Three.

All Around the Bowl [ DISCONTINUED ]

The gates to the shop were closed tightly with Zitao locking up and Mark holding the gates until they were secure. “Thanks for taking Jia’s shift. I know you have class in the morning so you should hurry home.”

“Ahh it’s no big deal boss. Kinda need the money since the rent went up this month.” He brought up his hand to his mouth and breathed warm air to avoid freezing his fingers off as he watched his boss lock up the door.

Zitao took a few steps and placed his hand on the other’s should with a light squeeze, “Go get some rest and call me if you need anything.”

Mark couldn’t help but smile with a slight nod before they said their good-byes and went their separate ways. The walk home was surprisingly quiet, peaceful almost despite the snow on the ground from last night’s blizzard and the air getting colder. It was a good thing his apartment was only a few blocks away and his warm bed waiting for him gave him his motivation to walk faster. His day was tiring and with the semester picking up only after a few days Mark figured he will be at the library more than home.

Home, Mark thought, realizing what he was actually heading into. Would it be another day of fighting or will it come to utter silence? He knows what is waiting for him and for the past two weeks he has dreaded walking up those steps to his two bedroom apartment and seeing the man he loved pissed drunk or nowhere to be found.

The night still haunts him when he had come home from work late from the shop because of a broken window. After a long day and wanting nothing more than to have his boyfriend hold him, what Mark got was to find Jackson and his ex-girlfriend ing in their bed. His and Jackson’s bed. Needless to say Mark yelled at them both in a crying fit and ran out the door ignoring Jackson’s cries to come back as he ran back to the shop. A harmless night of fun, in which he gave the okay to Jackson to go, turned into Mark’s worse nightmare. A few days after the incident and countless text messages and calls from Jackson they had met at a café and things were settled. Sort of. They had decided after much protest from Jackson that they would separate, a break if one wants to call it something but Mark would not kick Jackson out of the apartment. He was angry at the other but not enough to leave him out in the street since Jackson had no friends he could room with in Shanghai.

When he opened the door the lights were off and the air was cold. Guess he didn’t come home tonight. Jackson had taken their separation agreement to heart and continued to sleep with Youngji. For the first few days he came home drunk and yelled at the older but after a while he was out most nights. Mark wasn’t mad, there was no right since they weren’t really together anymore but he just thought Jackson would have fought for him longer than a day.  

Unfortunately that’s just how things are for them, Mark turning on the kitchen light and seeing nothing was touched. No coffee mug in the sink or textbooks about astronomy laying on the table like before. It was an atmosphere Mark got use to far too quickly. He picked up an apple from the fruit basket but shutting of the light and moving to his room.

It was a time like this Mark had never been more thankful in his parents for convincing him in renting a place with two rooms. The guest room was not his, having moved out of their shared room since being in the place where his trust was broken made his heart ache.

The room was smaller but it was a place where he felt safe, away from the heartbreak and into a state of hopeful peace. He threw his bag at the foot of his bed and began to undress his uniform that smelled of seafood and green onion and tossing it into the hamper. A simple black t-shirt and clean pair of boxers was his choice of sleeping wear as he always hated wearing pants to bed. The space heater was and Mark crawled onto bed with his phone in hand. I can take a shower in the morning.

He searched through his social media accounts and local news site making sure he was caught up in local and world news affairs. While he read an article about China’s air pollution a bright notification of a message popped up. On auto pilot he opened the message, thinking it was Jei since she had an addiction of sending random things to him when she got bored, and regretted it after taking a small glimpse at the photo that was attached to the message;

From: Jackson~<3

Don’t they look so cute together?

It was a photo of Jackson and Youngji kissing and holding each other close. It was obvious that someone else had taken it and hopefully it was meant for the eyes of social media, not him.

Even so Mark dropped the phone to the ground and refused to hold the tears begging to be released. He turned over in his bed and cried into his pillow. The wails of pain muffled by the fluffy cotton filled the room. His body and heart were aching so much and all he wanted was to be held and kissed by the man he betrayed him.

After a few minutes of crying Mark’s phone vibrated on the floor. He was reluctant to pick it up but did so anyway when the phone got multiple notifications. A few swipes and there was five new messages from Jackson;

From: Jackson~<3

Oh god I’m so sorry!

From: Jackson~<3

Yixing had my phone and didn’t mean to send that it is an old photo!

From: Jackson~<3

It’s not what it looks like okay? I’m not even with her!

From: Jackson~<3

Babe… please answer me.

From: Jackson~<3

I miss you.

Mark couldn’t understand how Jackson suddenly cares again, after countless night of coming home smelling like perfume he now decides to show a little weakness and beg. His feeling of sadness only worsened from the others words. The phone went back to its place on the floor with the messages going unanswered. He would not give Jackson the upper hand of him crumbling. All he wanted now was to sleep in hoping all this madness was just a nightmare.


Long time no see hehe^_^ This is a rough edit so forgive the mistakes as they will be fixed soon!