swoons deep down but doesn’t admit it) but finally grabs the other prince’s hand and lands with two feet on the ground.

 

“Let’s sit down there.”

 

Jongdae obediently follows Baekhyun- or more like endures being dragged along the lake. He actually didn’t get what Baekhyun said because his focus is on their intertwined fingers. It feels nice. Baekhyun’s hand is small and soft but they’re a good fit, the action feels natural and- omg Prince Jongdae what’s with your thinking again?

 

It’s all Kyungsoo to blame. Kyungsoo and his… wild imagination. Right?

 

- - -

 

“Soo.”

 

“Leave me alone, Jongdae, I said I’m sleeping.”

 

“You clearly aren’t sleeping unless you sleep talk.”

 

“God, you know I’m sleeping like a dead, I don’t sleep talk- Chanyeol?”

 

Kyungsoo sits up abruptly. Is he dreaming or is Knight Park Chanyeol really in his room?

 

The Chanyeol vision grins.

 

“Hello, ‘Soo.”

 

Okay, Kyungsoo is obviously not dreaming. Vision Chanyeol is one-hundred percent alike to the real one, even his lame waving is there.

 

“What do you want?

 

“Our princes went on a date so I thought you might be bored.”

 

“Well, you’ve seen how busy I was so if you could leave and close the door after you –“

 

“Come on, ‘Soo. Let’s kill time.”

 

Commoner Do Kyungsoo would rather kill the knight in front of him (he’s smiling so brightly Kyungsoo goes blind if he keeps it up) but not wanting to end up in a chamber (or getting beaten up by Xiumin for soiling the clean sheets with blood) he sighs.

 

“’Kay.”

 

“Yay!”

 

Chanyeol hops next to him quickly and even lies under the blankets like it would be a natural thing to do.

 

Kyungsoo lightly scoots away from him.

 

“So… how do you want to kill time?”

 

“We could be talking.”

 

“Alright.”

 

“They’ve ditched us, haven’t they? Oh the lovebirds…”

 

 

“I saw you eyeing my sword. Do you want to practice a bit? I don’t think they’ll be back… ever so we have time for that.”

 

 

“I’ve counted ten pimples on my .”

 

“What the , Chanyeol, I didn’t want to know that!”

 

The knight laughs and pulls the blanket up to muffle his cackle.

 

“I’m glad I finally have your attention on me. Do I bore you? Or do I annoy you?”

 

“Kind of both.”

 

“Cool.”

 

Kyungsoo turns on his side to face the other.

 

“Why are you glad that I said you bore and annoy me?”

 

“Because it means I have an effect on you and that’s exactly what I want to have, Kyungsoo.”

 

Olala~ Smooth, Park Chanyeol. Very smooth.

 

The knight-to-be pulls up the blanket too to cover his face at least a little. What the heck is going on with Chanyeol? Why is he speaking like that? Did he go nuts or… Kyungsoo’s thinking of things because of his conversation with his prince?

 

“You don’t have any comeback to that?”

 

“Should I have?”

 

“I’ve expected you to hit me or curse at me.” Chanyeol blinks languidly, the corner of his mouth curling up. “Seems like you like what I’m talking about, huh?”

 

Ew.

 

“Stop being so dirty, please… We have enough problems with our princes and their raging hormones.”

 

Chanyeol turns on his back with a chuckle.

 

“You’ve realized too, haven’t you?”

 

“They’re being very obvious. It wasn’t such a hard discovery.”

 

“Do you support them?”

 

Now that is a good question… Kyungsoo would immediately say no. That’s not part of the path the royal pair of Far, Far Away have paved for their son. Prince Kim Jongdae might never be a king but he’s expected to settle down and ground a family. He has to be an example for his country. Getting together with another prince would be scandalous to say the least.

 

But at the same time, Kyungsoo wants Jongdae to be happy, to have everything he wants, to lack nothing. And if he wants… that annoying son of a – king-to-be, Prince Baekhyun from Never, Never Land, if he could make Jongdae happy then Kyungsoo should side with his prince and be there for him.

 

Kyungsoo’s duty is to take care of the prince but it was clear since the first moment that the King and the Queen of Far, Far Away haven’t thought a situation like this could occur, leaving the little one torn between being a dutiful commoner and a supporting friend.

 

Now this is .

 

“I don’t know what I should do.”

 

“I support them.” Chanyeol hums. “It’s not just that they’re cute and they’re obviously crushing on each other hard, to the point of that it’s annoying to witness them doing this weird push-and-pull thingy but I know how hard it is for my prince. He deserves all the love he can get.”

 

Kyungsoo bites his lip. Since they’re being honest with each other…

 

“You know, I’m not actually a knight.”

 

“Um… don’t hit me but I kind of guessed. Not just because you’re small and cute but because you almost dropped the sword when you pulled it away from me. No knights are this weak in the arm.”

 

“I’m weak, you say? I’ll feed you my fist and we’ll see if you’re able to say anything instead of crying for help!”

 

Breath in, breath out, Do Kyungsoo. Killing people is a bad, bad thing to do, Chanyeol probably has a family waiting for him at home, not to mention you have one to, if you go to jail, your family won’t have food to eat…

 

“I’m too young to die... and you like me too much to- Ouch! You hit me!”

 

“Of course I did.”

 

“Ya, don’t be cruel to me, Kyungsoo, I came to entertain you!”

 

Because Chanyeol continues whimpering like a stray dog, (in Kyungsoo’s opinion Chanyeol pretty much is like a dog all the time actually), Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and reaches over to soothe the pain with softly circling his thumb on the area.

 

“Does it hurt still?”

 

“No but I wanted you to pamper me.”

 

“You big calculating –“

 

At this point curse words stuck in Kyungsoo’s throat because Chanyeol lifts the thumb from his shoulder with a happy grin and places a gentle kiss on it.

 

The little inn in Small Mountains echoes a cry from hell.

 

- - -

 

“I guess we have to sit here and wait until the insects show up.” Baekhyun speaks up when they’re seated. “Is it okay for you?”

 

Jongdae is occupied with the hot feelings which conquer him thanks to the fact that they’re so close their legs are brushing but still functions as a human (and a prince) so answers.

 

“Well, it’s not like we could do anything else, right?”

 

What are they talking about really?

 

Baekhyun’s gaze runs along the calm water in front of them then his eyes flicker to Jongdae’s face.

 

“We could be talking.”

 

Oh.

 

“Talking about what?”

 

“About anything… we’ve been through quite a lot but I feel like I don’t know enough about you, Prince Kim Jongdae. Care to enlighten me?”

 

“… Why not?”

 

Jongdae knows his showing of enthusiasm could be held by an ant- wait wrong comparison ants are strong… Anyway, the point 2nd Prince of Far, Far Away is aware of that he’s not being entirely polite and princey but hey, he’s so nervous he can barely take a breath.

 

His state is upsetting… he’s nervous. And confused. He feels good but he’s nervous and confused.

 

“I…. um I’m the 2nd Prince of Far, Far Away. My father is the king… I know it doesn’t require explanation but I have an older brother, who’s the Crown Prince, named Jonghyun and a womanizer but I thought it’s important to say because Jonghyun is the age he could be enthroned already, since he’s married and all… oh my God, why am I babbling like an idiot?”

 

Yep, that last sentence came out loud.

 

Baekhyun laughs.

 

“Just continue… You’re cute.”

 

Jongdae turns his head to the side to control the flood of blush which has just washed over his face.

 

What is going on?

 

“So… yeah. Besides Jonghyun I also have a younger brother. He’s named Jongin, two years younger than me and likes to dance.”

 

“How old are you?”

 

“Um… eighteen.”

 

“Same as me.”

 

Baekhyun looks so delighted by that information his face is like glowing in the dark. (Not for real but you know.)

 

Prince Jongdae can’t help but smile too.

 

“Do you have brothers?”

 

“I have one brother. He’s Baekbeom and currently rules Never, Never Land. My parents still live with us in the castle though… and I have a sister too, Baekhee. You’ve probably heard about her, her beauty is acknowledged by all countries close.”

 

Jongdae nods like he would know. He barely remembers any princesses besides Jonghyun’s and Siwon’s wives (and all the meanies who mocked him when he was younger). Far, Far Away got its name for a reason too… but looking at Baekhyun and his fineness, that must be true.

 

Okay, back to topic.

 

“Why did you start your journey?”

 

It’s a question Prince Kim Jongdae has already wanted to ask since basically forever but either opportunity was none or the timing was wrong, he has never got to. This time seems perfect however.

 

Baekhyun blushes.

 

“Is this topic… uncomfortable?”

 

“N-not really… I mean, I know about yours. Princess Sunyoung in the North and all… I should tell about mine too, right?”

 

Okay, it is obviously an uncomfortable topic for Prince Byun Baekhyun. Why though?

 

Not even his self knows why (okay he knows he just doesn’t want to face it) but Jongdae reaches for the other prince’s hand and lightly puts his own on top of it.

 

“Is the princess you have to save is ugly?”

 

“No?”

 

“Do you have to enter a monastery otherwise?”

 

“What? No!”

 

There are some lucky people with normal parents after all.

 

“Then what is wrong? Maybe… you’re not even looking for a princess just taking a trip? I’d need vacation also.”

 

Baekhyun sighs. He pulls his hand from under the fellow prince’s and lifts it along with his other to cover his face.

 

“I’m asdfghjkl.”

 

He’s what?

 

“I don’t hear you.”

 

Baekhyun pulls his hands lightly up to reveal his mouth.

 

“I’m running away.”

 

 

Now that came unexpected.

 

Jongdae waits for the words sink in with a dropped jaw. Why would a 2nd Prince run away from its cozy home and perfect life?

 

“You mean you’re running away from home?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Why? I mean… it’s okay if you don’t want to tell but maybe I can help… if it’s about the princess arranged for you, let me tell you that beauty isn’t everything. Or if it’s her personality, all people have good sides.”

 

If Teacher Suho was here, he would clearly facepalm by his prince awful way of comforting but hey, Prince Kim Jongdae at least tries. Baekhyun seems like a nice prince (inside and outside… oh how much on the outside), he shouldn’t be running away from home and not living his perfect life… He has a sassy mouth and quite a bipolar personality but next to that he’s loyal, cheerful and caring if he wants to. In Jongdae’s opinion he deserves a happy life.

 

Baekhyun lightly peeks out between his fingers. He’s smiling lightly but his eyes don’t share the same feeling.

 

“It is about a princess… or princesses in general. But not in that way.”

 

Then how?

 

Jongdae startles when Baekhyun drops his hand and scoots a little closer to him… like a little too closer. They’ve been close enough before, there’s no need to reduce the space between them and push Jongdae down into the hole of freaking out…

 

“Baekhyun?”

 

“I’ll tell you something but you have to promise you’ll try to understand it and won’t push me away.”

 

Jongdae gulps. That’s what he wanted to do exactly… or more like pushing away would be the right thing to do, he wants to draw in Baekhyun more. For whatever reason.

 

“I’ll promise I won’t push you away and I will… try to understand you.”

 

Baekhyun searches for something in his eyes for a little more then leans down to whisper in the other prince’s ear.

 

Prince Jongdae gasps at their closeness.

 

“I prefer princes to princesses.”

 

 

 

 

Oh my God. One surprise after another…

 

 

 

 

… except that it’s not that surprising. I mean the clues were thrown all over the place, Baekhyun was like an open book the whole time, Chanyeol assisting him on the side –

 

Not for 2nd Prince of Far, Far Away, Prince Kim Jongdae though. He learns this information just now and for a second his blood runs cold.