Shine On Me

Tú Madre

It was a Friday night and here was an auditorium filled with professional musicians, singers, performers and administrators from performing arts school. Everyone was dressed proper, so prim. To think this was all for a concert performed by talented kids yet there were so many important people who took the time to see them perform. A concert that Wendy was performing in.

 

Irene remembers the day when she took Wendy out for a one-on-one time when she was 4 years old. She figured that since her husband spent most of his time with Seulgi and she had to put majority of her attention on baby Joy, Wendy must have felt neglected. After all, she is the middle child.

 

It was like yesterday when she asked Wendy what she wanted to do for the day and the child replied with "SAM ASH!!" so eagerly. Wendy was always a big fan of music. Ever since the age of 3 when Irene caught her sitting close to the TV screen watching a documentary about Mozart with the remote in her hands while Seulgi had her head leaned back on the couch with her emotionless teddy bear on her lap. She just knew what Wendy wanted. She knew her kid was gonna have the passion and love for performing arts and Irene was willing to support child no matter what.

 

As soon as they entered the store, Wendy dashed into the band & orchestra section. Irene didn't mind that her child left her side because a few seconds later, Wendy came back and dragged her to band & orchestra section as well. Wendy then continues to stop at each instrument and praise each and everyone one of them. It was moments like these that made Irene's heart swell and content in being a mother. Then she saw the price tag of each instrument and cried a little inside but she was still willing to pay it all just to continue seeing that smile upon Wendy's face.

 


 

There was no doubt about it that Wendy would feel rage as she saw her older sister open her Christmas gift to see a guitar in it. It wasn't just ANY guitar. It was her father's old guitar he would play from time to time in family reunions with their uncles and aunties.The guitar he let NO ONE TOUCH. And to find out he gave it to her dumb sister Seulgi made Wendy want to smash it to pieces. Instead she punched Seulgi's face which caused her to be sent to her room and grounded till the end of Christmas break. Irene was just as annoyed at her husband for pulling such a move on the family. She knew his favoritism was gonna be a problem for the kids but it wasn't Seulgi's fault that she was the closest thing to a son he will never have. Irene took the initiative to check up on the punished child and found her sitting on the edge of her bed with her head on her hands pouting.

 

"Hey." Irene said in a comforting way. She was hoping she came out calm after arguing with her husband about his insensitivity. The child didn't bother looking up, for it would only make her cry. Disappointing her own mother was one of Wendy's fear.

 

"Sweetie. I understand you're furious right now after seeing—that, but you can't punch your sister like that." And here comes the waterworks.

 

"BUT SHE KNEW HOW MUCH I LOVED AND RESPECTED THAT GUITAR—"

 

"But Seulgi doesn't have control of the gifts she gets now, does she." She said in a cool manner. Wendy answered with a muffled "no."

 

"So does that give you permission to punch her?"

 

"No.."

 

"See. Now when Seugli comes back, apologize to her, okay?"

 

Wendy gave a weak nod and remained silent as Irene wiped the tear off her face.

 

"Be patient Wendy. Your time to shine will come too. Just you wait okay?" Irene gave the poor preschooler a kiss on the cheek and a tight hug. As she exited the room, she saw the oldest walk towards the room with a pack of frozen peas against her eye. She pretended to leave the two girls alone but really she was outside eavesdropping in case anything got crazy.

 

"Just came to get my socks. Gotta send this angry letter to Santa." Seulgi said as she put on a pair of socks as fast as she could so she wouldn't get hit again. Wendy bit her lip and tackled Seulgi to the ground. Irene was about to step in but stopped when she heard Wendy wailing once again.

 

"I'm sorry for punching you in the face for no reason! I'm so sorry! I love you and you're my sister and best friend and I don't wanna lose you! I'm SORRY! PUNCH ME IN THE FACE SEULGI! PUNCH ME IN THE FACE!!"

 

"No,you big dumby! I'm not gonna punch you! You have every reason to be mad. I know how much you wanted that guitar so I understand why you did it. That's why I wrote a letter to Santa telling him that he sent the wrong gift to the wrong person. Even though I really wanted dad's guitar too, I know you want it more than I do and deserved it way more than I did."

 

"Really? *sniff*"

 

"Yeah man. Wanna come with to the mailbox and send the letter with me?"

 

Wendy nodded her head and she got dressed as well. This was another moment when Irene was glad that she is a mother. Even though it's a hassle a lot of the time, it was still worth it.

 


 

Present time

 

Irene knew she stuck out like a sore thumb in the auditorium compared to the other parents and adults that were attending. Most of the parents here had either a teenager with them or their child was performing. Unfortunately Irene had three kids with her. Two of them being a 7 year old and the other a 4 year old who are loud and the most rambunctious ones in the whole auditorium.

 

"Mommy. This dress is too itchy!" The youngest complained constantly as she squirmed in her seat.

 

"Mother, are we getting food after this? I'm starving and I'm really not up for seaweed soup again." The second youngest voiced as she glared at the old gentleman that in front of them, turned around to look at them. Irene saw and apologized for her kids' behavior.

 

"Oh no worries. I had seven of them so I understand. I just turned around to give some bags of doritos I got from that kind young man over there. Seems that he gave a good handful for an old geezer like me. So here, have some."

 

Irene gave a sincere thank you as he gave them each a bag or doritos, That got Yeri to stop whining and Joy to somewhat smile a little but she still gave an intense glare. Before Irene could say anything, the girls already gave their thank yous.

 

"Thank you mister!"

 

"Thanks old man."

 

He smiled and turned back forward. As the other two opened their bags of chips, she heard the fuss being made as her eldest came to her after lounging around the lobby for a few minutes.

 

"Hey mom, could I get 75 cents? I wanna get one of those cool sticky hand jelly things. I'll be real quick, I promise." Irene hesitated to answer a yes but saw the amount of time left for the show to even begin. So she dug in her wallet and gave her three quarters and shooed the girl.

 

"Thanks mom!"

 

"Hey egghead, get me one too!" said Joy.

 

"Get one yourself, loser." Seulgi responded as she stuck her tongue out and squeezed her way out of the packed row. A few minutes later the show started and the other two cheered like crazy. Irene tried to hide her embarrassment but it was useless. There was nowhere to hide.

 

After the second performance, Joy began to complain.

 

"This is ssooooooooo boring. When is Wendy gonna show up?" Irene knew that was a rude comment, but she couldn't help but agree. It was tiring hearing kids play slow jazz and a bunch of Beethoven's symphonies she used to sleep to back in her high school days.

 

"Well according to the pamphlet—"

 

"There's a pamphlet? Where'd you get Seulgi bear?"

 

"A cute lady gave it to me. Don't worry mom, I didn't steal it...maybe.."

 

"Can I see the pamphlet Ddeulgi?"

 

"No, I'm seeing it first Yeri."

 

"Joy, stop! You're ripping the pamphlet!"

 

"Girls, quiet down. And Joy stop being so needy. Carry on Seulgi."

 

"It says here that Wendy will perform next with the orchestra band and later will perform solo." They all silently cheered in their seats. Irene and the others were finally going to hear the songs Wendy has been practicing for the past 6 months. It was a thing Wendy did. She kicked everyone out her room for 2-3 hours everyday because she didn't want any of them to hear the songs she will be performing at her recitals or concerts. She said she wanted to surprise her audience with a big bang and she never failed them.

 

"I wonder what she'll be performing this year."

 

As the other gig came to set up, Yeri, Joy and Seulgi cheered very loudly as they saw Wendy sit in the midsection with her flute. Wendy looked up and gave a little wave to her sisters and prepared herself. It started off with the little piano melody from Harry Potter. Turns out the song they played was the Hedwig Theme Song from Harry Potter which was great.

 

Soon after it was Wendy's solo performance. They all anticipated for the girl to play. It turns she played some sick beats from both the flute while beat-boxing at the same time! Wendy was playing the 1st beat from the "

Three Beats For Beatbox Flute" by Greg Pattillo". Irene was so bewildered and amazed. She really does wonder how Wendy, a child prodigy, is her kid. As Wendy ended the performance, everyone stood up and gave a round of applause to the ten year old girl. Her sisters were yelling "That's MY SISTER!!" "WENDY!!" and "YOU'RE SO COOL EVEN THOUGH YOU STILL OWE ME THAT CHICKEN NUGGET PIECE YOU STOLE TWO WEEKS AGO!!".

 

After the concert ended, Wendy spotted her family and was given a great big hug by the four of them. They all gave their praises and compliments to Wendy as they walked out the building and headed to McDonalds. Once they sat down, they began fighting once again but Irene didn't care. She was too happy and proud of her daughter Wendy.

Wendy waited for her moment to be shined on. And indeed she did.




 



 

Hello folks! I know it’s been a while but here! I got to slip in this today just for you guys. As you can tell by the ending, I gave up a little simply cause I felt like I was already making longer than I should have. It’s just there’s so much to be said about Wendy but ugh. Later.


Also for those of you who protest about Park Bo Gum, don’t worry guys. I liked Irene as a single mother. I just took a suggestion from two commenters about Park Bo Gum of him being a boyfriend but that doesn’t mean it’s gonna be a permanent thing. Trust me, I got this. Ight peace, hope you enjoyed this.