Chapter 3

1997(Zico)

I spent most of my time playing games with Grandma and riding the ferris wheel with her as she yelled out into the air that she does not enjoy heights. Most of the time I laughed at her and tried to make her relax, but she cursed and told me she'll never go on rides again.

She said she didn't have the heart she used to for these things.

A frown latched on my lips and I tried to get her excited, and after she beat me over ten times at a shoot-the-frog game by a stand, I've never seen an elderly woman more excited.

"I'm going to talk to Eun-Bi over by the cotton candy machine. You can use the rest of the tickets riding the really good rides. I know you rather go on those than the kitty ones." Grandma told me, grabbing my wrist and placing the five tickets left in my palm.

"But I literally have no one to go on these with." I explained to her.

"It's called making friends, Nara." She teased me.

"Don't worry. Just enjoy one and then we'll watch who wins the baking contest."

I walked most of the time by myself until I reached a shorter line for the Zipper. It wasn't as long as it was before, so I stood by it and hoped someone else was riding it on their own. I highly doubted it because many people were here with families and friends.

There, I played with the tickets in my hand, realising that two people ahead of me, was the group of six teenagers that the brown-haired one belonged to.

My heart lodged into my throat when I saw him standing by a red haired boy. He had his arms crossed over his chest, the ripped sleeves off the flannel showing off his muscular biceps and his tattoos. I swooned at the sight of his perfect arms. The line began to move, and I moved with it. I wasn't watching ahead of me, but when I looked up there he was. Eyes locked on my body, scanning me quickly before he saw me staring back at him.

A grin curved into his lips suddenly. I inhaled shakily and parted my lips, trying to get as much as oxygen into my brain before I passed out. He was so handsome and hard to look away from. His friend nudged him, and he looked away. The grin gradually left his features as he spoke with the red head. I watched his lips move as he spoke, seeing how perfect they were just doing that.

"Hey," someone said next to me. I turned and saw a girl around my age with bright blue contact eyes. Her dark hair was thrown into a pony tail as she beamed up at me in a friendly way. "I don't have anyone to ride with because my friends are all scared, so are you...riding with anyone?"

I sighed in relief. "No, thank God. I was hoping to find who wasn't either."

"That's great! Guess we'll ride together?" She asked hopefully.

"Of course," I assured her with a friendly grin.

She nodded eagerly and stood beside me, then asking. "So what's your name? Never saw you around here."

"Nara Yu. Visiting my grandmother for the summer." I explained to her, and she nodded.

"Yuri Kim," she said to me.

I nodded briefly. "Everyone says they've never seen me around. It's funny and makes sense because this is such a little town."

Yuri laughed shortly. "Literally everyone knows everyone in this little crap you call a town."

"I kind of like it here, though. It's nice and homely." I said to her. She paused in thought, shrugging her shoulders. "After a while you just want to leave. It gets boring often. Boredom here is like a plague. And all of my classmates and I are doing something illegal by the end of the day to cure it."

I understood what she was saying. Places get old and things get easy to accustom to. When that happens there isn't really much to look forward to afterwards.