Sister

Blood Ties

 

That night Ah-joong goes to see Ah-ran at the hospital. She'd heard from their mother, though not in full detail like she had to Jihoon, that her younger sister is going through tough times. She'd cut her hair and wouldn't speak to anyone. True to their mother's word, Ah-ran says nothing.

Normally there's the same odd stand off-ish vibe from the younger. Like her older sister, she also has a bit of an attitude. Ah-joong can understand that, it runs in their blood. Ah-ran is a smart and studious girl, while Ah-joong is a trouble maker who could care less about grades. It makes sense for them not to get along. What Ah-joong can't understand that is why she's always a bit crass toward Kangja. After all Kangja had kept her, the person she calls father is really her father. Why does Ah-ran need to be angry at their mother?

After sitting there in thought for a moment, Ah-joong gives her younger sister a one-over. They both take after their mother, it's practically like looking in a mirror for the two sisters. They have a three centimeter height difference, Ah-joong being the taller one at 163cm. Ah-ran always kept her hair natural, long and straight, until she cut it recently. But, Ah-joong's hair is long and strawberry-blonde, almost ginger, and it's often wavy. Aside from those major differences, the sister's look almost identical. They each have big eyes and mono-lids, proud noses, and pouty lips. Ah-ran has slightly sharper features. A slimer chin, eyes that are sharper at the outer corners, like her father. While Ah-joong's are more like Kangja's, softer. Her face is a bit more round, but her body is also a bit more shapely as the elder sister.

Looking at the younger, sweeter, better version of herself Ah-joong feels angry again. Who dared to lay their hands on her little sister? Even if their fathers are different, they come from the same blood. Ah-joong has no intention of letting this pass.

"Ah-ran ah," she calls but, the younger barely responds. Ah-joong tilts her head to look out the window and continues absent mindedly, "Should Eonnie teach those kids at school a lesson?" Ah-ran doesn't say anything, but she doesn't need to. The elder's already made up her mind.

When she gets home the first thing she does is interupt her father before he goes to bed. "Appa!" Ah-joong calls, startling the normally intimidating gang leader. For a moment he looks annoyed, until he sees the determined look on her face. "Yes, uri ttal?"

"Should I enroll at Myeongseong for senior year?"

~

"Please take care of me, my first students!" The apparently new teacher, Park No-Ah, announces to the class as Ah-joong looks around. At first glance she can already see who the annoying lot will be. In the back of the room is a cute girl with a big mouth that's constantly moving, even as the teacher speaks. Rude. According to the other teacher, Do Songsaeng, her name is Wang Junghee, probably the queenka or something. Infront of her are two scatter brains, one who's more concerned about her beauty than her brains, and another on a lollipop like an absent minded twit. The rest of the students appear average, aside from one asleep in the back row, one staring blankly out the window, and another in the farthest back corner of the room, who looks like he has annoyingly big ego.

"And, this is the transfer student." Do Songsaeng says, once the new teacher is finished, directing his arm toward Ah-joong. "Introduce yourself." She nods, walking over to the podium without hesitation and placing her hands on it. All the students, aside from the one sleeping and the one staring out the window, focus on her. She notices the way a few people perk up once they get a good look at her, the boy with the big ego the most. She's not surprised, considering how similar she and her sister look, aside from the hair of course.

"Hi, nice to meet you." She begins confidently, "My name's Hwang Ah-joong." The response is pretty standard, the male students give a little cheer at having a new girl in class. Everyone else claps out of obligation, but there's also hushed collective whispering as Do Songsaeng interrupts and compliments her name before telling her where to sit.

Before Ah-joong can do so the girl who'd been staring out the window the entire time interrupts. "No! That's Ah-ran's seat!" That gets Ah-joong's attention, as the rest of the class audibly scoffs. She directs her gaze from the girl to the empty desk, which she can see has writing on it. "When Oh Ah-ran gets back, we'll have a new seat." The teacher says, but Ah-joong is looking at the girl, "We don't know what's going to happen, since she's such prologed unexcused absences." It would appear that no one here knows that Ah-ran is in the hospital, but more over the one responsible, doesn't know exactly to what lengths they went. And, that does not sit well with Hwang Ah-joong.