Process of Healing

Always By Your Side

Sooyoung hummed a soft tune as she sat in the passenger seat of Taehyung’s car, the uneasy feeling she felt earlier gone as she waited for him to finish pumping gas into his car. It had taken a while, but he had finally agreed in visiting the place they grew up together. Spotting him staring at her, she waved at him, but her smile was quickly replaced with a pout when he turned his head away from her.

Until when was he going to keep ignoring her?

Hearing the door open, she crossed her arms across her chest and turned her head towards the window. Two can play that game.

The two drove in complete silence for a while, with Sooyoung stealing slight glances at the seemingly oblivious man. Whether he knew she was looking at him or not, he kept his eyes on the road.

She sighed, perhaps it was a good thing he had his eyes fixed on the road and not paying attention to her. There had been many car accidents lately on the news and she shivered at the thought it happening to Taehyung. Somehow she didn’t trust cars or any moving vehicles for that matter. Buses especially scared her.

No longer able to take the silence she turned to him, “yah, Kim Taehyung. You can ignore me all you want, but at least turn on some music.” She eyed him, waiting to see if he was going to listen to her. After a few moment of staring, he finally reached over and the radio. A smile appeared on her glaring face. It was nice to know that after all these years, Taehyung still gave in to her. No matter how mad he was with her.

That was how it always was. She vaguely recalled an incident where she had accidently tore his prized comic book. He had been so mad at her, ignoring her for many days that she had really thought he would never speak to her again. Then one night, a severe thunderstorm happened and being the chicken that she was she ran over to Taehyung’s bed asking to let her sleep with him and despite not looking at her, he scooted over making room for her.

 A blush appeared on her cheeks as she recalled the memory. It was the first out of the two times she had slept with Taehyung. The nuns had been understanding when they found the two side by side the next morning, but made sure to let Sooyoung know that the next time it thundered, she seek shelter with one of the older girls there.

The second time was when they were roughly around the age of eighteen and nineteen.

Sooyoung was sleeping when she heard a knock on the window. Getting up she found a semi-soaked Taehyung outside.

“Yah, what are you doing?” She whispered, not too loud as to wake up the younger girls as she helped him through the window. He smirked at her, “Jimin wanted to have some fun before I headed off to college.”

“Where’s your key?” She questioned bringing him a towel from the wardrobe.

He smiled sheepishly again, “lost it.”

She sighed, she was worried for him. How was he to survive college if he still behaved like a little kid? She didn’t have much time with him before he would travel the five hours’ drive to his new home.

Walking to her mat, she slid under the covers, “you should probably go to sleep soon. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow.”

Expecting to hear the door open, she was surprised when she felt him laid down beside her. Sitting up she turned to find him looking up at her.

“What are you doing?”

“Sleeping,” he replied as if this was normal.

“Kim Taehyung,” she said not knowing how to respond.

“It’s going to thunder soon, and if I recalled correctly someone here is afraid of thunder,” and as on cue, a loud rumble was heard causing Sooyoung to jump.

“See,” he smiled devilishly before pulling her back down beside him.

“You’ll get sick,” she said tugging on his clothes.

“Nah, it was barely sprinkling when I got stuck outside.”

A flashed of lighting, followed by another loud rumble was heard, but before she could jump from fright she felt an arm snake itself around her waist.

She looked up at the boy startled, but his eyes were closed yet she knew he wasn’t asleep because she could see the smile on his lips. Knowing she wouldn’t win against the boy she scooted over making just enough room for him on the mat and lifted the covers up.

“If you’re going to sleep with me, you better get under the covers then,” and within seconds Taehyung had snuggled himself closer to her. The smile on his face bigger than ever, reflecting her very own smile.

He had felt so warm despite being wet and even to this day she never understood how he was able to get up and go back to the boys’ room before anyone saw them. If any of the little girls had saw them, or worse one of the nuns, she didn’t even want to think what would’ve happened to them.

Coming back to reality, she gazed out the window just in time to see the orphanage.

“Taehyung, you just passed the orphanage,” she exclaimed, but he continued driving.

An odd sense of familiarity struck her as they drove down a road with trees aligning both sides, “don’t go anymore,” she protested, but it was useless. She had known this would happen, no she was secretly hoping he would come here.

“Taehyung. You can’t go,” but he had too she knew he had too. She had prepared herself today, yet she didn’t know if her heart could take a crying Taehyung.

“Please Taehyung,” she begged, her vision of him carrying a bouquet of roses blurring from the tears in her eyes.

-♥-

Kim Taehyung was a man of little emotions. He didn’t always used to be like that, in fact he was one with too many emotions and never one to be shy of expressing them on his face whether he liked it or not.

“You’re mad at me aren’t you?” She had said with her face hung low.

“No I’m not.” He had lied.

“Yes you are. I can see it on your face,” he cursed himself for not being able to hide his emotions.

However it was now second nature to hide his emotions, or so he thought until he came upon a grave. Someone had been there before him as a bouquet of yellow roses were already placed in front of the grave. His eyes scanned the name engraved on it.

Park Sooyoung

June 18, 2013

It felt wrong to be standing in front of her. After all the wrongdoings he had done to her, it just wasn’t right. If only he had met up with her when he was supposed to. If only he hadn’t stood her up. If only he hadn’t neglected her. If only he had kept his promise.

Yes, his promise to come back for her when he was done with school, but he didn’t want to until he had made a name for himself. Saved enough money to care for her, but greed had gotten the better of him. Always trying to move up the promotion ladder that he had slowly neglected her, putting her at the end of his priority. Neglecting the love she had for him and now it was too late to return it. He never meant for it to happen, but it did.

Standing there brought out all the emotions he had been holding in since her death as an ugly sob escaped from his lips.

“I’m so sorry Sooyoung.”

“It’s all my fault.”

Taehyung let out an annoyed sigh as he left the table where he was working with his partners to take the call from the new cell phone he had recently bought with his first paycheck since graduating.

“Neh?” He asked.

“Taehyung, where are you?”

“Ah, sorry Sooyoung, but I’m really busy at work right now. I’ll be a little late.” He knew it was wrong since this would’ve been the first time in a long while since they last saw each other, but he figured Sooyoung would understand. After all he was only doing all of this for her.

“Okay. I’ll wait for you then.”

Five hours later and they were finally done. Pulling out his phone he saw that he had five missed called and six texts from Sooyoung.

.

“Taehyung, where are you?”

“It’s already been an hour.”

“One more hour and I’m leaving.”

“I’m serious.”

“Fine.”

“Good bye.”

He figured he’ll deal with this later today, sleep seeming more important at the moment.

But as fate would have it, he never got the chance to amend his actions for the bus that Sooyoung had gotten on had wrecked and though there weren’t much passengers aboard the bus, there were no survivors.

Taehyung blamed himself for her death and as punishment he lived his life as if he had been the one to die that day. If Sooyoung couldn’t enjoy life, what right did he have? He still went to work every day, doing just enough so he wouldn’t get fire, and every now and then when he saved enough, he sent money back to the orphanage. It was what Sooyoung would have wanted.

Everything he had worked so hard for now seemed pointless. After all, what point was it when he could no longer share his success with the one person who he had been working so hard for?

-♥-

Sooyoung stood watching him, muffling her own sobs though she knew it wasn’t necessary. She knew she was dead. Had been well aware that Taehyung couldn’t see her, couldn’t hear her, or feel her touches no matter how hard she had tried.

It was cruel to bring him to such a place that caused him such heartbreak but she knew it was necessary. Knew this was the first step in his healing process and as much as it pained her to think that one day she would no longer be able to be by his side, she couldn’t wait to see him happy again, but until the day he healed, she would always be by his side, silently loving him.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

So did you guys know Sooyoung was a ghost/spirit/dead when reading the first chapter?

I actually really like the plot, and wished I had put more time into making it a better story, but nonetheless I hope you guys enjoyed it.