Chapter 2

The secret life of Kai.

CHAPTER 2

 

The show was finally over after some episodes. It was interesting and fun, the girl he was pair with was nice but completely not his style, but still cute. Kai on the other hand, has been busy all this time, they haven’t been able to see each other since that night. They text and occasionally call, but it’s been weeks without seen each other. However, there was something that followed Taemin from that night. The pleasant scent he smelled on Kai’s body the night of the Karaoke. Every once in a while he was able to smell it but never really find the source.

 

-What you doing?- Jonghyun asked the maknae when he saw him smelling his cloths and everything around.

 

-I think someone is wearing the cologne that I like- Taemin answered. Jonghyun smell himself too, making the rest of the boys from the band smell too.

 

-I’m wearing the same one as always- Jonghyun say. But by then the scent was gone and Taemin didn’t found the source. Even on stage while performing for a moment he smell it and later again during an interview. By then he stop trying to locate the source, he just enjoy the few seconds that last. No one notice but if someone could pay attention it was easy to notice when Taemin was having that moment, he breath deeply follow by a faint smile for no reason.

 

One night a call woke up Taemin. Jonghyun who was sleeping in the bed next to his just turn around trying to get away from the noise.

 

-Hello- sleepy Taemin answers the call. Usually he never answer a call that he doesn’t know the number, but he was so sleepy that he didn’t even thought of checking the caller.

 

-Taemin, this is Suho. We going to need you to come to the hospital in Seoul.- The leader of EXO informed Taemin.

 

-What? what’s going on?- The word hospital made Taemin woke up completely.

 

-Kai fell from the stage and we brought him to the emergency room.-

 

-I’ll be right there!-  Taemin got up from the bed and turn on the light trying to put his cloths on but he just walk back and forth so nervous all around the room.

 

-What’s going on Taemin?- Jonghyun asked him when he notices his nervousness.

 

-Sorry hyung, I need to go to the hospital. Kai had an accident.-

 

-Calm down Taemin. You can’t drive like this. I’ll take you there-

 

Few minutes later Taemin and Jonghyun arrived at the hospital where some of the other EXO member were waiting.

 

-How is he?- Taemin approached the leader.

 

-Looks like he’s going to be alright, the doctor say that Kai is going to need to rest for a couple of weeks and take it easy on his dancing.- Suho told Taemin.

 

-Can I see him?-

 

-Yes, he’s still sleeping but he’ll woke up any minute. Taemin we need to go, we have our last interview of the season tomorrow. Could you tell him to take it easy? after tomorrow he have a couple of months schedule-free, so it will be good for him to relax and get better, he can come back to us for our next protect in two months.

 

-I will. Thanks for calling me- He bow to the leader in appreciation which was a big deal. Regardless of Taemin been younger that the leader, he was still Suho’s Sunbae which mean he had a higher rank than the leader. “Hyung, I’m going to stay here, you can go back” Taemin told Jonghyun who after hearing that his maknae’s best friend was going to be ok, he felt relief and left him with the notion that if he needs anything he should call him. 

 

Once Taemin enter Kai’s room, there it was again, the scent that has been following him for the past few weeks, this time the smell was stronger and easy to found the source. It came from Kai who was laying on the bed with few bruises on his face. When Kai woke up he was glad to see Taemin next to him.

 

-hi stupid- Taemin greed his friend making Kai smile at the word. He definitely felt like a stupid falling from the stage. 

 

That moment a female doctor came in to the room with an intrigue expression. Looking at Kai’s chart and making some notes. She faintly smile at Taemin probably recognizing him as Shinee. 

 

-How do you feel Mr. Kai? The doctor asked.

 

-Much better, thanks.

 

-Feel any pain?-

 

-No at all. Can I go home now?- Kai asked anxious to get out of the hospital. He never been in a hospital before.

 

-We just need to do run some final test and then you can go home- She say closing the chart with a smile like everything was alright, but Taemin notice something odd in her expression but he didn’t say anything that moment, he waited until she step outside the room to follow her and ask for the true.

 

-It’s something wrong with Kai?- Taemin asked the woman once he was out of the reach of Kai’s ears. Thinking that maybe something was bad with his friend and she didn’t want to worry the boys. 

 

-No, nothing at all- she reply with a tone of nervousness in her voice. Taemin didn’t believe her.

 

-Please, tell me what’s the matter- Taemin insist. 

 

-Don’t worry about it. Just I’m going to ask you a favor. Please don’t let anyone take any sample of him or give him any medication. I’ll personally will come if something is required but beside me, no one is allowed to give him anything. Ok?-  Taemin thought that was strange but he agreed.

 

Next day Kai was finally discharged with instruction to call only her, his doctor, if something happened no matter the time or place, even if it is abroad. Kai save her personal number on his phone and left the hospital feeling better then new.

 

-I don’t know why I have to rest. I feel find- Kai was annoyed by Taemin who was harassing him to stay in when Kai wanted to go and practice. The next couple of day Kai against his will was force to stay in bed but by the third day he could do it any more. Since he had no schedule with EXO he was following SHINee members to all of their events. After one presentation all the members and Kai when to celebrate to a Japanese restaurant when they booked a privet room to get away from the fans. During their dinner and their favorite suju Key came up with the idea to play a game where two boys eat a pocky stick at the same time and who have the longer stick have to drink a shot. Usually this means that to be able to win you might have to touch your partner lips with yours. The closer you get the smaller the stick.

 

First was Key and Jonghyun biting each end of the stick, the closer Jonghyun get to Key, the funnier the facial expression of key was. Trying to get as close as he could without touching their lips. Finally Jonghyun give a final bite and retrieve holding a small pice of stick.

 

-Wow, that’s really small- Minho say in awe, knowing that he and Onew were next. But their final stick wasn’t as small as the previous, it was almost double the size. Taemin couldn’t stop laughing, he was already drunk, an laughing at anything was how everyone knew he had a little to much.

 

-Kai, Taemin. You guys are next- Jonghyun say putting the stick on Kai’s lips. Taemin was trying to compose himself from all the laughter. Finally when he put his lips on the other end of it, they began to count for them to start. Taemin began to chew piece by piece getting closer and closer to Kai until finally he reach almost the end. When Kai thought Taemin was retrieving he move back a little but Taemin hold his head to keep going until they touch their lips. Everyone began to cheer and laugh. But when the moment became a little to long, the laugh and cheer seize and they all watch how Taemin was beginning kissing Kai. They all went silent for a moment, uncomfortable and awkward until Jonghyun grab Taemin by the arm and gently pull him away. Taemin began to laugh like he didn’t realize what he just done. They all looked at Taemin like he was a crazy person still laughing in amusement while Kai felt embarrassed and maybe a little disoriented. 

 

-What?- Taemin asked Jonghyun when he notice the odd look on his friend.

-Taemin you’re to drunk. Lets go home-

 

-Come on you guys. We’re just having fun-

 

Everybody got up and walk out the door. Taemin didn’t want to leave but Kai walk to him and grab his friend to walk out the door too. Nobody say anything on their way back, everyone felt awkward. It could be maybe because Kai was there and he wasn’t all that drunk as Taemin. Maybe all the other members blame Kai for not putting an end to the kiss when obviously Taemin  wasn’t to blame for been drunk. At least that’s how Kai felt.

 

When they arrived to the dorms, Taemin was already sleepy, he barely was able to walk to his room, the one he share with Jonghyun. Kai help his friend to put him in to bed and just in case he put the garbage can next to his bed.

 

-Kai, could you meet us in the leaving room please?- Minho asked Kai kindly but definitely make him worry. Kai walk out of the room to meet the Shinee members that were waiting for him.

 

-Kai, would you like to sit down?- Onew, the leader asked. Kai sat on the other end of the room like he was about to be judge. 

 

-What’s going on between you and Taemin?- Onew asked the question the moment Kai was sitting uncomfortable in front of them.

 

-What? nothing- he replay nervously. 

 

-Look. We’re not going to judge. Honestly we don’t care if you are dating. We just want to know because we want to protect you guys. Taemin is our maknae and we have the responsibility to care for him. If you are together we will like to know in order to help you. If the company finds out it could be the end of your careers. - Jonghyun spoke very politically like he always do. he was known to be the spoke person of the group.

 

-There is nothing between us- Kai confirmed -he was just drunk-

 

-Do you have feeling for him?- Key asked.

 

-Well yes.- Kai reply with a nervous smile -He’s my friend, I love him-

 

All the members thought that there was something more than friendship there, but they decided no to push the subject any further and forget about the whole thing with one last warning.

 

-Make sure this doesn’t happen again in front of other people. Specially our manager.- Onew say with a serious tone. He was known for been funny and cheerful, Kai never say him speak with such a serous tone before. It was kind of scary.

 

-Ok guys, I’m leaving- Jonghyun lighten the mood by getting up and stretching his arms. 

 

-Where are you going at this hour?- Key asked him. It was already 3 in the morning.

 

-it’s my mother birthday today. SO I’m going to spend the day with her. I’ll see you guys on monday- And with that he walk out of the door with a back pack. After that the rest of the member when to their rooms to sleep. Kai when to Taemin’s room were he’s been staying these days sleeping on one of the floor mattress. But tonight since Taemin’s roommate wasn’t home he decide to use the bed. Everything went quiet ready to sleep when Taemin voice say.

 

-Did they give you a hard time?- he spoke in the darkness of the room.

 

-What? No, they just worry about you, that’s all- Kai reply.

 

-Yes, they always been like this. Always worry, always looking after me.-

 

-You’re lucky to have them- 

 

-Yes, I guess I am.- there was silent again and then Kai spoke.

 

-What happen Taemin. Why did you do it?- IT took him a while to reply.

 

-I don’t know. It just felt right- another silent -I can’t say I’m sorry Kai. it just felt right and I don’t feel sorry.-

 

-I think I’m ok with that- Kai say. Even though Taemin couldn’t see him, Kai was smiling softly not really knowing why.

 

-Kai?- Taemin call him like he was trying to gather courage.

 

-Mhm- he hissed

 

-how was it?- 

 

-How was what?- Kai responded 

 

-The kiss- Kai when silent for a moment, that silent made Taemin a bit sad thinking that probably he wanted to forget about it. Taemin waited another second for the respond and when this never came he just roll on the bed facing away from his best friend.

 

-It was amazing- Kai finally answer. Taemin turn around and turn on the lamp in between their beds. Kai was already looking at Taemin with serious gaze. He look at him back it was like Taemin wanted to say something but could found the words for it. Kai got up of the bed and walk toward Taemin without braking their gaze.

 

-It just feels right. Right?- Kai say sitting next to Taemin. Their gaze became more intense like there was no need for words. The entire room became full of that scent, Kai’s scent. Taemin breath deep and Kai came close to him kissing him softly. 

 

 

Next morning Kai woke up finding him self next to Taemin in his bed. He was resting comfortable in his arms. Kai got up of Taemin’s bed putting his boxers and pants on.

 

“What have I done?” Kai looked uneasy and when he tried to sit, the pain brought back the memories from the previous night. Yes it did hurt and this morning was a small reminder from last night. He stood up and walked out of the room. In the living room was Key already having some breakfast. Kai felt ashamed like he could see right through him. 

 

-Kai! I’m glad you’re awake. I hate eating alone, come have some breakfast with me. Everyone still sleeping.- Key grab Kai by the hand and sat him on one go the kitchen chairs. The moment Kai’s touch the hard surface of the chair the pain came back to him, but he hold it in trying to hide it from Key. But his face told the tell of the amount of pain he was going through. Key didn’t notice. Before Kai was finish with his food, one of the door from the bedrooms open. Kai became nervous that Taemin was already awake. How will he face him. But it was Minho walking from the rooms. Kai felt a little relief for the moment. In fact he wanted to leave the Shinee dorms maybe even forget what happen last night. Go back the way it was before, no strange feelings, no awkward moments, no stress.

 

-Can I have some too?- Minho asked Key about the food.

 

-Yes, you can have some, it’s in the stove- Key reply.

 

-Hyung I want some too!- Taemin say out of nowhere. Kai jump at the sound of Taemin’s voice. He was expecting to hear some kind of warning that he was coming, but didn’t hear the door open. Everyone looked at Kai’s reaction, including Taemin. 

 

-What’s with you?- Key asked Kai.

 

-Sorry, the food when the wrong way- he lie getting up from the table avoiding Taemin’s eyes.

 

From that moment Kai was awkward toward Taemin. That same afternoon he lie saying that Suho asked to meet him for a group meeting. Taemin was feeling a little rejected but didn’t dare to asked him why, maybe he didn’t want to hear that Kai regret last night. Even though he knew Kai was lying, he gave him the benefit of the doubt. But little did he know that, that day was the last day he will see Kai in a long time. Regardless of endless text message and voice mail from Taemin, Kai didn’t reply to any of them.