Part 9 - Healer

(X)

He always liked riding his bike at night it helped him clear his mind,

Lay pedaled repeating the address under his breath. He went into a few dark alleys before reaching the restaurant. He climbed off his bike slowly walking in. He didn’t know what he was doing here, or who he was meeting. The instructions had only been to be at this place tonight.

There was no one inside except a worker who was fast asleep on his chair. Lay carefully walked up to him patting him softly “excuse me” the mans eyelids fluttered open and Lay smiled softly “can I please get some tea?”

“yes, I’ll bring that right out to you” Lay thanked him and walked to the first table that caught his eye. The wood was dark matching the walls and floors making the place look dark. During daytime it probably looked nice but at night with no one around it sent shivers down his back.

Why here? Out of all places to meet? He would’ve picked somewhere brighter. He plugged his earphones into his phone and put them on, he might as well listen to music. “Your tea” the worker came bringing him his cup and leaving. Lay sighed suddenly not thirsty anymore. He looked at his phone and opened his notes writing the familiar phrase

‘You are my sunshine, I need you. You are the one’ Lay sighed, he knew he had to let go but he couldn’t. The light behind him suddenly started flickering, and the music stopped. Soft static filled his ears before a high pitched screeching noise caused him to flinch. He looked at his phone and jumped off the chair, the screen no longer working as it malfunctioned.

An image slowly started appearing and his heart stopped. Leaving the phone on the table Lay ran out of the restaurant and grabbed his bike trying to get as far away as possible. He only road for ten feet before a black car cut him off causing him to almost fall off the bike. The doors opened and two men in dark grey suits came out. “Are you Zhang Yixing?”

“Call me Lay” he muttered, he didn’t want them using his real name. “You need to come with us”

“Why?”

“It’s about that contract you made with the PRC” right…. He had forgotten about that. “I’m not interested anymore” he started riding his bike before one of the guys grabbed the handle forcing him to stay. “I don’t think you understand what it means if you break the contract.” He didn’t, but he had an idea.

“Alright… I’ll go” they motioned towards the back of the car and Lay got off his bike getting in the back of the car.

“Where are we going?”

“Please refrain from talking for your own good” Lay shut up and looked out the window as they drove in silence.

*******
(Kai POV)

“What do you mean you couldn’t find Baekhyun or Sehun?!”

He looked between Chanyeol and Suho both of them in chaos as they backtracked everything that happened. “What did I tell you two? There are people looking for us! How could you three be so stupid?” Kyungsoo yelled at Chanyeol.

Wait what? “What?” Kai repeated his thoughts sitting up from the couch him Tao and Xiumin had been sitting on and walked over to the three. “People looking for you? What are you talking about?”

“This doesn’t concern you” Kyungsoo glared at him. Kai backed away a step but kept staring at him. “Look those guys were chasing all of us. I want to know what’s going on”
Kyungsoo kept staring at Kai. “we have to find them, Baekhyuns already been caught once. Who knows what a second time will do to him” Suho muttered.

Xiumin stood up walking over to them “who is looking for you?” Suho frowned and Kai could tell he wasn’t sure. He sighed what had they gotten themselves into? Tao just had to go sharing his powers. “We should go.” He muttered. “What?” Tao spoke up shocked. Kai turned to look at him “we shouldn’t be here Tao! Who knows what’s chasing them!”

“We can’t leave” Xiumin shook his head, Tao stood up “we have to help them find Sehun and Baekhyun” Kai ran a hand through hair. “This wasn’t supposed to happen. We were supposed to travel the world and I was supposed to meet hot girls” Kyungsoo scoffed but didn’t say anything. “I mean… These guys are clearly looking for you because you all have gifts right?”

“Being together is basically making their job easier” Kai knew he sounded like a jerk but he also knew he was right, and they did too. “But what about Baekhyun and Sehun” Chanyeol pouted.

“They’re in China right now” Kai turned around to see someone standing in the front doorway. “who are you?” He walked in holding a leather notebook in one hand and a map on the other. “Chen, it’s ok I’m like you guys. I’ve been tracking down Kai for the past couple of months”

He was? Kai looked at Chen and suddenly it clicked “Almaty! That’s where I’ve seen You!” Chen grin and nodded “I saw you teleporting that day so I tried finding you again” Chen looked out the window and sighed “the eclipse… It made you all lose control of your powers right?”

Suho looked at Chen not bothering with the eclipse story. “where’s Sehun and Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo took the notebook from his hand and opened it reading the first few pages “they’re in China. Suho… They’re going to open them up and use them as lab rats. They’ve known about us for a while now. We’re just one big government secret”

“How can we trust you?” Chanyeol spoke up looking at Chen. Chen looked out the window again suddenly a ray of lightning shot down from the sky attacking the pine tree by the house. They all jumped and Chen looked at Chanyeol “I’ve been trying to learn about what we are for years now, the farthest I’ve gotten when it came to evidence of people like us only dates back to 1952”

“I’m missing something but I’m not sure what it is. We don’t have time for that right now though. We need to look for your friends or else they’ll be killed”

They turned to look at Kai and he sighed “you guys are right. We need to help them. We’ll all go” Suho nodded grateful and Kyungsoo smiled softly at him.

“Then let’s go to China.”

******
(Lays Pov)

The halls were white with metals doors on either side, the place smelled like disinfect and something else  he couldn’t distinguish.

Lay followed behind the two men his head bowed down as he looked at the floor. “Your job is exactly what your contracted stayed. You have to heal.”

“Heal who?”

They stopped in front of a metal door, it looked exactly like all the others except this one had a symbol on it. “These subjects are like you, not normal human beings. During the next couple of weeks we will be doing a series tests and studies. Your job is to keep the subjects alive and healthy so we can proceed with the research and testing”

Lay flinched but nodded. “I can do that” one of the guys typed in a code on a keypad that was hooked to the door “if you fail to do so, you will replace him and you will become the test subject. Understood?” Lay nodded again as he opened the door “consider yourself blessed.” He muttered as he pushed lay inside the room.

The room was white with padding on every wall it almost looked like something you’d put an insane patient in. In the corner a guy curled up on the floor on his side, his hair matted with sweat. “Your first patient is subject 35AN” with that the metal door shut behind him leaving him alone with the patient.

Lay walked closer to him and realized he was only a kid, possibly a couple years younger than him. He knelt down beside him and let his hands hover over his body. Something was definitely wrong with him. His mental health was fine but his body was a different story, it was stuck and confused.

The guy suddenly started shaking before he sat up and vomited all over the floor. “Get away” he coughed weakly standing up and walking to the door. “let me out!” Lay looked at him and felt pity. He looked terrified. “35AN I can help you” he muttered.

“What? Just call me Sehun”

“Sehun then, I can heal you” Sehun shook his head “I’m fine I just want to get out, I want to go home or with my Hyungs” Lay grabbed his arm softly as if trying to calm a small child. His face was pale and dark curled formed under his eyes. Sehun started coughing again, blood spilling out with each one.

“Now do you want me to heal you?” Lay asked. Sehun fell to the floor burying his face in his hands.

“Fine, heal me.”