Chapter 6

The Escape Artist

I have a boyfriend. I have a boyfriend. And his name is Kim Kibum, or Key to be exact. I am amazed at my ability to court the guy I’m forced to live with. No really, I made a total fool of myself in front of him. I didn’t even know who I was when I met him! Well, neither did he, but still. He apparently only thought it was cute on how I would fail at things. I can’t imagine how. We’ve only known each other for a few days, but it feels like all of my life. So much has happened. I was kidnapped and my memory stolen. Then I had to adjust to being captive, and relearn everything about myself. I’m a ing idol. People admire me and my charisma. Yet here I am, a captive fool with no charisma whatsoever. At least someone likes how I am now.

We sit on the couch watching ourselves, trying to find out as much about our former selves as we can. It is much like before, except he has his arm around my shoulders. I lean onto him and he kisses me on the forehead. I blush uncontrollably. Key smiles at that and we continue staring at the screen.

“I don’t think I’ve told you this, but I think you’re wonderful.” Key says to me. I smirk in disbelief.

“I’m wonderful?” I say sarcastically. I really can’t believe him. I feel pathetic, letting myself get kidnapped when I had this awesome future ahead of me. Apparently I worked with Will.I.Am. How did I just let this opportunity slip away?

“Yeah, you are. You have this badass ‘I don’t give a ’ attitude on stage, yet offstage, like now, you’re so shy and cute, not to mention beautiful.” Key explains, sweeping all of my other thoughts away. I swear my cheeks are a 100˚ right now.  My heartbeat races, and I can’t think. Why does he have to be so charming and elegant?

“SHINee has a song, you know, that goes ‘Nunan neomu yeppeo~~~ (누난 너무 예뻐)”He sings the lyrics softly to me, his unique tone resonating throughout my body. And so we just stay like that for a while, in his arms, watching whatever is on the laptop.

Unfortunately there’s a knock at the door. Key runs up to get it, and I just fall over on the couch without my support. I pull myself up and see Amber walking in. I smile at her and she sits down. She looks confused for a second, before she reaches some sort of understanding.

“Are you two a, umm… a thing?” She asks. I can only smile back at her before Key jumps over next to me.

“Yup. We are a couple.” He smiles a bit as he says this. This is the first time we’ve told anyone about this, so he’s excited. He looks kind of adorable when he’s this happy. It feels a little weird yet pleasant that I’m part of the cause for this happiness. My thoughts get cut off when Amber starts to speak.

“You guys are on the news.” She says solemnly. I’m on the news??? Why would I be on the news? Oh right, I’m a public figure and I’ve been kidnapped. It’s not the strangest thing that could’ve happened. But being kidnapped is pretty strange. Amber walks over and turns on the extremely old TV to the 5 o’clock news. I see my face appear on the screen, along with Key’s and what must be Amber’s.

“You’re an idol too?” I exclaim at her. She just nods and seems slightly surprised that I didn’t know already.

“Yeah, I’m from the same company as Key. I was kidnapped a few months ago but SM just said I’m in L.A. with my family recovering from an injury. I was actually good friends with Key and with Minji from your group.” She states matter-of-factly. I feel the blood rush to my face. I feel so embarrassed that I didn’t know she was an idol. I’d probably met her more than a few times. God damn losing my memory. God damn this awful place.

“I’m sorry that I don’t remember you from before. Blame the mafia.” Key says. He looks particularly sad that he can’t remember his friend, who he seemed to be close too. Amber just shrugs.

“It’s okay. Just try to get me out when you guys escape.” She says calmly. I get shocked again by her statement.

“Why don’t you want to get yourself out? You can get out before us. You’re allowed to walk around even.” I say. Why wouldn’t she want to get herself out? She’s been here longer than us, and she even has her memory. It would only be fair that she gets out before us.

“You guys are fresh, reborn, and happy. I’ve lost most of my energy working in constant fear under them. You guys still have a chance at living a real life once you get out of here. Anyway,” Amber lifts up the bottom of her pant leg to reveal a tracker on her ankle. “They know where I am all the time. I could help you escape, but we would need another way to plan that they can’t see. It would be suspicious if I was here all of the time.”

 

I nod at her, speechless. She’s already lost hope. It’s very sad to even think about. She’s using up her last bits of energy just to save us, because she deems us worthy of living. I already start to tear up so I turn to the TV where the anchors are discussing us.

 

“Three idols now are reported sick and injured, and will be on hiatus for a while. Is there some sort of epidemic going on in the idol world?”

“Sounds like it. It is very disappointing that three of the top groups in the music scene have to function without some of their best performers. Their fans are very upset but wish them well.”

“Some fans are even going as far as calling this a conspiracy. People are claiming things as , pregnancy and even abductions by the mafia to blame for their disappearances.”

“That’s crazy! Still, Amber has been out for a long time, hasn’t she? I wonder how 2NE1 will fare without their leader. It would be quite difficult to perform without CL, she holds a lot of the stage presence.”

“They seem to be stopping all activities all together. It seems to be a hiatus for them like how BIGBANG was when Daesung was out. It’s a shame.”

 

“Looks like someone got the suspicion right.” I chuckle. Key looks dumbstruck at the television and Amber looks unamused.

“They only think we’re sick? Our companies aren’t telling the police? What the hell!” Key explodes. I jump at his yelling and then just stare at him. There’s something in his face when he’s angry that’s very intriguing.  It’s like a spark gets set off inside of him.

“SHHH! We don’t want the guards to hear us! We could get in massive trouble, and you know what that means.” Amber warns. I think of the guns the guards have. They’re the motherf*cking mafia. They can do whatever they want to us.

We sit in silence until a loud bang was heard at the door. The door swings open to reveal two guards. Amber jumps up and makes her way to the door. She walks nervously, obviously shaking. Key and I sit in shocked silence, scared for our lives.

“I was just leaving, sirs. They have a sufficient amount of food.” Amber says meekly. She then scurries out the door but the guards remain.

“Lee Chaerin, you have a visitor.” One guard says with a stern voice. Who would visit me? Is it the other girls again?

A guard grabs me by the arm and practically drags me out of the room. I look back at Key and see his shocked expression. I try to show my distress, but I don’t think he sees. Soon the door shuts and we are walking down the hall to the elevator.

I don’t protest, or even worry this time. Being pulled places by guards is getting kind of normal. Soon enough I’m in the same room as I saw 2NE1 in, but the other girls are not there. Only one middle-aged guy in a hat.

“Hello, Chaerin. Do you remember me?” The guy said, in a calm but slightly annoying voice. Okay, so he knows me, obviously. What is he here for?

“Uhh, no.  Sorry, I really don’t remember anything.” I say. He sighs and puts his head in hand, muttering to himself.

“What are we going to do? Huh… Anyway, I am Yang Hyun-Suk, the CEO of YG Entertainment, the company you’re signed to.” He says. Oh, it all makes sense now. He’s financially responsible for me so he’s here to see that I don’t die.

“Oh, okay. So why are you here to see me?” I ask. Why would the mafia even let him in to see me?

“I just wanted to make sure you’re alright. We’re bargaining with your captors at the moment to let you out. All of the YG Family misses you, and so do your fans, the Blackjacks. We want to get you out as soon as possible.” He says sincerely.

“Are you going to get Key and Amber out too?” I ask. I can’t just leave without them, without my boyfriend.

“They’re with you? Wow, they didn’t even say. They’re not under YG, they’re under our rivals SM. I could certainly talk about it with SM though.” He says, surprised. “And by the way, your boyfriend is coming to see you tomorrow.”

“MY BOYFRIEND?!?” I scream. He looks alarmed by my violent reaction. But seriously, I ALREADY HAVE A BOYFRIEND. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? Who am I dating anyway?

“Yeah, you know, your boyfriend. Oh right, you don’t remember. His name is Kwon Jiyong, also known as G-Dragon. Is there a problem?” He questions. Yeah there’s a big problem. I’M DATING KEY GODDAMMIT.

“Uh, I kinda have another boyfriend?” I say unsure of his reaction.

“Wait, are you dating Key? From SHINee? This is not good. What am I going to tell Jiyong? We can’t have him more heartbroken then he already is. A depressed leader is a bad leader. Then we’ll have to cancel promotions again. Chaerin, can’t you just pretend for a little while? Until he’s done promoting?” He requests. Just then a guard bursts though the door.

“Times up.”

“Well, uh, maybe?”

~~~~~~

A/N: Sorry for the late post. But I hope you all had a happy holiday(s)! And almost happy new year! Have you guys seen the new Etude CF with SHINee and Dara? So close to Taeminzy and Chaekey! And thank you to SHINeeVIPBJ1 for the wonderful banner! And just so you know, I have a tumblr, so you can follow me if you want at http://skywrite-dreams.tumblr.com. Thank you for reading and commenting!