[Sulay] Over the counter acid

Late Night Drabbles

Author: ShiningRose

Pairing: Yixing/Joonmyun

 

Yixing is a pharmacist at the neighborhood store drug counter. It's a dull job, filling prescriptions for little old ladies and twenty year old patients who claim to be fatally ill and will likely pass out if he becomes the cause fo their McDondald's fries to turn soggy while sitting in the car. Once upon a time perhaps Yixing had higher aspirations. He went to med school to learn the cure for cancer after all. But then little old ladies and fatally petulant twenty-something's need someone like him as well. Someone's got to do the job.

And every now and then, it definitely has its perks. Being the primary face that some people need to get through their day. Small chatting with the old people and smiling brightly at whoever life brings his way. Days like today, for instance. Because the twenty-something walking up now doesn't look like he's going to be a total . In fact, he's gorgeous, petite, with pretty blond hair and a nervous disposition. Just the kind of person Yixing is good with putting at ease.

"Can I help you, today, sir?"

The young man grumbles, frowning. His arms are crossed before his chest and he rubs his exposed arms, nervously looking around the counter for something, anything. And apparently not finding what he's looking for. The glasses on the tip of his nose are falling off, and he struggles to slide them back up the bridge of his nose before looking Yixing in the eye.

"Yes, uhm... do you have any hydrochloric acid?"

"Uhmm, y- no... what?" Yixing blinks. He fixes the glasses slipping down his own nose as he eyes the guy with newfound, and scary interest. "Hydrochloric.... acid? Whatever for?"

"Uhm, well my roommate says he needs it really quick, and I can't find it on the shelves anymore."

"I should think not," says Yixing, also now crossing his arms and rubbing his elbows while silently observing if anyone is getting this. He doesn't want to cause a scene, but this young man is definitely troubled, and troubled young men asking for hydrochloric acid should probably not be granted their request. He just doesn't know how to go about this.

"Could you tell me...?"

"Look, I'm kind of in a hurry," the young man says, eyes shockingly puppy eyed. "My friend's waiting at home and he says this is important so if you could just please... tell me where it is, or else should I order it special from you? Over the counter? You're a pharmacist right? You work here? I didn't think it would be that hard to find this stuff. I mean, doesn't every gas station even carry the stuff?"

"Uhm, sir, I don't think you understand but, we don't sell hydrochloric acid. In fact, it's not legal to sell it-"

"It isn't?! But, I've gotten the stuff before? Or at least I think I have."

"Sir, if you got it from here, then you are still mistaken. I'm afraid I can't help you and- I'd like you to leave."

His words, other than not dissuading the man to leave actually have the opposite effect. He looks shocked, hurt, looking like life has just failed him, like Yixing has failed him, and Yixing is sorry, he truly is. But people don't just go around selling highly corrosive industrial chemicals like what the man is asking for, so Yixing doesn't know how he's going to save the day. Unless by turning the guy away, he's saving other people. Namely this buddy who's at home waiting for a chemical he believes he's gotten at a local drug store before. And that part right there is scary... Is there a conspiracy somewhere that Yixing's missing? Does the other pharmacist who works the morning shift sell this under the table? Yixing always thought that Jongin kid looked a bit shifty, but hydrochloric acid...

"Look, sir, Yixing-" the young man has resorted to reading off Yixing's name badge, and it would be cute he's calling him sir, because Yixing only calls his dad sir, and Yixing is definitely not a dad yet. May never have the chance actually if this customer decides to turn vengeful. "I just need it please... It's supposed to come in a bottle. Usually brown. I know I bought it here before when I fell off my motorcycle and skinned my knee. I just need it to disinfect-"

"OH!" Yixing suddenly yells, and the man flinches like he just shouted at him, which he did. "Do you mean... hydrogen peroxide? Because, if so... it's on aisle 3."

The man flushes red. "Hydrog--en... peroxide? Oh, you're right that's what it's called. Uhm, I'm... so sorry..." He looks a billion shades of embarrassed, and therefore twice as cute and Yixing loves it. Loves it even more that the guy isn't trying to purchase something else, because Yixing didn't really want to call the cops on him. Maybe they can play cops together sometime though because... cute. If he hasn't mentioned that yet. And he has a motorcyle?!

"What... what did I actually ask for?" says the guy, and Yixing definitely needs his name now.

"You... probably don't want to know, but that's okay. If you want to get the peroxide, I can check you out back here though?" Oh yes, he can. Yixing can probably also let the man pay for his purchase here. Maybe he'll pay by credit card, and then Yixing can learn what his lovely name is after all, and use it as an excuse to knowing him better.

He does. And his name is as lovely as he looks. Kim Joonmyun.

"So, Joonmyun, you said you were cleaning a wound or something?"

"Yeah, it's for my friend's cat. It... got into a fight with the neighbor's cat and... well, I'm kind of in a hurry because we want to disinfect his wounds quick, but thanks and... sorry for the mess up."

"It's no problem, Joonmyun." Is Yixing being too creepy, repeating his name like that? "Come and see me any time you need. I'll try to direct you better."

"Uhm, yeah..." says Joonmyun, smiling his lovely smile at Yixing, and hopefully being warmed by the one Yixing gives in return. He does so love being the savior for someone's day.