Four.

All Around the Bowl [ DISCONTINUED ]

The days were slow but not too uneventful. Kyungsoo continued on his internship and only thought about Yifan when he would call to tell him good night. He was eager to see what Qian and Zitao had planned for him for his birthday being it was only a day away. At first he was sad not being able to spend it with his boyfriend but then having friends who care more makes the day just as or if even more special for him.

With a sandwich in hand and phone in the other, he thought it was a good time to text Mark being he was bored and that bugging the younger at university was the better option than dealing with Yifan’s stupidity. Besides he had to know if he was okay

To: Marky Mark

Are you in class right now?

From: Marky Mark

I just got out. What’s up?

To: Marky Mark

Just wanted to talk to you is all J

From: Marky Mark

Can I call you?

Kyungsoo figured things were not okay when he replied with a simple yes and not even five seconds after pressing the send button, his caller ID lit up with the latter’s number and picture.

“Speak to me my dear friend.”

The voice on the other side was silent for a bit, breathing being the only thing and what sound like a door closing in the background, must of went somewhere private, he thought. There was a loud sigh before Mark spoke, “Its Jackson.”

Figures. Kyungsoo’s ears has heard this name many times before, more in the sounds of sobs and whimpers lately. He knows what the other did, the pain he caused and how damaged their relationship was, he just wished Mark could get over this guy but he even knew it was not that easy.

“What did he do now?” Sandwich aside and now at his desk where he began to organize files but attention still on Mark over the phone.

“Well remember the last time you came to the shop? That night I got a picture of him kissing Youngji and then a load of replies saying he was sorry and he missed me.” He said softly.

“Did he say anything when he came home?”

“…I-I’ve been kinda avoiding him, Soo.”

“What do you mean by avoiding?” Mark could see Kyungsoo lifting both his eyebrows and giving him that look of explain yourself. “You see every time I look at him it breaks me so much that I just stay in my room until he leaves or falls asleep. He knocked on my door this morning but it was locked and I didn’t answer.”

“Have you even attempted to try and talk to him?” Kyungsoo asked softly over the phone.

Mark was silent for a few moments, only his breath that sounded hard and short, “It hurts too much. I’m not ready. I-I can’t…”

* * * * *

Yifan laid on his hotel bed flipping through files of papers with the background noise of Korean news occupying his ears. The meeting and talks of display sample for the company’s latest advertisement was a success and even ended three days early. It seemed the CEO of the cosmetic company was overly excited and pleased by Yifan’s work and accepted the sample as the final product.

It gave the Chinese man a boost of confidence and a reason to by himself a drink and use the rest of the business days as a personal vacation. His ticket couldn’t be exchanged for an earlier time so why not take advantage?

As he thought about the days to come, Yifan heard his cell phone go off on the night stand to his left. Reaching for it and unlocking it, he scrolled through the notifications and saw he had a missed call and a text message from Kyungsoo.

From: My Penguin

Just wanted to check up on you and see how the trip is going.                                                                                                                                                         I wish you could come back sooner… I miss you.

A smile creeped up on his face after putting his phone back down. Yifan had almost forgotten about Kyungsoo and his nightly text having been too busy the previous days. It felt nice to get a text from his cute boyfriend though this time it wasn’t the usual mushy words and countless heart emojis. The text felt bland, forced even and Yifan couldn’t put his finger on it.

He had a strange feeling after that sudden text that there was something he was missing but only brushed it off as he started to fell asleep.

* * * * *

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!” It seemed all the employees of Blossom Ramen had come to celebrate Kyungsoo’s 23rd birthday. It was quite a surprise when the birthday boy got confetti in his face and a kiss on the cheek from Qian. Her appearance after weeks of not seeing her had him in a crying fix and clinging to her like a small child.

“Oh Qian I have missed you so much! Please don’t shut me out again!” He said with his face resting on her chest, arms tightly around her as he cried. Qian hugged him with just as much love and let a silent tear run down her cheek. They didn’t mean for the atmosphere to get to gloomy and sappy but they hadn’t seen each other since the news of the Huang’s loss. Kyungsoo just wanted his dear friend to know that even on his day, he would be there for her.

After a long hug and another kiss to his cheek the rest of the party goers came too huddled around to give out their own congratulations and small gifts of cash. Kyungsoo would have never thought he could have so much fun at a get together in a Ramen shop.

It felt almost unreal at all the friends he made with his time here, even with Zitao practically tripping on his own feet when he came out from the back with a white cake in is hands and one big candle in the dead center as he began to sing happy birthday with the rest following.

The smile on Qian’s face was perfect, Mark, Jia and Jei with dumb party hats on was even too great not to forget. As he blew out his candle there was only one thing he could honestly wish for that could make this night just one step better.

If only Yifan had cared enough.


Thought it would be only right if this was uploaded for Kyungsoo's birthday! Happy Brithday my squish!<3 

*rough edit