Chapter 5: The promise

Special Division Infinite

 

Thursday, 27th August, 2:30pm, gynecologue's office.

 

 

~°~°~ Sunggyu ~°~°~

 

“Congratulations Mr. Kim, Ms. Park, I have the great honor to announce you that it will be a little boy!”

 

Joy exploded in me and I kissed passionately HyoJin. I did not have any preferences about the gender of our child. I was already so happy, for those three last months, to the idea to be father. This announcement had just ended the suspense.

After a quick control to check that everything was alright for this fetus, aged of four months, the docteur gave us an appointement in two weeks and we went out of the office with, of course, a picture of the scan.

 

“Sungyeol will be happy to see his nephew.” My fiancee said, on the way back to the car.

 

“More than happy you mean! He will have an overdose of happiness. It's already his birthday tonight, if you show him this picture, he won't calm down anymore for at least three weeks.” I made fun gently of my friend.

 

“Yes, you're right. But it will be his most beautiful gift.”

 

“That's true.”

 

Tonight, we would celebrate Yeol's birthday with the team and the family. There would be a lot of people in the restaurant but the chef was used to it and with times, he ended by booking a part of the room, just for us. Indeed, this korean barbecue restaurant was the favorite of the team then we went there for each member's birthday.

Arrived at my black 4x4, I gallantly opened the door for HyoJin and after being sur that she was comfotably installed, I took my place behind the wheel.

 

“We should find now a name for our little boy. And set his room too and we can't forget to make a little party for his birthday!” My love exclaimed, already so excited.

 

I laughed at her reaction and started the vehicle. Getting out of the parking, I saw a crowd at the foot of the building next to the gynecologue's office. A bad feeling tugged in my stomach and I had to go and see what was happening. I parked the car on a side and get out of it.

 

“Wait for me a little while, honey. I'll be right back.” I informed my fiancee.

 

She smiled at me and I headed to the crowd. Getting a little bit closer, I noticed that everybody had their eyes turned to the sky. I did it too and I caught a sight that froze me with terror. Standing on the edge of the roof, a woman was looking at the ground desperetly, ready to jump into the death's arms. Without reflecting more, I rushed in the building and went up four stairs by four leading to the rooftop. While running, I automatically took my phone out in order to prevent Sungjong. He would inform the team.

 

 

~°~°~ Woohyun~°~°~

 

The ringing of my phone pulled me out of my sweet dream. I reached out my arm to the nightstand and d to find the device, my head still deeply buried in the pillow. After a few seconds of blind searching, I finally picked up:

 

“Hello?” I asked, still sleepy.

 

Good morning Hyunie! You're still not awake?”

 

“SunHee, hello my heart. Why do you call me so early?”

 

Early? It's 2pm!”

 

“Are you serious?!”

 

I jumped out of my bed and looked for my alarm clock. Indeed, it was already 2pm.

 

I bet that you just jumped out of the bed.”

 

SunHee's laughter resounded through the handset and filled my room with its soft warmth. How much I loved this sound! My SunHee, my girlfriend for two years now, the girl I loved the most. She was my sunshine, she was my life. The love that I had for her was indescriptible, I loved her to infinity.

 

I know it's your day off, Hyunie, but I remind you that you still have to buy Sungyeol's gift. I prepared a meal for you that I let in the fridge. It will be a thing that you don't have to do.”

 

“Thank you sweetheart, I don't know what I would do without you.”

 

Nothing!”

 

“You didn't have to give me this answer.”

 

She laughed again and my heart flew off of my chest. Yeah, I was madly in love with her.

 

Okay, I have to go! I just wanted to make sur that you didn't forget Sungyeol's birthday.”

 

“Don't worry, I never forget those kind of things!”

 

Yeah sur, that's why you slept until now.”

 

“Are you done making fun of me?”

 

I love you too, Hyunie! See you tonight!”

 

And she hung up even before I could say something back. But I did not mind, she was always like this.

I put my phone on the commode, chose some clothes in my wardrobe and headed to the bathroom for my morning routine. After my shower and changing into my day clothes, I took my phone again and went to my little kitchen in order to eat what SunHee had made for me. While enjoying my meal, I wrote a quick text message for Yeol wishing him a happy birthday before finishing my plate quietly. It was true that I liked people's compagny but a little bit of an appeased silence sometimes did not hurt anyone. My lunch swallowed, I cleaned the dishes and prepared to go out when my phone rang. I was surprised to see that it was Sungjong who was calling me.

 

“Hey Jongie! What can I do for you?”

 

Hyung! Joined us behind Seoul Hospital, at the gynecology building!”

 

“I'm on my way!”

 

Even if it was my day off, if Sungjong would call, I was ready to go anywhere for him. Jongie was really smart and he perfectly knew who to contact in an emergency case. I believed that if he called me on the field, it meant that something bad was happening.

Ten minutes later, I was then in front of the gynecology's services. Getting off of my moto, I saw Myungsoo running towards me.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Hey L! What is happenning here?”

 

“Sunggyu-hyung is on the roof for five minutes. A woman is trying to end her life.”

 

“Is it not the firemen and the police that they should call? Why are we here?”

 

“Gyu-hyung was the first one here and he called Jong. We think that you're the best to know what to do.”

 

While talking, we had headed to the van where Dongwoo-hyung, Hoya, Sungyeol and Sungjong were standing.

 

“Hey guys!” I greeted them.

 

“Hyung! Thanks for coming.”

 

“That's nothing Jongie. So any news?”

 

“Gyu-hyung is seemingly still trying to convince this woman to get down of the edge of the roof. I had a visual with the camera but the view angle isn't great.” Sungjong explained to me.

 

“Okay. You called the firemen too as I can see.”

 

“Yes, they are ready if something bad happens.”

 

“That's great.”

 

As I was thinking about what else we could do, I saw with horror that Sunggyu just climbed on the roof's edge too. About what was he thinking?

 

“He is completely insane, this careless jerk!” Myungsoo exclaimed.

 

He barely had the time to finish cursing that he was already rushing in the building. He was surely going to the highest floor. Sungyeol followed just behind him. Dongwoo was about to go to their pursuit too but I held him back.

 

“Woo! It's gonna be alright, I need you to stay with the firemen in case we have to share our action plans.”

 

Dongwoo-hyung seemed to hesitate a little but he ended by nodding and went to the fire service's troops. Hoya and Sungjong starred at me, waiting for orders.

 

“Sungjong, keep an eye on what is happening up there. I'm going up with Hoya.”

 

They both agreed with me and I ran to the stairs, Hoya behind me. While we were climbing, my teammate asked me a question which stopped me from my steps.

 

“Tell me Nam, why Myungsoo reacted so strongly? I mean, it's true that it surprised me to see the boss on the edge but he knows what he is doing, right? L didn't have to swear about him.”

 

I smiled and take my ascension back.

 

“It's true that Myungsoo wouldn't react like that with the others. He is like that because of what happened in their childhood, L's and Gyu's childhood.”

 

 

~°~°~ Flashback~°~°~

 

The two Kim's families had always been close because both of them were living in the same neighborhood. Kim Myungsoo had known Kim Sunggyu from his birth. The oldest had continually taken care of the younger. They loved each other as if they were brothers.

When Myungsoo was five years old, his family had discovered that he has hyperthymesia. A memory trouble which damned the patient to remind every little details of his everydays. Since this discovery, the young Kim had felt way too different from the other kids of his age and had then withdrawn into himself. This had implied some moking and hostil reactions against him but Sunggyu had always been there to protect him. Never had he let him alone. Kim Sunggyu loved Kim Myungsoo as the brother that he had never had and he was able to do anything in order to protect his heart brother.

 

A summer day, as the two boys were seven and eleven years old, the two families had organised a picnic in the wide parc, near their houses, as every summer beginnings. Everything was alright, their lives were quiet and filled with happiness. Until this day.

At the end of the afternoon, the adults had decided to go back home and to finish the evening at one or the other's place. While walking to their district, Ms Kim, Myungsoo's mother, had suddenly remembered that she had an important letter to send. All the little group had then headed to the post office, being just on the other side of the road. Arrived in the office, Myungsoo's parents had taken place in the line while Sunggyu's parents had sat on the couch, provided for the clients. The two young boys, lost in their world of super-heroes saving the earth from the yellow envelopes, were running between the waiting line and the leather benches.

When Mr and Ms Kim had finally reached the desk, everything had happened so fast. Myungsoo had rushed to his parents to hide, orders from captain Sunggyu. The last one had been called by his mom, telling him to not running everywhere, even if there were not much people in the office. Then a man, all dressed and masked in black, had suddenly entered in the post. A gun shot to the ceiling had dived the room in a agonizing darkness. The loud sound of the weapon was still echoing in the head of all the present people. The order to lay on the ground was even so heard.

After the panic, silence had taken place. The burglar had gone to the desk where Myungsoo and his parents were and had instructed to the employee to empty the cash register. Waiting to collect the money, the criminal had scanned the different people around him. He had then noticed little Myungsoo starring at him with strange eyes. The fear was not in them. Neither the horror. And neither the sadness or the distress. Nothing, those eyes were looking at him with simply curiosity and they almost broke deeply through his soul, trying to read his every little moves. That had completely shaken him and that was why he had lost his cold blood.

 

What are you looking at, brat! Don't stare at me like that!”

 

He had so pointed his gun to the kid, wanting to see fright in his eyes. But his father had interfered and had made a shield with his own body.

 

Don't hurt him, please! He is only a little boy.”

 

Little boy or not, you should teach him to fear me!”

 

A loud sound, terror screams, a floor teinted by red and a body without life. Nothing was sane anymore. Nothing was under control. Ms Kim had tightened her embrace around her son. The dread had ingulfed her and her deafening sobs never ended. Myungsoo was emprisonned in his mother's arms, his eyes going from his father's cold corpse to the criminal. Eyes wide opened, dumbfounded.

 

Shut all the up! And you, stop crying so hard!”

 

The murderer could yell as much as he wanted, nothing had calmed Ms Kim's cries down. Nothing, except a gun shot. A second shot, a second body laying on the marble now too red.

When Myungsoo had not felt the warm and comforting arms of his mother around him anymore, his hands had started to shake. All of his being had done the same and his heart had crushed to the point where he had suffocated. In front of him, his parents inert corpses were as white as the moon. The scarlet blood had formed a pool aroud him. He could feel the hot liquid on his skin. The empty eyes of Mr and Ms Kim had given him anger chills. Myungsoo had felt a lot of emotions at this moment but never the fear had immerged him. So, when he had faced the gun, he had looked over the barrel. He had starred with wrath his parents murderer's eyes. If only he could catch this weapon and point it on this man. If only he could kill him. Hate had consummed the shattered heart of little Myungsoo.

As the burglar was about to fire Myungsoo, Sunggyu had appeared from nowhere and had jumped on the armed man. A third shot had resounded in the office. The young boy of seven years old had looked away from the criminal to find his heart brother, injured at the shoulder. More red, more blood. He had felt comforting arms surrounding him but he had quickly escaped them. This man had killed his parents and had just mutilated Sunggyu. Things had gone too far. He would never let this monster hurt anyone else.

So he had stood up and in a jump, taking advantage of the burglar's surprise, had rushed on the gun and had ripped it out of those murders hand. He had then pointed it without any dread to the criminal's head. This man would pay for his actions, this man had to die. And as he was ready to pull the trigger, Sunggyu, who had positionned himself in front of him and who had made him lower the weapon, had taken him in a long embrace. In those arms, Myungsoo felt safe, he felt appeased.

 

Don't do this, Soo. Killing will change nothing. It's gonna be alright now, I'm here. I will always be here to protect you.”

 

Myungsoo had noticed at that time that the police had handcuffed and had brought the criminal away. His parents corpses had been coated with a white sheet and the other hostages had left the building. But what caught him the most was his hyung's calm voice. No tear, no scream, no tremble. Nothing. Sunggyu had hold him firmly against his chest, as if he had comforted him from a simple nightmare. As if all of this was only a scene, a little bit too realistic, of an action film.

 

Hyung...”

 

Shh, it's ok. It's over.”

 

You're bleeding.”

 

I know, but it's alright. What is really matter is what I'm going to say you, so listen to me, Soo.”

 

The younger nodded and had locked his dark eyes to the oldest's one. He did not see the dread or distress or even pain. He saw there an unerring calm and an obvious seriousness.

 

You have to promise me something, Soo. Promise me that if one day you would find yourself with a weapon in your hands like today, don't think of killing the one in front of you. Always choose the option which will avoid death. Promise me that, Myungsoo.”

 

I promise, Sunggyu-hyung.”

 

Good. You're a good boy. I promise you in return that I will always protect you. Nothing will ever happen to you. Now, we will go out and you will go to the hospital with Mom and Dad. I will get in the ambulance with the nurses and we will see each other there, okay?”

 

Okay.”

 

Sunggyu had released his grip on the younger and both of them had headed to the ambulance. In the middle of this short path, Myungsoo had caught his brother's hand and had stopped him in their walk. He had then interwined their pinkies before declaring:

 

If you protect me, hyung, then I promise you that I will protect you too. I will always be by your side and as when we played the superheroes game, I will always watch your back.”

 

The oldest had smiled to him and had accepted the young black hair boy's words with a nod. Kim Sunggyu and Kim Myungsoo, after this slaughter, had promised to protect each other forever. They had also made the vow, secretly, to never let anyone live their situation again.

 

And since, every night, Myungsoo lived this day again, in its every details. And so, every morning, he remembered, over and over again, his promise: always watch his brother's back and protect him at any cost.

 

 

~°~°~ Sunggyu ~°~°~

 

After calling Sungjong, I finally arrived on the building's roof. The woman who was on the edge of death, did apparently not hear me. She was still motionless on the edge, surely inwardly debatting if she should take the last step or not.

 

“Miss, please, don't do this.” I asked her quietly, walking closer.

 

“Who are you? Let me die in peace!” She shouted at me.

 

I could see all the despair she was bearing. Her body was shaking because of her hard sobs and it was barely if she could still standing. Looking at her a little bit more, I noticed that she was only wearing a hospital dress and a slight blood trail was leading me to her.

 

“My name is Kim Sunggyu, you're bleeding, miss. Let me help you.”

 

I was just at two steps behind her, however, she did not even take the time to turn around. At this close distance, I could clearly see that her legs were shaking frightfully. I could also note that the blood was coming from between her legs. Did she just gave birth?

 

“If you want to help me so much then bring my daughter back! My little girl...so pur and pretty...Why did you take her away from me?! Why couldn't she even live some more years?! Why did she have to die even before she could live?! Why?!”

 

At the end of her speech, I realized with horror that she was even more closer to fall. Without hesitation, I climbed on the edge, by her sides and went closer to her, slowly. From the corner of me eyes, I could see the recognizable black van of the SDI and I breathed inwardly. If I needed support, I knew that I would get them.

 

“Please, miss, you lost a lot of blood and your body is exhausted. Come with me inside.”

 

“My body is not the only one who is tired. My mind and my heart are too. Just let me die.”

 

“I can't. I won't let you die.”

 

“Why not? You don't know me and you don't even know what I'm feeling!”

 

“It's true that I don't know you, neither your pain. But I have some principles. And the first one is to protect all the people who crossed my path, which is your case. So let me help you.”

 

For the first time since our exchange, she looked away from the empty space and starred at me with her eyes, shinning of tears. I dared another step to her and took her hand. She might be around thirty years old but I had the feeling that her face had gone through a thousand years of tourment.

 

“Tell me, Kim Sunggyu, do you have kids?”

 

“I will be soon father of a little boy.”

 

“It's beautiful, isn't it, this feeling to be parent?”

 

“Yes, indeed.”

 

She tightened her grip on my hand, smiled and slipped her gaze to the blue sky, eyes lost in the melancholy.

 

“I gave birht to a little girl, a few minutes ago. But I wasn't fast enough. My little girl died, choking, in me. She died even before seeing the daylight.”

 

Her tears were streaming again, merging quietly to the summer breeze.

 

“I'm so tired. Please, can you tell my husband that I'm sorry? I have been a bad wife. I wasn't able to give him a heir and today, as our daughter should have been born, she didn't even have the time to see the sun because of me. I'm so sorry. I can't face you anymore, In Tae. Neither you or your family. I don't even deserve to be a Jang. I'm really so sorry.”

 

The more she asked for forgiveness, the more she was loosing herself in exhaustion, at the point when, at the end of her apology, she ended by closing her eyes and fell in unconciousness. Her body, not standing anymore, toppled forward and I could barely catch her at her waist and pushed her on the other side of the empty space, safe, on the roof's ground. Unfortunately for me, by putting her out of the danger, I lost my balance and swooped right downwards.

My heart and my breath ceased suddenly. A weight took more and more place in my stomach and my tripe tightened a little bit more at each second passing by. As a slowmotion, I saw my arm reaching desperetly out to the edge but my fingers could only brushed the hard concret. I suffocated and cold sweat started to form in my back. I could not die. Not now! Who would be by HyoJin's sides when she would give birth? Who would protect Myungsoo? Who would stand up for the ideas and the principles of the Special Division Infinite? I could not die. I did not have the right!

 

At the moment when I thought that I did not have any other possibility to avoid my fall, a hand appeared from the roof's edge and grabbed mine firmly, just above me. The air rushed in my lungs and I felt my heart's beats, stronger than ever. My body swang slowly in the breeze. I looked up and smiled, relief remplacing distress.

 

“Soo.”

 

“Idiot! How can you smile in a situation like this one? And about what did you think for climbing on the edge?”

 

“You're still keeping your promise, always there for watching my back.”

 

“Of course! It was a promise.”

 

My smile spreaded even more and I tightened the grip on my brother's hand.

 

“If I didn't climb on the edge, the victim would fall downwards. Where is she? Is she alright, by the way?”

 

“She's fine. She just lost consciousness because of the exhaustion and the blood lost. Sungyeol brought her inside, a team is taking care of her.”

 

“Great.” I sighed.

 

“You didn't have to put yourself in danger!”

 

“I'm not in danger anymore since you're here, right?”

 

I laughed softly while Myungsoo made an exasparated face. After few seconds, he stood up slightly and tried to pull me up. But a pain pierced trough my shoulder and I let the black hair man's hand go inadvertendly. Stupid injury from my childhood. As I thought that I was really going to end on the ground, I saw with horror that Myungsoo did not hesitate a second before swooping behind me. He solidly caught with both of his hands my arm and I noticed someone grabbing his leg.

 

“Yo Boss! Seems that you like hanging like that, right?”

 

Hoya leaned a little bit and I noted that it was him who held us on firmly. Woohyun's head appeared in my sight too.

 

“Seriously Gyu! How can you be so reckless? And to say that you're Infinite's leader.”

 

Myungsoo and Hoya laughed at his comment while I sighed. A relieved sigh, mainly. I could trust them, even if I did not expect them to be here, to hold me back in my fall. They were really there. I believed in them. I believed in Infinite.

Hoya pulled us up on the roof and when I was safe, my brother and my best friend rushed to my old injury at my shoulder.

 

“Are you okay, hyung?”

 

“Does it hurt? Should I call a doctor?”

 

I laughed in front of their overflow of worry and assured them that everything was fine now. This injury which marked the bullet's impact that I had taken in order to save Myungsoo's life, fourteen years ago, was a beautiful scar. It stood for my first principle: protecting the people I loved at any cost.

 

 

~°~°~ Sungyeol ~°~°~

 

That night, Infinite team and the close family all gathered to the best korean barbecue restaurant that I had never known. There were a lot of people but as said, the more we were, the more we laughed.

My girlfriend, Jo Eun-Mi, my brother, Daeyeol and my mother were the first ones to arrive to help me arranging the corner of the room that we booked. Sungjong and his grandparents did not take long to come after that. After setting the tables and the chairs correctly, we all gathered near the drinks buffet and were talking cheerfully about everything and anything. Hoya-hyung, Woohyun-hyung along with SunHee, his girlfriend, arrived then. And the ambiance started slowly to pep up. After that, Dongwoo-hyung and his fiancee, Choi Mi-Young, made their entrance while I was telling with fervor about the intervention that Sunggyu-hyung had made this afternoon. Mi-Young-noona was in wheelchair because of an incident which had happened two years ago but it did absolutly not stop her to emit her cheerfulness wherever she went.

While I was finishing to describe how the Boss had saved the patient today to Jongie's grandparents, the lights suddenly turned off. Surprised, I turned around in order to go to speak to the restaurant's chef but the sight in front of me was unexpected and certainly the most beautiful one that I had never seen. My two bestfriends, Sungjong and Myungsoo, and Eun-Mi were holding a huge cake with twenty-four wonderful candles on it. All of the other guests, including Kim family who apparently just arrived, were around the confectionery and were singing “happy birthday” to me. My mom hugged me and whispered to me how much she was proud of me and loved me. I was blissfully happy. My family and my friends were all there and they were smiling with all of their heart. I loved them so much and I would cherish them for the rest of my life.

 

Dad, wherever you are now, one day, I will find you and you will be a part of this picture too, at Mom and Daeyeol's side. I promise you.”

 


 

And here we are with a new chapter and a new past and let's celebrate Sungyeol's brithday!!! Happy Birthday Yeollie!! <3 

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, let me know about your opinions and feelings about the story. The next chapters will be about my favorite part, I loved writing them and I hope you will love reading them^^ I will post them as soon as possible ;) 

By the way, welcome to my new subscribers!!! I never expected so much people following this story and I'm really happy to have all of by my side. I will work harder for you~ 
Thank you to all of you for subscribing, commenting, reading or just passing by. I'm so glad to be able to share this fiction with you <3 

And just a random question, will one of you be at London concert? Maybe I will go there so hope to meet you very soon ;D 

Love you all~
<3