Part 3 - Fire

(X)

His bare feet ran against the cold cement as he tried getting as far away as possible,

They were close and he knew it. He didn’t even get ten feet from the car before the yelling had started. Baekhyun coughed loudly pushing himself to keep running. His sides burned and it was getting hard to breathe. He stopped and leaned forward putting his hands on his knees. He seemed to have lost them for now.

He was lucky that it was nighttime and the street lights were off in this neighborhood. A bead of sweat fell down the side of his head and he wiped it off. Baekhyun smirked slightly These guys couldn’t keep up with him. He was faster. He straightened up feeling proud of himself “not so bad for someone who was stuck in a research facility for eight months” he praised himself.

He started walking slowly this time trying to catch his breath before his lungs collapsed. Nighttime always made him feel safe. No light anywhere, it was a beautiful sight.

“He couldn’t have gotten that far” His heart dropped at the voice and his whole body flinched suddenly making the street lamp above him turn on. “There he is!”

Baekhyun ran trying as much as he could to control his emotions, five more street lamp lit up as he ran under them “!” He yelled, it was as if he was giving himself a spotlight for his own death. Car headlights and porch lights lit up as he passed them. He was lighting up the whole damn neighborhood.

He turned the corner and crashed into someone. “Move!”

“No you move!” Baekhyun was suddenly grabbed by the arm, the guy looked about his age more or less and was about six feet tall, his dark hair matted against his forehead, he had been running too. “Hurry up”

Both guys looked at each other in shock before the other guy ducked into the bushes by them. Another street lamp lit up and he panicked. Baekhyun quickly jumped into the bushes landing on a pile of dirt and beside the other guy.

They both stayed quiet as their chasers approached.

********
(Chanyeol POV)

Chanyeol looked at the guy beside him. Where did he even come from? He had managed to escape the hospital and outside as the two men were called away for an emergency. Chanyeol had heard the word “escaped” he had figured it was a prisoner escaping from jail.

Which had been convenient him because he was able to run the other way. He held his breath as he heard the footsteps come closer. “Patient 2A4N ran this way”

Chanyeol felt the guy beside him flinch, “so did our new patient. Search everywhere. Don’t let them get away” he heard them walk away but he couldn’t breathe. He didn’t dare to. “Are they gone?” The guy beside him whispered. Chanyeol waited a few seconds before answering “yeah… Yeah I think so”

“Great! I think I’m lying on a rock” he groaned standing up, “sounds like they were looking for you” Chanyeol muttered. “Yeah? Then why are you hiding? They said patient and you have a hospital band around your wrist” Chanyeol looked down on it and sighed “I’m Chanyeol you are?”

“Baekhyun. Now if you don’t mind Im gonna keep running” Chanyeol stood up “do you have a power too?”

“What?”

“A power..” He suddenly felt stupid for asking. It would make sense on why they were chasing them both though. “How’d you know?” Baekhyun asked suddenly looking nervous, a street lamp a few feet ahead of them suddenly .

Baekhyun cursed under his breath and turned to Chanyeol “are you one of those guys…Huh? Are you tricking me into going back to that place? I’m not going back!” Baekhyun suddenly took off running. Chanyeols jaw dropped and he took off after him.

“Wait no stop!” He pushed his body forward thankful for his long legs. “Get away!” Baekhyun yelled he ran towards the end of the neighborhood quickly running into a small forest. Is he crazy? Chanyeol looked at his feet, he didn’t have any shoes on.

Baekhyun ran further ducking under tree branches “Baekhyun stop!” Chanyeol jumped over a log, leaves and twigs crunched under his feet as he stepped on them. He couldn’t see anything the woods were too dark.

He looked at Baekhyun and realized his palms were glowing, as if he had a built in flashlight, he shone the light on the ground as he ran. That’s why he wasn’t having trouble like Chanyeol. They both ran deeper into the woods before Baekhyun tripped on a small vine and fell to the floor.

Chanyeol caught up to him gasping for air “you’re fast” Baekhyun groaned and held his knee to his chest. Chanyeol sighed and gave Baekhyun his hand “here” he slapped it away “go away I don’t trust you” he spat.

“I’m not the one you should be running from! I’m like you!” He practically yelled. Baekhyun glared at him and stood up “oh yeah? Then who should I run from?!” Chanyeol pointed behind Baekhyun feeling his eyes widen “them”

Baekhyun turned around and Chanyeol could practically feel his hysteria as he saw the group of men pointing guns at them. They all had dark suits on and each gun had a mark on it that Chanyeol couldn’t make out.

“DONT MOVE!” Baekhyun moved besides Chanyeol “ok so you say you’re like me.. What do you do?”

“What?”

Baekhyun gritted his teeth “what is your power? And please say something useful like mind control”
Chanyeol froze as he saw the group walking closer to them “fire” he whispered. “That’ll do.” Baekhyun grabbed his arm and stretched it out towards the group “do your thing!”

“Now?!”

“Now!” Baekhyun yelled. Chanyeol obeyed and felt his hand grow scorching hot as flames burst out of it, his body temperature rose and he felt Baekhyun let go of him immediately. The dry patches of grass quickly caught on fire spreading them towards bushes and small trees. He had created a wall of fire between them and the group of guys.

Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief as the group retreated but caught his breath as he saw the flames start dancing around the tree. “. This whole place is going to burn! Run!” Baekhyun yelled at him. Chanyeol couldn’t run. He watched in horror as trees as old as the city started burning, the once dark forest now brightly lit in angry flames. “CHANYEOL!”

Chanyeol ignored him and he felt Baekhyun groan and run away by himself, he had done this. He was destroying everything. The smell of smoke and burnt wood filled his nostrils but it didn’t bother him.

He could feel the heat of the fire on his skin but It was his fire. It wasn’t going to do him any harm. It was only going to harm everything else. Chanyeol stood there watching everything go down in flames, he heard fire sirens approaching and something inside him screamed to move.

They would catch him again if they found him in the middle of all this, say that he needs to stay at the hospital again for observation. The two guys would come again this time not letting him go.

“CHANYEOL!” He heard Baekhyun voice again, Chanyeol turned around and saw Baekhyun waving frantically at him Chanyeol forced his legs to move and he ran towards Baekhyun, “we can’t go out the way we came there’s ambulances and fire trucks everywhere!”

“Where do we go?!” Baekhyun didn’t answer instead he ran further into the woods, Chanyeol followed feeling the fire spread after them. If they didn’t get out in time Baekhyun would probably be burned alive. “This way!” Baekhyun yelled, he turned into a small meadow, in the summer it would probably have looked beautiful but it was just a patch of dead grass and old leaves.

They ran across the meadow and Baekhyun led them to a small stream “we’re almost there” they jumped the stream and Chanyeol felt his hands burning. He needed to relax or else this part of the forest would start burning too. They climbed a small hill and ended up in the middle of an empty road.

“Yes” Baekhyun cried falling onto the ground “Never in my life did I think I’d be so happy to see gravel” Chanyeol coughed loudly wiping his face from sweat and dirt. His chest heaved and his whole body ached. “Chanyeol-ah” Baekhyun muttered.

“What?”

“Where do we go now..” They couldn’t go home. Or to a hospital. Chanyeol took out a small slip of white paper from his pocket the edges of it burned from earlier today

“we go here….” He pointed at the address and names “With Kyungsoo and Suho”