Patiently Waiting

Always By Your Side

“Promise me you’ll always be by my side.”

The sound of footsteps were heard outside the door along with the jiggling of keys. Getting up from the spot she was sitting, Sooyoung quickly got up, straightened her dress and made her way to the door. She had been waiting patiently for his return, ever since he had left earlier that morning. His apartment was small and she had already explored all she could within the short time span of her arrival, so with nothing left to do, she spent her days cleaning and straightening anything she could without causing too much of a ruckus. He was never one for tidiness and she didn’t want to disrupt his daily routine. How he was ever able to find things in a mess of what he used as a desk confused her, but whenever he needed something he seemed to know exactly where to find it in the ever growing pile of items. When she did all she could do, she would then find herself a little spot on the ground to wait.

Time seemed to pass slowly whenever he was gone, but she didn’t seem to mind, after all, she was used to waiting.

She knew it was rude to intrude upon him out of the blue, but he didn’t seem to mind so she continued her stay with him, he was all she had left anyway. The orphanage was always there, or she hoped it would be, too many children depended on it, and though she was grateful for the orphanage, staying with him was a hundred times better. She made extra care not to cost him any trouble and she never got hungry enough to eat, so he didn’t have to worry about feeding her. Sooyoung heard the key being inserted into the key hole and fixed her hair nervously, she wanted to look decent for him. The door made a creaking noise, showing the true age of the building which she had noticed on her first night there, before a young man his mid-twenties emerged through the door.

“Welcome back!” She shouted as she stepped a little off to the side to let him pass by her. His damped hair told her he had been caught in the summer shower.

Seeing the door slightly ajar, she quickly went to close it and made sure to lock it for him.  

“I wanted to cook dinner for you, but you know how bad of a cook I am,” she said as she hurried after him only to be hit with a flying shirt.

“Jeez, can’t you undress nicely,” she said as she turned herself around before pulling the shirt off of her head and continued to neatly fold it.

She stood still for a bit, not wanting to turn around in case he was still . Not that she hadn’t seen him before. Of course, the last time she had seen him was when they were both five and four years old respectively. Surely, he would look a lot different now. Shaking her head, she scolded herself for having such thoughts. If the nuns were to ever find out, they’ll surely be disappointed in her.

“You know, I’ve been thinking. It’s been a while since you’ve been back. I’m sure the nuns and orphans really miss you. I know I missed you a lot back then too.”

“Taehyung?” Turning around she saw that he had already fallen asleep on his bed.

“Jeez Taehyung,” she muttered under her breath as she placed the folded shirt on a chair before going over to him. Plotting herself on the ground, she folded her arms across the edge of his bed and rested her head on them. As she gazed at his face, Sooyoung couldn’t help but admire his handsome face, a light blush spread across her cheeks as her eyes landed on his lips. She discarded the thought of wanting to kiss him and instead brought her attention to the wrinkles that were outlining his face.

“You’ve worked hard, haven’t you?” She could only imagine how much he had suffered in his four years of college. Taehyung had been a smart kid, it came to no surprise when he was offered a full ride to college. She had wished she paid a little more attention in school, but Sooyoung never understood school and as much as Taehyung had tried to help her, Sooyoung never received higher than barely passing. When it was time for Taehyung to pack his bag, she forced a smile and accepted that he would be moving hours away, but he had calmed her heavy heart by promising her that he would come back for her.

A pout appeared on her face and she wondered what dream he was having to cause him to make such a face. If there was only a way for her to comfort him, however she knew it was impossible.

When she had finally found him, in the bustling, overcrowded city she had been excited. Excited because it had been six years since he had left the orphanage and two years since the last time she saw him. She hadn’t realize what two years could do to a person and although he looked almost the same (he had gotten a lot more handsomer, if that was even possible and he definitely seemed a lot more mature) and had almost the same habits as she remembered, there seemed to be something different about him as well.

A part of her had expected him to be excited to see her, but as she ran to greet him she was greeted with nothing more than a stare. Perhaps he was still mad at her? Their last meeting had resulted in her leaving before they could actually meet.

She noticed that his eyes had become dull and as she went on to observe throughout her days with him, it would seem as he was living his life like a robot. The thought of Taehyung being a robot crossed her mind, as had read it somewhere in one of the orphan boy’s comic book one day when she was cleaning. Things like government turning normal humans into robots and what not.

Everything he did seemed mechanical, and he didn’t seem to like much interactions with other people either because she never saw anyone come by.  

The Taehyung she remembered was always outgoing and always seemed to have a little mischief in his eyes. His eyes, his wonderful eyes that looked as if they were filled with stars, that whenever she stared into his eyes, she felt like she was staring at the night sky. Where was this the old Taehyung that she had learned to love, not that she loved him any less now. No, her love for him was still very strong and no matter what happens she had once promised him to always be by his side.   

Perhaps something had happened to cause him to turn into an almost robotic hermit life. She could ask him, but she knew he would never tell her and though she wanted to do something to help him she knew the only thing she could do was to quietly stay by his side.

♥♥♥

Heh, so here is part one. What do you guys think? This was actually what I had wanted to write for "Forget Me Not," but things didn't go as planned and I kept chainging the plot of it, that's why there's a "Forget Me Not," and a "Always By Your Side." Please subscribe and comment!