Food-chain

Blood Ties

 

Ah-joong isn't really isn't sorry but she apologizes anyway because she can see the way Wang Junghee flinches at any sudden movements. Maybe she came on a bit too strong. For someone who came off as a queenka, she'd maybe misread Junghee. "If not you, then who's really in charge around here?" She questions and the latter begins to explain the complicated hierarchy of Myeongseong High School. 

Go Bok-dong is a name Ah-joong recognized the moment she heard it. Her crew knew that name, she just never realized that Gangnam's top school gang fighter was the boy who'd intervened earlier. He was known for being a good fighter, with ties to real gangsters, but not much else was known about him. She notes to take this opportunity to do some recon and learn a thing or two about the mystery iljin.

The real jjang of Myeongseong turns out to be Class President Hong Sang-tae. Not because he's strong or a good fighter, but because his father owns the foundation that founded the school. He's top of the school in manner of grades and everything else, thanks to his name and his family's money.

According to Junghee, Hong Sang-tae is someone who can even get rid of staff he dislikes. Students are nothing for him. Getting on Sang-tae's bad side results in Go Bok-dong getting rid of the unfortunate victim. The pyramid or food chain, as Junghee calls it, works a lot like the way Ah-joong's father's system does, but not nearly on the same level.

"Our school is different from other schools in that way." Junghee explains, "Not knowing about it can make your school life miserable." Ah-joong can understand that. Though she herself has never been bullied, thanks to her reputation and who her father is, but she'd seen plenty of people suffer from it in her last few schools.

"Either way, Bok-dong is the muscle of Myeongseong. Then he's the one I have to handle." She says it to herself more than anyone, but because she says it out loud Junghee replies. "It's true that he's the muscle of our school, but I don't think he's the one." Ah-joong an eyebrow at the girl. "Then?"

"Hong Song-tae likes Oh Ah-ran, but she had something going on with Jin Yi-kyung--" Ah-joong scoffs, crossing her legs and glaring, causing Junghee to cower a bit before continuing more carefully. "T-that's why he let the others bother Oh Ah-ran a bit. But, Go Bok-dong knows the Class President likes her. He wouldn't do anything then." According to the facts that would make it the case, but something about the challenge in his eyes before has her gut set on him.

"Even if it is Go Bok-dong," Junghee starts, "It's best not to bother him." Ah-joong smirks, "Why not?" The girl looks around a bit before continuing, "He's got connections to real gangsters. He's a really scary kid, if he catches you, it's--" She clicks her tongue and slashes her hand across her own throat-- the knife.

Those words do little to intimidate Ah-joong though. Her own father is the head of a mob and she can fight just as good as he can. What could he bring that could possibly phase her?

~

On her way out of school she overhears the new teacher, Park Songsaeng, arguing over her possible explusion with Do Songsaeng. Listening to his speech really ticks her off. Going on about how things should be handled according to the rules. That the school is the kind of strong guardian that will protect students. Then why didn't the school handle things for Ah-ran when their mother came and threw a fit? Why didn't it become the guardian he was preaching about for her sister? Does he actually believe the coming out of his mouth? Or is it all for show in front of the naive new teacher? Ah-joong isn't sure, but she knows she's heard enough blabber.

As she's walking down the steps of the high school she spots Go Bok-dong and decides to follow him. She would have gone undetected too, despite a couple close calls, if not for Park Songsaeng suddenly approaching her. When Ah-joong turns back to her target he's got this annoying smirk on his attractive face and he drags his thumb across his thoat in the 'you're dead' gesture before walking away.

Damn this stupid teacher. She thinks as she follows him to a bakery near the school. He has good intentions, as he tries to get to the bottom of what really happened, but Ah-joong isn't concered about being kicked out just because of Do Songsaeng. The hypocrite is nothing incomparison to her father. If makes getting to the bottom of Ah-ran's case difficult, then her father will come and set things back into her favor, as he always has.

"I understand you want to help me out," she tells the kind teacher. "But, do things as the rules imply and I will handle the rest on my own from there." Park Songsaeng looks a little bewildered as she continues. "Like Do Songsaeng was spouting earlier, the school should be a guardian and defend kids according to the rules regardless of who it is."

The teacher nods, "I agree with you wholely, Ah-joong ah, but it's your first day and you have to be given an opportunity to be taught these things before dismissing you completely. Even if it's my first day as well, I can tell that you didn't start a fight unprovoked with two students that don't even sit near you simply over a messy desk."

Ah-joong relaxes in her seat, "Then you're smarter than you look, Saem." She says, taking a drink of the sweet, vanilla latte he'd brought her. "But, you've got the order all wrong." Park No-Ah looks a little confused. "Who started it or why isn't the problem here. Us students, we can tell who's stronger from the start. Whether is was our fault or not, what really matters is who's got better backing. The powerless ones are the only ones who really get punished."

"School is not a place like that. It's supposed to be a guardian. It assesses the situation, based on the gathered facts and acts accordingly. This only works properly if everyone is telling the truth. It's not a matter of who is weaker or stronger." The teacher tells her, and he's right. But, life doesn't always make things that simple. "Wrong again. Even school is like that. If you're a nobody and you go up against someone with backing, then you lose. And, if a guardian doesn't do it's job to protect, then you've got no choice but to protect yourself."

On the bus on the way to meet her friends, Ah-joong scribbles in a notebook over names that could be related to Ah-ran's incident and circles Bok-dong's name, recalling what he'd said to her this morning. "Stop messing around. If you keep doing this, I may kill you."

At the usual restaurant she sits down at a table occupied by four other girls and two boys. "Ah-joongie!" The eldest of the girls and her cousin, Joohyun, calls and waves her over to sit down between her and their Ice Prince, Kim Myungsoo, who she'd met in remedial school. The latter doesn't greet her, but instead wordlessly feeds her a samgyupsal lettuce wrap. Ah-joong gives him a pat on the shoulder as she chews and greets the rest of the group.

Next to Myungsoo is Kang Haneul, a boy she's known since elementary school. Beside him are Seul-gi and Seung-wan, two girls that she attended middle school with. And, lastly the youngest of the crew, Myungsoo's younger sister Ye-rim sat across from Ah-joong.

They all great each other happily, not having seen each other in the past couple weeks, Ah-joong in particular because of her sister's incident. As she explains the situation to them, Haneul perks up. "He even has connection to gangsters?" Myungsoo gives the topic his full attention, "What gang?" Ah-joong doesn't know, so she tells them as much. Seul-gi huffs, "This just keeps getting bigger and bigger."

Ah-joong shoots her a determined look, "I don't care if he's some gangster's son or the ing president's. I've already come this far, I may as well finish it." The two boys nod along with her in agreement. She's always been one of the boys. Despite each member of their group coming from dark or violent backgrounds, the ladies always tend to be the more merciful of them. Even Joohyun, who's mother comes from the same blood as Ah-joong's adoptive father is not as cruel. The Hwang's are known to be cold in every single cell of their biological make up. Despite not being blood related to Hwang Jihoon, Ah-joong is his daughter through and through.

"What about Ah-rannie?" Questions Ye-rim from across the table. Ah-joong sighs, "She's the same. Doesn't look at anyone and doesn't speak." Everyone can feel the elder sister's anger and sadness in relation to her half sister. Though it's out of character for him Myungsoo throws his arm over her shoulder, "Catch him and we'll teach him a thing or two about fear. I'll make it so that he's afraid of even Oh Ah-ran's shadow." Seung-wan nods in agreement, "If you get the bastard, Ah-ran will start talking again."

 


 

Added a few people that aren't present in Angry Mom to the cast of my story, just to switch it up. This includes the four other members of Red Velvet (since I'm using Joy as Ah-joong's inspiration model. I also decided to make Ah-joong's nickname Joy in dedication.)
                      

As well as Kim Myungsoo (L). For Myungsoo his character is similar to that of the Ice Prince persona he portayed in Shut Up: Flower Boy Band

                     

For Kang Haneul his character here is similar to his character (as Minho's sports rival) in To The Beautiful You.

                    

And, one other person (who will be revealed in the next chapter) as Ah-joong's bodyguard of sorts.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment or subscribe!!