"Bit full of yourself, aren't you?"

Prettier Than You

[Words that are spoken and italicized "like this" means it's said in Chinese! Otherwise, regular conversation is in Korean.]
 

Yibo did not want to go to school. All 181cm of him would have preferred to stay in bed, under the covers, away from human contact. It was a particularly nice day to sleep in, he decided, ignoring that his phone read 7:34AM with just 26 minutes to spare till school starts. He woke up with light rain drizzling outside just making everything cozier and the weather cooler. He was so close to closing his eyes again, ready to fall asleep, when his phone began to ring excessively. 

Annoyed, he answered the call and kept it on speaker phone. 

"Wang Yibo~" An overly enthusiastic voice came on. "Wang Yibo, get your out of bed."

The sleepy boy recognized the voice to belong to Sungjoo- he was the only one who could possibly be that excited this early on in the morning, along with Seungyoun. There were some additional noises in the background, before another voice came up, at a slightly higher pitch with even more enthusiasm than before.

"Dude! We're outside your house already, you're not skipping school today, it's the first day of our last year in high school!" 

Yibo groaned, "why are you hyper in the morning, Seungyoun?" 

"We passed by Mcdonald's on the way over and I got myself some ice cream," Seungyoun replied back, and Yibo could almost see the bright smile on his face. Who orders ice cream for breakfast on a rainy day?

The phone was apparently passed over to Yixuan, because the next voice that came on was really deep.

"Yibo, you have 10 minutes to get ready or else we're dragging you out. Don't forget Wenhan has a key to your place."

"I'm going to need more than 10 minutes to get ready," Yibo replied, but already he was getting up and walking towards his closet. So much for an extended day of vacation. 

The last voice to come up on the phone was Wenhan's, and it was a simple "you know you'll look good regardless of how long it takes you to get ready" which managed to earn a small smile from Yibo even if his friend couldn't see it. A loud beep signified the end of the call.

Ah, yes, his looks were to die for, weren't they? Sure, all of them had good looks- they weren't considered the kingkas of the school for nothing. Sungjoo and Yixuan were in charge of the manlier aura of the group (Wenhan would argue that he was the "real man" of the group, but everybody disagrees.) while Seungyoun and Wenhan had more boyish features. Meanwhile, what was Yibo in charge of? He took the role of being the prettiest member of the group. 

Actually, Yibo had won the title of "Prettiest Student" (elections were held every year- it used to be "Prettiest Girl") ever since he got into Yuehua High. The rules were changed specially for him. The other guys, his childhood friends, namely Yixuan, Sungjoo, Wenhan, and Seungyoun also made a name for themselves with their good looks and high status. The five of them easily achieved kingka status soon after, and just like your usual high school scenes, their fan base began to grow.

After a quick shower, Yibo threw on some clothes and took one last look in the mirror. When he deemed that he looked presentable enough, he made his way downstairs to where his group of friends were waiting in Yixuan's car. He pulled up his hoodie to avoid the rain and shuffled towards the waiting car where he was immediately pulled in. 

"Took you long enough," Seungyoun said as a form of greeting. "Let's go!"


The five friends made their way inside the school, just like in those mangas, with sparkles around them and something like roses following their footsteps.

As usual, there were fangirls shouting.

As usual, some of them were taking photos, throwing gifts at them, or even fainting.

As usual, the boys of the school were bored out of their minds and constantly wondered what is it with those five guys?

However, a few boys would be shouting Yibo's name.

Yibo on the other hand, kept a blank face as he entered the school. Eventually, the daily routine with their fans got tiring. Girls throwing themselves at their feet got annoying. Letters in their lockers got out of hand. At least, this was Yibo's preference, as the other guys didn't seem to mind the attention. Wenhan was even a little sad that this was going to be their last year together as a kingka group in Yuehua. 

"It's your last year to win the Prettiest Student title, too," Wenhan said when they were all settled in their home room class. Class had already started, but nobody really listened to the usual first day sermons since it was almost always the same. Plus, there was the feeling that they were all senior students now. Even if graduation was still months away, they could already feel it. 

Yibo shrugged, flipping his golden hair out of his face, "maybe I could start it again in college."

"Bit full of yourself, aren't you?" Sungjoo commented with a laugh. 

"It's true anyway," Yibo replied, flashing a quick smile.

"Ei ei, did you guys here though?" Seungyoun said, capturing the others' attention. "There's a new student in our year coming in."

Yixuan blinked, "a new student coming in senior year?"

"Is it a girl or a boy?" Wenhan asked immediately.

"No idea, but--"

"Class, settle down, we have a new student coming in," the teacher suddenly announced.

Sungjoo grinned, "I guess we're about to find out."


I'm thinking about writing the fic from Yibo's perspective since I wanted to try something different and not make it the female point of view. I hope it turns out alright. Here's the first chapter so far! Nothing much happening yet, yeah, but soon! O u O 

Here's this update's dose of "please stay for Yibo":

EOOOOOEOEOOOOOEOEOOOOOO