Food And The Clouds

A New Love Can Heal An Old One [REVISING]

Shinhye POV

 

The nerve of that jackass. He’s making my speech more vulgar with every meeting I swear.

 

“How was school honey?” My mom asked while she was in the middle of washing the dishes. I grunted a response afraid I might even bite her head off with the mood I was in. But at least I gently moved her aside to take over the chore she was doing. “Not good I presume.”

 

“Don’t get mad please,” I barely whispered though I knew she could hear me. I shut the water off after I rinsed the last plate. “I skipped school today.” I turned my head expecting disappointment but instead found a bored look.

 

“We all do at some point,” she shrugged.

 

“Not me!” I exclaimed startling my mom. I pressed my back against the sink counter surprised of my little outburst as well. “You’re not upset? I’m not grounded?”

 

“Well I’d be if you got caught, were you?” She asked and I shook my head. “Then you’re fine. But what came over you to do it?” The devil’s face popped up in my head and I immediately glared at the floor.

 

“Some idiot talked me into it,” I admitted.

 

My mother smiled playfully at me and I knew where this was heading. “Was he a handsome idiot?” Yes, but that’s not the point.

 

I groaned at what I was about to spill to her, “it’s the same weirdo that I met at the party. He goes to my school now.” And yup. She squealed and took hold of my arm the way Soo Rim would. “Don’t expect anything! All we did was go to the beach!”

 

“That explains why your hair is dripping,” she played with the ends of my strands. “But how sweet, he took you out to the beach then. Was it fun?”

 

“It was… okay. I can’t say I loved it because I was missing out on an assembly,” I explained. “But I didn’t hate it either.” My mom scoffed at me.

 

“No one cares about assemblies, you went on your first date! My baby is finally growing up!” She beamed.

 

“Who’s growing up? I didn’t allow anyone growing up in this home,” my dad arrived right on time. My mom greeted him with a kiss on the cheek and I couldn’t help but smile at the sweet gesture. “And what first date?” His eyes narrowed at me.

 

I stammered, “uh n-no one important dad. It wasn’t even a date! We just went to the beach on a school day and now I should be grounded!” My parents chuckled at my logic and I can tell from the look in their eyes they found me adorable. “Seriously like I shouldn’t be allowed to go out for the entire weekend.”

 

Go out with me tomorrow.

 

“So it’s settled, I’m grounded right? I’m out of control aren’t I dad?” I turned to him knowing my mom was too easy on me. Well my dad was too but he was the one who carried out the punishments.

 

My mom tiptoed to whisper in his ear and they smiled over whatever she uttered. Do NOT let me go out with that player. Please.

 

“I see no harm in what you did today. Especially if you had fun with your friend,” my father spoke. I couldn’t bring myself to lie to them about not having fun. Because, ok damn it! I had a lot of fun.

 

“Well seeing as I have to parent myself. I am grounding myself,” I took a container filled with cookies from the fridge and walked to my room. “I will be locking myself inside until Monday morning for school. Good day mother. Good day father.”

 

“Have fun with that!” My dad shouted before I closed my door. I laid on my bed with my hand resting in the open container of chocolate chip cookies. My eyes were glued to the white ceiling but all I saw were memories of today. They then turned into memories of Yonghwa and I working together on our marriage project. And him smiling while calling me wifey.

 

Go out with me tomorrow.

 

“You’re insane Mr. Playboy,” I sighed. No Shinhye, it's not a real date. It's a what? A pretend date? Practice date? That boy is crazy. "Which is why I'm grounded and  am not going anywhere with that conceited little-"

 

Knock knock~

 

"Shinhye are you talking to yourself?" My mom asked through the door.

 

"No I'm just reviewing some notes for a test," I lied. Ugh I hate lying. Even though it was for something insignificant and lame. "What's up?" I asked after unlocking my door to let her in.

 

"Tell me more about your day," she handed me a glass of milk for my cookies. I thanked her and decided to describe earlier events including who Yonghwa exactly is. She of course freaked in a good sense and I had to calm her down. "Did you say yes?"

 

"Have you not been listening mom? He's a player!" I shouted. "Why the heck would I agree to him?!"

 

She cleared as if preparing herself to lecture me about her expertise on soap opera relationships. "Be that girl that changes him. Simple as that."

 

I rolled my eyes, "life is not a TV drama. And normally mothers would encourage their kids to focus on their studies. But you're telling me to go out with a pig!

 

"He needs help mom and going out with more girls is not the solution. I'm not going to be that girl," I argued. I am NOT going to be added to some collection.

 

"Okay I'm sorry," she apologized. "I just got too excited now that I'm finally talking about boys with my daughter. Whenever we talk, it's about school. And I always dreamt about having girl talk with you and going shopping and teaching you how to wear makeup." She tucked a few loose strands behind my ear noticing some of my hair was still slightly damp. Well now I feel guilty. I'm not the daughter she wanted... "But let me rephrase what I meant. I'm not telling you to date him, but be his friend. This boy needs a friend and who better than you?"

 

I pouted, "he can be so annoying sometimes mom."

 

"So can your father but I learned to love him," she kissed the top of my head. "You can tell him I said that, I used to tell him to stop following me all the time. But he was so stubborn and it was that stubbornness that I ended up admiring."

 

"How?" I questioned.

 

"Reminded me of myself. His persistence was like my own. Reminds me of you now too."

 

I took her words to heart but Yonghwa and I? In love? I don't think so.. Friends? Ughhhhhhh okay maybe.

 

"Besides, he said it was a practice date right? Go for it!" She encouraged. "I wish I got that leisure, I was so awkward dating. But your father and I did have fun, once we-"

 

I cringed, "ok mom I don't want to know."

 

She smiled and stood up from my bed, "have fun on your pretend date tomorrow." Before she closed my door, she reminded me to wash the salt water out of my hair. After doing exactly that I laid back in my bed and this time I actually reviewed notes for a possible test. A few hours flew by and I passed out with my cheek against my notebook.

 

“What’s up wifey?” He greeted me with that signature smirk. I stopped my eyes from rolling, I suppressed a groan and bit my tongue back from cursing him. Then actually smiled. “Someone slept on the right side of the bed last night.”

 

“Sure,” I replied. More like my mom’s talk softened me up. “Where are we going?”

 

“Anywhere you want,” he answered. I was surprised at this really, I thought Yonghwa was the man in the relationship. Shouldn’t a guy lead in a date? Even if it was for pretend? “Anywhere but home,” he added.

 

“You choose since you’re my ‘teacher’ here I guess,” I suggested.

 

“Park it is then,” he grinned. “I got a picnic prepared actually.”

 

“Then why did you say anywhere I wanted?” I asked.

 

“To consider wherever you wanted to go. I’d be fine with cancelling whatever I had planned to do what you want to do,” he explained. And yet another surprise from Jung Yonghwa. “Let’s hope your future guy treats you like this too.”

 

“Right,” I looked away and focused on the scenery outside my car window for the rest of the ride. It was quiet, he didn’t talk about his history of girls or Daehyun like he usually did. Instead he let me relax in the silence I was comfortable with. It almost tempted me to speak up this time as we arrived at the park. “What do you have prepared exactly?”

 

“Lots of food,” he said going into the backseat after parking. He had a rolled up mat for us to sit on, a portable cooler and a big bag. When we were situated, he pulled out more food containers from the bag. There were a range of sandwiches, fruits and of course-junk food. “I didn’t know what you preferred so I went with everything.”

 

“Right choice,” I blurted, my eyes raking the beauty laid out in front of me. My stomach growled loudly and I was worried of salivating over the watermelon slices. An hour later, Yonghwa and I are laughing over a variety of topics while munching on all of the snacks. My stomach felt hard after laughing quite a lot so I laid on my back. Yonghwa did the same keeping a comfortable distance from me.

 

“Having fun?” He asked.

 

“Surprisingly… yes,” I nodded. “Though I could be studying right now.”

 

“Do you want to study?” He asked.

 

“For the first time. No,” I answered. “I feel like laying here for a long time and staring at that elephant shaped cloud until I fall asleep.”

 

“You mean dog shaped cloud,” he corrected.

 

“Nuh uh it’s an elephant,” I defended.

 

“You don’t know your clouds,” he scoffed.

 

I laughed, “you don’t know your animals!”

 

“Well I know my food and this..” he reached into a container without looking. “Is a cookie!” He exclaimed holding up a glazed donut. I laughed at him of course. “See it’s a cookie.”

 

“That’s a donut,” I shook my head.

 

“And next I’ll get… a strawberry!” He picked at random once more and finally found the cookie. “Wow, I sure am psychic.”

 

“So a donut is a cookie and a cookie is a strawberry now,” I chuckled. “How lame.” He pouted after I said that and I can’t believe it but I found him to be cute. “You’re lame,” I repeated.

 

“But this cookie isn’t,” he stuffed the fruit into my mouth. I coughed at the sudden action. “How’s it taste like?”

 

“Like a strawberry!” I chewed what I could in my mouth while laughing. “I’m eating a strawberry!”

 

He broke off a banana from its rack and handed it to me. “Have a marshmallow with your cookie,” he offered.

 

“You’re losing it,” I refused. “But you can have an apple,” I played along by giving him a slice of watermelon.

 

“Are you crazy? That’s popcorn,” he stated. “Silly Shinhye,” he began packing the food as I yelled at him. We bantered for a bit over who was crazy until we decided we both had lost it. Yonghwa drove me home knowing full well I was satisfied for the day.

 

“Now how was that a practice date?” I questioned as we neared my apartment.

 

“It was as real as any other date would be,” he answered. “Well, at least a date with me.” When will the surprises end today? He parked in an empty spot closest for me to walk up the stairway. “Don’t study too hard wifey,” he waved as I left his car. I climbed up the steps and noticed he waited for me to enter my home before leaving. Like a gentleman. Damn it…

 

I quickly turned my key into the lock, not wanting him to wait too long and pushed the door open. With one last smile he backed out of the parking spot and drove off. “Bye...hubby,” I said under my breath.

 

“Shinhye!”

 

My eyes shot open and I cleaned my dried drool off the corner of my lips. “What?” I asked a bit disoriented.

“Your date’s here,” my mom told me.


A/N: I wonder if this chapter is okay ^^ I made it as fluffy as I could without overdoing it hopefully. Sorry that their date was a dream though~ Their practice date will be coming up in the next chapter. It's like 3 a.m. for me right now and there's a dragon fly in my room, and since I'm sensitive when it comes to bugs I figured I just update~ 

Hopefully I can get some sleep soon though and I'm sorry if I haven't updated fast as I used to, a family member of mine got into an accident :c But I'll do my best and thank you for sticking with me and reading my yongshin story! 너무 감사합니다! 용신 화이팅! 

P.S. If there's anyone who loves making those cool fic posters, would you like to make one for this fic please?