Chapter One.

Hollow Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey sis! if you don’t hurry we won’t have enough time for you to map out the school before class!” Sookyu yelled from the downstairs living room, tidying up her new school uniform that she found wrinkled in her unpacked moving box.

 

“I’m coming sis! Hold on, I don’t have my contacts in!” Soobin hollered back as she finished shaving a brown contact lense into her eyes. She blinked a few times until she felt that both were in. She stood up and walked around the room counting her steps to where she placed her belongings so she wouldn’t forget.

 

Carefully making her way downstairs, she turned quickly and hit the wall with her shoulder. She grabbed onto her shoulder and stomped on her foot, “God dang it Soobin! 13 steps, not 12. Remember!!” She cursed herself; hitting her head a few times in the process.

 

“Yah~ Don’t worry about that. This is a new house, you’re not use to it yet! It’s more important to remember the school grounds and remember where everything is!” her sister encouraged her. Soobin smiled a bit, “You’re right. Thanks sis!”.

 

Sookyu frowned, “Are you sure you don’t want your walking stick? It would be helpful for you and everyone would make sure to get out of your way while you walk”. Soobin frowned as she walked to the front to place on her shoes, “I don’t want to be known as the “Blind girl” at school. I don’t want people giving me special treatments because I can’t see!”.

 

Sookyu frowned and sighed. There was no way in getting her sister to agree with her. She had gone through so much to the point where she started wearing colored contacts to hide her white irises so people wouldn’t know she was blind even if she wasn’t holding her walking stick.

 

“Let’s go~” Sookyu stated and the two girls went off to their new high school in hopes that this would be the last time they would have to change schools.



 

Upon arriving at the school, Soobin heard her sister gasp. She turned her head and looked in the direction of her sister, “What?” she questioned. “This school is so big Soobinnie~” she muttered.

 

Soobin lowered her head and sighed. It was hard enough for her to remember the amount of steps it was to her new house’s bathroom, but now a school that is several times the size of her house?

 

“Perhaps we should map out the school during the lunch break or after school?” Sookyu stammered a bit worried about her younger sister. “You won’t leave me alone…. will you?” Soobin muttered quietly, growing scared now that she realized that things would be a bit different now that she is at a bigger school. She was worried about falling, running into things, being ridiculed by her classmates.

 

“I’ll take you to each class and we’ll eat lunch together, okay?” Sookyu cheered and grabbed onto her younger sister's hand and began to walk into the school grounds.


 

Sookyu brought Soobin close to her side once they intertwined in the flow of the other students. Sookyu quickly started to look around for an administration office, but couldn’t find one. She pulled her sister off to an empty space on the side.

 

“It’s incredibly packed in here. It’s hard to see anything with all these tall boys” Sookyu explained to her sister for the reason why they stopped walking. “I figured it was quite packed, it’s really noisy in here” Soobin raised her voice over the other students chattering.  

 

“Do you mind being a little late to class? I rather wait for the hallways to clear up a bit so I can find things easier” Sookyu insisted. Soobin shrugged her shoulders, “I don’t mind. Everyone gives slack to the new students”.

 

“Great!” her sister chirped.


 

The two waited about 15 minutes before the hallways started to clear up, Sookyu took Soobin by her hand and began to walk down the hallways looking for an administrator's office.

 

“Excuse me sir, where can we find the main office? We’re new here.” Sookyu stopped a man who gave off a teacher vibe. Soobin turned her head as if trying to ‘pretend’ to pay attention to the man in order to show respect to him.

 

“Aw. If you go down the hallway right there and take a left. It will be the third door on the right. Also, welcome to Kyunghee high.” he explained and set off to his classroom.

 

“You heard him sis, lets go” Sookyu smiled and began to walk off. “Umm… sis…. I don’t even know which way you’re facing.” she hollered.

 

Sookyu laughed awkwardly and went back to guide her sister.

 

When they reached the office, Sookyu greeted a lady at the desk. Soobin bowed as well.

 

“Hello. We’re the Kim sisters. Our father called about our transfer here earlier this morning” Sookyu stated nervously. “Aw yes. We got the call.” she said as she flipped through some pages, “I’m assuming your sister there is the one with the seeing disability” she said as she looked up from the papers in her hand.

Sookyu nodded.

 

“I don’t think she’ll have a hard time fitting in. The kids here are quite nice and are well aware of our other disability students. I do recommend having her sign up to get a personal caretaker that will help her to and from classes. Also, does she have a walking stick with her?” the lady jabbered on like an automated machine.

 

“I do have a walking stick, but I prefer not to use it. As for caretaker, can I just have my sister take me to class?” Soobin turned her head and stated.

 

“It is recommend that you use your walking stick at all times, for safety issues. As for using your sister, I can have that arranged and explain to her teachers about her being tardy” the lady nodded.

 

Soobin’s face dropped. She didn’t want to carry around her walking stick. It made her feel more like an outcast then what she already was. It was like putting a big poster on her saying, “Feel bad for me and watch out because I’m blind”.

 

The lady handed over a few pieces of paper to Sookyu, “I’ll need your signature here and you’ll need to get your teachers signature to approve you of being a disability helper”

 

Soobin cringed. ‘Disability helper’, it rang in her ears. It hurt to hear that. She doesn’t want to be reminded that she has a disability.

 

“These are both of your schedules and on the corner right here is your locker combination code. Now for Soobin, you can read braille right?” the lady asked.

 

“I can.” she replied.

 

“We have a designated area for the disabled students lockers that have a braille coding on them. It’s on the other side of the first floor. That way you won’t clash with the other students.” she said.

 

“If I am going to be with my sister…. can’t I just use her locker too?” she muttered. The lady sighed, “If you want, that can be arranged.”. Soobin nodded.



 

The girls left the office and Soobin was quite displeased, “I already don’t like it here. First they tell us that the disabled are quite welcomed here, but are separated from the rest of the school.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter