Chapter 2: A new family

Special Division Infinite

 

Monday, 1st June 2015, 2pm, Special Division Infinite's headquarters, training field.

 

Show us what you can do, Hoya!”

 

 

~°~°~ Howon ~°~°~

 

When the timer started, I run to the beginning of the course which was waiting for me. This time I wore a military pants and a black t-shirt protected by a bulletproof vest. In addition of all of that, I carried an arsenal which were composed by many kind of grenades, two daggers, a shotgun, a 9mm and their munitions.

Earlier in the day, after coming back to the SDI's headquarters, we had eaten then Sunggyu had brought me to the locker-room where I could change my clothes and take the weapons I needed. I was then lead to this huge training field where all of obstacles which an agent should be able to go through with all his equipment on him were.

My only goal was to finish this course as fast as I could, so just after my starting sprint, I jump on the net. This mass of ropes, tangled to each other, was horizontally hung. I could see in front of me what was waiting for me next: a wall to clamber, a narrow pipe to crawl through, a rope to climb along and finally several tires to cross. A shot stall with around ten targets was to envisage then and at the end, the Killing House. An abandonned house where a part of the team would wait for me, playing the ennemy role. I would have to knock them down in order to save Myungsoo who had accepted to play the hostage.

I arrived quickly and without any problems in the metallic pipe. My more than good training and my physical condition would allow me to get the wooden house easily and in an acceptable timing for an elit. What worried me the most was what would happen then. It was true that I cooperated with the team this morning and Sungjong had given me some informations about the members but with my actual knowledge about them, I was still not able to predict their every move.

 

Lee Sungjong, going by Jong-ah, was the programmer and the informatic specialist of the team. It was him who coordinated my fitness test, right now, from the computer room, then it was one person less in the house.

Kim Myungsoo or L, the “victim” in the simulation. Having an absolutly perfect memory about his everyday, I was glad that he was not with the ennemy. He had been with me all the morning so he would be able, with a lot of facility, to predict my move. According to what I had seen during the mission, he was a really qualified long distance shooter and had an extraordinary precision. He had hurt the suspect to the leg with only one shot, avoiding at the same occasion a mortal injury. I did not know his other skills but he was on my side for today then I did not care more about him.

At the end of the intervention, this morning, I had immediately noted that Lee Sungyeol, called as Yeol too, was a peerless sniper. He had shot the accomplice's foot, preventing him to attack us in our back or to escape. I had readily understood that he was a professionnal hacker after what he had done to my gps. I should be careful about the high spots around the house when I would reach it.

The last three people of the team were the ones that I had to beware the most. Jang Dongwoo, having the code name Woo, was really well known for his attack speed. His reputation was already extended in all the country and it was an honor for me to be in the same unit as him. But right now, I was worried about how I could immobilize him. I would have to stay on my guards, to be quiet and to try to be faster than him. I did not know another way to stop him.

There was Nam Woohyun too, named Nam on the field, who would cause me some troubles. I had noticed that he was really good in real situations. Being an expert in barehand fighting, he was also the right hand of the leader which meant that he should manage pretty well with his other skills. He knew how to reflect with a cold head in an emmergency situation then I did not know how he would attack me later. If we were confronted in a one against one, maybe I could use my strength to stop him but I was sur of nothing.

And finally, Kim Sunggyu, the Boss. My first impression of him had suited him well. Being a tactician and a prodigous leader, I had heard that he was able to get out of any kind of situation with an incredible cold blood and with a minimal of fallen, if not with none. I had not seen him in action this morning but if he was ranking as a commander, it was not nothing. I really dreaded facing him and his intimidating aura which could be revealed as stifling.

 

After an almost perfect score at the shot stall, I did not wait one more second before running to the last test. The adrenaline went up quickly in me when I reached the bearing of the old residence and then I swallowed hard the fear which took my tripe. A long breath passed through my lips, so I calmed down my excited pulse. I looked around me, no high hiden place or tree. I deducted that everyone was inside. Leaning against the door, I heard different voices rising.

 

“How long do you think that he will stand before being kicking by one of us?”

 

“Two minutes! He won't pass me.”

 

“Hahaha, thanks Yeol for your arrogance.”

 

“Whenever you want Nam!”

 

A whisper scolded the two friends and the silence fell back. I smiled. So, they thought that I would not survive more than two minutes? I was hurt, they underestimated me.

I got up and faced the door. I gave a strong hit and it crashed under my feet. At the end of the long and dusty hall, I saw Woo running to me. When I got ready to shoot with my 9mm, I dodged narrowly a shot from the first floor. Yeol was positioned there, just in my line of sight. I barely had the time to get on my feet again as Woo attacked me in a barehand fight. He was indeed really fast but I felt that it was not his maximal speed. He was disadvantaged by this reduced hall. A new shot grazed near my ear when I was struggling with my ennemy. Yeol was really good as a sniper, he almost had me while his team mate was on me.

A new push of adrenaline poured in my veins and I hit Woo in the stomach which make him felt against the wall, on the left. Yeol opened the fire again and I barely avoid it again. I nevertheless felt a burn on my arm, it was near. While Woo was dizzy, I picked up my 9mm and shot my two opponents. Two less.

 

I breathed in order to calm my nerves when I heard a distress call from the room at the end of the hall, on the right. I rushed there without thinking and found myself facing Myungsoo, sitting on a chair, and Sunggyu on his left, pointing his gun on the hostage, ready to shoot. I was ready to open the fire too.

 

“Drop your weapon” I said coldly.

 

“It's you who should drop your weapon.” A voice behind me whispered.

 

I felt the contact of a cold metal against my throat while Sunggyu smiled archly. I scolded myself angrily because of my stupidity and let my gun down. I was so focused on Myungsoo's call that I forgot Nam.

 

“First rule, always thinking twice before moving in a room.” Sunggyu taunted me.

 

“So, how will you get out of there now?” Nam scoffed against my ear, from behind.

 

Cold sweat ran along my back but I did not allow myself to panic. I could not give up now, not so close to the goal.

 

“You just have to say that you give up and I will let you go, Hoya.” The blackhair man provoked me.

 

“Don't even hope me to say these words, Nam.” I confronted him.

 

He tightened his grip around my neck but that did not stop me for working on a way to get out of this situation.

 

“You're aware that if you move, I won't hesitate to shoot him.” Sunggyu warned me, his gun against Myungsoo's temple.

 

Ignoring his words, a moching smile appeared on my lips. I found a way.

Examining the room, and particularly the floor, I noticed that Sunggyu was standing on the same old wooden lath as me. It was a great chance that I got there. I put my hands on Woohyun's arm which was around my neck and grabed strongly. In the same time, I lifted my right leg and gave a big but still controled kick against the board on wich Sunggyu and I were. The lath rose up, just under the leader's feet then he lost his balance. I took advantage of the surprise of the three people in the room to overbalanced Nam above my shoulder. He landed on the parquet in a loud noise and a dusty cloud. I bounced on my gun which was on the floor, hurriedly shot him and jumped back on my feet, the weapon pointed on Sunggyu. He got the time to recover from the surprise and to get up too, his gun in my direction.

We stayed like that a minute or more. The atmosphere was heavier and the pressure rose up at its paroxysm. As I had predicted, the energy from the Boss was incredibly terrifying when we were in front of his canon and the air was suffocating. I could not give up, no way that I would. So when my hand shaked slightly, I tightened my grip around the 9mm. I would not let it go now.

When I expected Sunggyu opening the fire, he put down his weapon and laughed all his heart out. Woohyun and Myungsoo joined him quickly and I heard Dongwoo and Sungyeol doing it too from the hall. Jong-ah's voice resounded in the house, saying that the training was over and that the results would be out when we would return in the common area. I lowered my arm, sighed loudly and smiled. I survived.

 

“Nice job, Hoya. Let's see your results with Jong-ah.” Sunggyu suggested after calming himself down.

 

“It was impressive, your last action! I didn't expect that!” Woohyun felicited me.

 

I gave him my hand to help him getting up and he took it with a big smile. Myungsoo got up from his chair and came to give me a pat on my shoulder.

 

“Well done.” He sais simply said.

 

I smiled even more and ruffled his hair.

 

“You played well the hostage role too.” I told him.

 

The laughter resounded even louder when Dongwoo and Sungyeol came into the room. They both had green impacts on their bulletproof vests, resulting of my shots.

 

“You did it pretty well in the hall! I didn't think that you would dodge so well my shots! I underestimated you!”

 

“And you rivalled with my attack speed! Even if I have to admit it, you could put less power in your knee's kick, you knocked me out.”

 

“I'm sorry Dongwoo-hyung, I didn't want to hurt you, I don't know what happened to me.”

 

“Oh, don't worry! I'm perfectly fine, I just didn't expect that you would put so much strength.”

 

“I will be more careful about my force next time.”

 

I apologized one last time before heading to the principal building with all the team, where Sungjong surely was waiting for us.

 

Getting out of the locker-room, Sungjong was waiting for us, sitting in one of the soft couch of the break room. When he saw us entering, he got up and went to Sunggyu with a big smile.

 

“Hyung, I think that you might want to see the results before showing them to Howon-hyung.” He announced.

 

“Sur, let's do it in my office. Wooyhun, you come too.”

 

“Coming!”

 

The three young men headed then to a room at the end of the hall.

 

“I'm gonna take some water bottles!” Dongwoo stated, going back to the locker-room.

 

Sungyeol invited me to take place beside him on one of the long leather seat. Myungsoo was already comfortably rested against the armrest, eyes closed and breath deep and peaceful.

 

“He didn't have his eight sleeping hours. We got an emmergency intervention last night at 2am and I suppose that this morning Jongie might wake him up by force.” He explained with a low voice, sniggering.

 

I laughed quietly at his comment and then let the place to the silence. A light snoring echoed in the room and Sungyeol chuckled again. The ambiance was soothing and reassuring. I felt good there. I could almost think that I was home, with my brothers beside me. It was true that this team was special but out of the field, they were just ordinary young men. Thinking about the members, I noticed suddenly that they all should be around my age and that surprised me that an elit unit like this one was only composed by people around twenty. Easing my curiosity, I asked the tall blackhair man.

 

“Tell me Sungyeol-ah, Sungjong-ah seems to be really young to be a part of an elit unit, how old is he?”

 

“He is twenty-one years old. He is a pur genius then when Myungsoo recommanded him to be a part of the SDI, Sunggyu didn't hesitate a second.”

 

“A genius?”

 

“Yeah, I heard that he was already really clever when he was only seven. He was this kind of whizz kid who had the best marks at school and who was able to understand the informatic language at this young age. After his parents death, at his thirteen, he locked himself in this virtual world during weeks before Myungsoo came and got him out. His knowledge about informatic is infinite from then.”

 

“Impressive!” I exclamed, amazed.

 

“It is! But the most unbelivable is that me, being a hacker specialist, I can only bow in front of him whereas I had a complete and perfect formation unlike him who only just finished his highschool years. He would be able to download all the governemental informations only with his phone if he wanted to.”

 

“Wow, that's … scary.”

 

“Yup. But he has a great sense of justice. I know that he won't do something like that.”

 

“You seems to know him well.”

 

“I only know him from Infinite's debut, then for two years so I don't know more about his past but what I can say is that all these events in his life lead him to who he is today and I'm glad to have him by my sides in everyday life and during the missions.”

 

A tender smile took place on his face despite that his eyes were still lost in the nothingness.

 

“It's the past that made us who we are now. We should never forget it in order to go on.” I quoted, looking to the white ceiling.

 

“That's what I say to myself every morning in front of the mirror to not give up.” He whispered, his smile becoming embittered.

 

“What brought a so bright and young man like you in a world like this one?” I tried “If I saw you in the streets, I would think that you're a mc.”

 

His laugh warmly fulled the room.

 

“That would be an interesting job, indeed. But for nothing in the world I will give up on this one. And even less now that I'm a part of Infinite. I really need to find someone then no way that I will give up on my goal.” He explained with a sad smile and his eyes lost in the past again.

 

 

~°~°~ Flashback ~°~°~

 

In a wide residence's garden, a father and his two sons were in the middle of a basketball match. The father, crouched in the middle of the field, got ready to throw the ball. His youngest son who was nine, was jumping impatiently on his spot, ready to run to the last platform in order to get a point. He was shouting at the same time some encouraging words to his brother. This one, being older than a year, was trying to focus the better he could, the swingle behind him, ready to hit the ball as far as he could. After some more seconds of suspense, their father had got up and had taken the launched position.

 

And finally, Mr. Lee throws the ball to Lee Sungyeol and Sungyeol hits it with power! And the ball flies through the field! Lee Daeyeol doesn't miss this opportunnity to score another point for the team! And the ball is still flying, nothing can stop it anymore!”

 

A broken glass had been heard, cutting the enthousiastic comment of Mr. Lee.

 

And it's a home-rune … the ball has just broken my office's window.”

 

Daeyeol had burst into laughter in front of his father's decomposed face while Sungyeol, panicked, had started to apologize, tears already on the edge of his eyes.

 

I'm so sorry Daddy! I didn't want to break the window! I'm so sorry, sorry, sorry!”

 

His father had quickly changed his expression and had tenderly taken him in his arms.

 

Don't worry my big boy, everything is alright. I'm even proud of you! You hit realy well the ball!”

 

And me, did you see how I scored the last point?”

 

Yes, it was amazing, you ran fast, my little boy!”

 

He had taken his two sons in his arms and had lifted them in the air. They had twirled like that, for a time, their laughter resounding in all the domain. The sun rays led their skin while the loving breeze made their black hair fly. Eyes closed, the three of them had enjoyed this precious moment. It had been with a light heart that they had lain down, side by side, on the green grass. Still sniggering, they had wiped their joy tears which were on the edge of their eyes. Then a sweet voice had captured all of their attention from the terrace.

 

Snack's ready boys! Come and eat Mom's apple pie!”

 

Mom made an apple pie! Come on hyung! The last one to the table lost!”

 

And the two brothers had rushed to their mother who laughed gently and set the table at the same time. When Mr. Lee got ready to join his family, his phone which was in his pants back pocket, had rung.

 

Here Lee.”

 

(...)”

 

What? How could you let something like that happen?”

 

(...)”

 

I don't even want to hear your apologizes! Deal with that as fast as possible. If they dare to come to my house, I will take care of them myself. I will call you back later.”

 

He had furiously hung up. His family was in danger now and he did not want to involve his lovely wife and his two boys, however it was, in his dark business. He had to stay on his heels and he had to protect these people who meant so much to him. His thoughts were interrupted by his sons exclamations. He had smiled in front of this view and had sworn to never let anyone stain his two littles boys innocence.

The night coming, after they had eaten well and watched a film all together, Mr. Lee had sat in the seat between his two sons beds. He had told them about the story of this bat man who had given up on the light in order to protect the people he loved. A shadow's hero. While he was even not at the middle of the story, he had noticed that his two sons were already deeply asleeped. So he had got up, had fondly kissed Sungyeol then Daeyeol, had turned the little light on the bed table off and had silently stepped out of the room. He had finden his wife in the hall and had taken her in his arms. She had slightly laughed and had stated:

 

You will have to repare your office's window.”

 

I will take care of that tomorrow morning, don't worry my dear.”

 

Tomorrow? Have you forget that you promised the boys that you would take them in an excursion in the mountains tomorrow?” She had scolded him.

 

Oh yeah! Right! I'm going to pack things in the car then.”

 

Now?”

 

Yeah, then we won't be stressed tomorrow morning” He had told her with a wink.

 

He had passionately kissed her and had let her at the door of their common room in order to head to the ground floor. When he passed near the front door, someone had knocked. First surprised that somebody dared coming to bother his family at this late time of the night, he had quickly recomposed himself and had shown his darkest face while opening. He had expected that. These people from the ennemy gang had not back off in front of the Lee's name, leader of one of the most powerful clan ruling the city. If these people were not scared of him, then he would change their mind this night.

 

A slamming door sound had woken Sungyeol up. When his eyes had got used to the darkness, he had noticed that Daeyeol was still deeply asleeped. Being curious, he had got up and had gone out in the cold hall. Passing by his parents room, he had noted that only his mother was lying in the large bed. Thinking that his father might be in his office, he had entered there but had only seen the big window, still broken. So he had turned around and having the intention to go back to sleep, he had headed back to his room. However, the subdued light of the front hall had captured his sight then he had changed his way and had gone down the big white marble stairs. He had thus caught a sight of his father cleaning the doorknob of the high door with a red rag.

 

Dad? What are you doing?”

 

Oh Sungyeol, my big boy! You should be sleeping.”

 

A door slammed and it woke me up.”

 

Oh sorry, I closed it with a little bit to much force I guess.”

 

You were outside? What did you do?”

 

Nothing, everything will be alright now. Go back to sleep.”

 

Ok, see you tomorrow Dad. Oh yeah, you didn't forget that we will go to the mountains tomorrow, did you?”

 

No I didn't, my big boy. But I think that we will have to cancel it.”

 

Why?”

 

His father had kneeled down and had taken him by the shoulders.

 

I have to go somewhere to deal with something a little while then you will be the man of the house. You have to watch on your mum and your brother, alright? Can you do that for me?”

 

Yeah I think so. But where are you going?”

 

You don't have to know that. Just promise me that whatever happen, your mum and Daeyeol's lives are the most important. Promise me that, Sungyeol.”

 

I promise, Dad.”

 

Good, I'm really proud of you, my big boy. Now, go back to sleep and don't look behind you, understood?”

 

Okay, I love you Dad!”

 

Sungyeol had thrown himself in his father's arms and had hugged him thightly. Mr. Lee had fondly his back and then had come apart his son. He had kissed him on his forehead and had pushed him to the stairs way. The little boy had obeyed his father and had not looked back. He had not seen the only salty pearl which had escaped from Mr. Lee's eye.

 

The next morning, only Mrs. Lee and her two sons were there for the breakfast. No one had ever taken the fourth place at the table. Day by day, week by week, month after month and year after year, no one had ever fixed the broken window. A hole was in the middle of the glass as the empty which Mr. Lee had left behind him. After highschool, Sungyeol had sworn to himself that he would find his father one day and the only way he had was to become an agent.

 

 

~°~°~ Howon ~°~°~

 

A silence took place after Sungyeol telling me his story. He had so much weight on his shoulders since his father had left. I pulled him in my arms and he breathed all of his frustration out.

 

“Thanks for listening to me, Howon-hyung. It feels good to talk sometimes.” He entrusted with a bright smile again.

 

“It was nothing. You can count on me to help you in your research and you can count on the others too. You're a team, you can help each other to share the burden on your shoulders. Don't ever forget that you're not alone.” I reassured him.

 

“Yes, you're right. Thanks again.”

 

“I will help you too in your research if you want to.”

 

“Me too!”

 

We turned around, surprised, to the voices and we saw Dongwoo-hyung at the door and Myungsoo, watching us with his sharping eyes from the other side of the couch. Sungyeol's smile stretched even much more, showing now all of his teeth.

 

“Thank you guys! You're the best!”

 

Dongwoo took a place beside me and put the water bottles on the glass table, in front of us.

 

“And you Howon-ah, what brought you here?” He asked me, looking at me.

 

I was about to answer when Sunggyu-hyung, Woohyun and Sungjong came in the room. They sat down on the seconde long leather couch, at Myungsoo's left. The nervosity grew up inside of me. Did I pass even if I didn't really save L? Was I fast enough? If I failed, what would I do? Surprisingly, the youngest of the three merrily announced to me:

 

“Howon-hyung, you brilliantly passed the admission test! Congratulations!”

 

Everyone let their joy explode and Sungyeol and Dongwoo-hyung even hugged me. The relief took over my body and I let myself go in their embraces. When the calm came back, I asked to the little genius:

 

“How long did I take?”

 

“You made a total of twelve minutes and twenty-seven seconds. You finished the physical cours in not even three minutes. It's a new record! Sunggyu-hyung who had the best time did it in three minutes and fifteen seconds. Then at the shot stall, you did an average score, at the same level as Sunggyu-hyung and Woohyun-hyung. And finally, the Killing House where you stayed around seven minutes. Even if you didn't really save the hostage, Sunggyu-hyung considered that you perfectly passed the test. You succeed in putting Dongwoo-hyung down, you avoided Sungyeol-hyung's accurate shots and you even took Woohyun-hyung and Sunggyu-hyung by surprise. So we consider that you amply have the abilities to join the team!” Sungjong exposed, consulting his electronic tablet.

 

Sunggyu got up from his place and faced me. He took a black velvet box out of his pocket and handed it to me. I looked at him, startled, before standing up and picking it. I gently opened the case and discovered a golden badge. The emblem was a Möbius band, incrusted in the plate. Just under it, was written in black “SD: Infinite”. I brushed softly the ensign with my thumb and smiled with all of my teeth. The happiness and the pride grew up inside of me. I did it! Raising my eyes, I saw the outstretched hand of Sunggyu.

 

“Lee Howon, welcome in the Special Division Infinite, welcome to the family.” He announced to me with pleasure.

 


Hello guys!! Happy summer and as promised, here was the second chapter, I hope you enjoyed it ^^

And here we are, with Infinite finally completed. Things will be more complicated later but for now, what do you expect for their first mission all together? 
I know it's a little bit soon to ask but jus by curiosity, who is your favorite character so far? (I will surely ask you that again when you will discover all the members past, we will see if you will still have the same opinion ;) ) 

Thank you so much to all of you who read until here, thank you for all the subscribings and thank you for the comments. It's always a pleasure for me to know about your feeling and opinions then feel free to tell me about it ;) 

I will see you soon in the third chapter ;D 

Love you all~~
<3