I Chapter 2

1997(Zico)

After doing the dishes and helping Grandma fix sew her knit sweater back together, she said, "I think that Celebration is starting soon. If you want, we can go?"

"Of course," I shrugged. "It will be fun."

"No doubt about it! It's the most interesting thing to happen in this hole lubricated by the heat of Satan's malicious powers." I stared at her with a strange, humorous grin.

"Um...I'm not sure whether to ask how or..."

"Don't question where my vocabulary comes from. Question why your mother didn't inherit this gift." She informed me, sounding serious, but evidently comical at once. My shoulders shook with slight laughter, shaking my head at the woman before me. She then quickly urged me to get ready, seeing as we were already twenty minutes late.

I dressed myself in ripped denim shorts that were high on my waist. I quickly slipped on a black and green flannel around my waist and tied my thick brown hair in pony tail. I eagerly slipped my feet into my thick-rimmed boots and made sure to adjust the sleeves of my white, tugged in shirt.

A brief glance in the mirror, and I hurried to the sound of Grandma calling me. She had removed her apron and brushed through her hair before pulling it back up into a bun.

As we left and climbed inside the Beetle, Grandma glanced at my outfit with narrowed eyes. "If you got pregnant under my supervision, your mother would revoke me from buying hair dye ever again. And I can't live with grey hair."

I parted my lips in astonishment. "Grandma," I began quietly. "I'm not going to get pregnant," I then chuckled. "It's bad enough that you're thinking there is a chance of that happening."

She scoffed. "It's my way of saying...you look grown and too attractive ."

"Thank you?"

"It's a compliment!" She argued with annoyance, making me laugh as we drove down the street, her hands squeezing the steering wheel for dear life.

When we arrived, there was nothing short of amazement running through my mind. I saw bright lights, games, and so many people. Not as many as some famous areas, but around here it was pretty big.

And the screaming, laughter, and happiness spreading in abundant amounts. I smiled a little, feeling excited to be here. That was until the Beetle stopped very abruptly, jerking me forward as my seat belt held me back.

My mouth parted as Grandma pressed the horn and angrily shouted, "Teenagers get dumber every year!"

I dropped my hands to my lap and said, "Thanks, Grandma."

"Not you, Nara. You're somewhat tolerable." She joked briefly, sighing heavily at the passing car with sure enough teens inside. They were poking their heads out the window, reaching their hands out towards another group near by.

"This is what the summer fair looks like in Suncheon. The prettiest piece of covered in lights and painted every year with various enticing colors," Grandma announced as if she was a tour guide.

I playfully rolled my eyes as she continued to bash the fair. There was no doubt that everyone in town attended. A lot of these people don't have much to look forward to. No big lights, nor buildings. Nearly nothing exciting ever happens. This was something different. Grandma parked and humorously spat, "Get out."

My eyes were glued to the Ferris wheel at the very end of the fair. It was the biggest ride there, the tallest, and the prettiest. I smiled faintly to myself and inhaled the smell of freshly made Pa Jun, fish cakes, and cotton candy.

"It's nice, isn't it? A little bit of a change around here." Grandma commented beside me, grabbing onto my forearm. "Listen, I'm going to buy tickets. I'm only going on the ones that won't give me a heart attack."

"Grandma, that's not funny." I warned her, casually concerned for her well being. She was the type to still drink alcohol, although I've told her many times that a woman her age who takes various medication shouldn't do that.

She rolled her eyes at me. "Aye, guess what? I can still wipe my own . When I can't do that anymore is when we'll talk about what I can't do."

This made me laugh at her, and I lightly shoved her by the shoulder and said, "Go buy the tickets."

I turned back around and faced the many games and food set ups around. There was a little bit of everything, and the smell of the food mixed in with the warm night so effortlessly. It was nice. Different from the city or the annual summer trip to different countries. with my parents.

In my own little world, I stood there waiting for Grandma when a body bumped into my side harshly. A group of teenagers walked by like it was nothing, not stopping to apologize until I felt a hand wrap around my wrist and a breathless voice say, "I'm —"

They stopped speaking, my eyes snapped up to lock with a pair of dark brown ones. I blankly stared at the guy, processing the sight my line of vision acquired.

His plump, pink lips were parted, his chest rising to inhale deeply as he watched me. I stood there in his sight, quite embarrassed from the long stare we were sharing. My eyes briefly glanced at the ground, cheeks tinting before I looked up again and further examined the guy in front of me. His hair was slightly long. He had it messily around his face, brushing against his defined jaw. My face brightened further, skin growing hotter under the fair lights in the warm temperature.

"—sorry," he breathed, finishing the sentence he was going to say.

I opened my mouth to say, "It's okay."

The brown-haired guy parted his lips to say something else, his eyes never leaving mine. He looked stunned. But before he could mutter one syllable, one of his buddies grabbed him by the shoulder and loudly exclaimed, "Man! C'mon, the line's huge for Helter skelter."

He was pulled away from me, his head turning to watch me as his friends dragged him along. I faintly smiled and blushed further. I saw that along his perfectly pink lips, a grin had formed before he turned away fully.

"Nara?" Grandma called from beside me seconds later.

I snapped my eyes from the place I last saw the browned haired guy, and turned to look at Grandma.

"Yep? Get the tickets?" I asked her.

"No, I took a and only told you I'd get tickets for no reason," she sarcastically spat at me.

I snorted and wrapped my arms around her, and I saw that she smiled. "I wonder what you were like as a teenager, Grandma."

"I was the definition of a terrible influence. That's what I was." She told me with a laugh.