The Hypocrite's Lair

Blood Ties

 

It's needless to say everyone in the classroom and all of the spectators are more than shocked to see the transfer student putting the new teacher in a headlock. Talk about a bad first day. But, Ah-joong treats it like nothing and goes back to her impromptu interrogation.

"Say that again." She demands and Bok-dong's hand flies up to grip her wrist, her grip is getting a little tight. "Yah, transfer student? Are you crazy?" he deadpans. "Not that, what you just said a moment ago!" Ah-joong's eyes are wide, her mind is running a mile a minute, and the only thought on her mind is destory. "If you keep doing this," she quotes, "Say that again!"

Park Songsaeng grips her arm, which is wrapped around his neck, "Ah-joong ah, let go first and talk with me for a bit--" She shoves the teacher away from her before he can finish and keeps her glare trained on Bok-dong. Now that her arm is free again she's ready to teach him a lesson, like she'd promised Ah-ran.

"Yah," she says cynically, "It's you isn't it?" Bok-dong is getting uncomfortable under her choke hold on his throat and tries to loosen her grip again, it makes her even angerier. "That's the same thing that guy said. It has to be you!" And, without hesitation Ah-joong delivers a powerful punch directly to his cheek bone.

A collective shout sounds through the classroom and hallway, made by the students watching. Go Bok-dong is the muscle of Myeongseong high, this girl doesn't know what she's getting herself into. With only a second to process the hit, Bok-dong blocks her as she runs at him a second time, holding her forearms as she tries to punch, hit, and scratch at him in a fit of fury, but Park Songsaeng seperates them.

At the door the Class President, Hong Sang-tae returns to the classroom only to witness the intriguing new girl in a physical fight with his right hand man. Beside him a curious Jin Yi-kyung watches as well, wondering who the mysterious transfer student is and how she's connected to her best and only friend, Ah-ran.

Without a care of anyone around her, "It's you, isn't it?!" Ah-joong continues the onslaught, shouting as she does. "Yah! You're dead today!" The manner that the teacher is positioned leaves Bok-dong's face unprotected and she narrows in on the opening, backing up in order to direct her fist. But, she miscalculates that the teacher could move and ends up landing her punch directly in his face when he gets in the way.

Ah-joong is a bit surprised, but not detered. She makes a sounds of annoyance and moves to strike Bok-dong again, but Park Songsaeng stays between them. She reaches around, yanking on his tie, as he gets ahold of her forearm. With his free arm he shoves the teacher away and drags her toward him, finally about to make a move of his own, until suddenly Do Songsaeng is at the door and surprises everyone with a sudden, distracting slam.

Bok-dong stops, turning to look at the man in charge, his fist poised to punch. Everyone freezes. "Sit in your seats." He demands, but Ah-joong only sees the distraction as an opening and proceeds to land another punch on Bok-dong. Park Songsaeng shoots forward to seperate them again as everyone collectively flinches. They're going to be in so much trouble.

~

In the administation office Wang Junghee, Hwang Ah-joong, and Go Bok-dong are lined up infront of Do Songsaeng along with Park Songsaeng. "So because of that insignificant thing you started a fight on your first day of school?" Do Songsaeng questioned in disbelief. "Because the desk was messy?"

Behind her back, Ah-joong clenches her fists. Is that insignificant? So they already know about the desk, then they know that Ah-ran was being bullied, yet the staff did nothing to help her and nothing to prevent it. Did they pass that off as insignificant too?

The new teacher tries to stick up for her, after all it makes sense. Who's more likely to pick a fight? Two students who are known to pick on other kids, or a transfer student that just arrived that day? Do Songsaeng asks Junghee, and then Bok-dong. But, they only say minute things that don't blame her or defend her. He next asks Ah-joong to say something, but she doesn't. All she can think of is the insignificant desk and how her sister must have felt.

As the two teachers argue back and forth, Ah-joong's mind slips away into another dimension, thinking of Ah-ran. Did the students here always treat her like this? The teachers as well? Was her smart, beautiful, good sister treated like she was insignificant?

Something that Do Songsaeng says pisses her off, "Violence when the teacher is present makes no sense." As if violence in school is fine, is okay as long as the adults can't see it. It makes Ah-ran lock eyes with him in challenge. "If you say it that way you make it sound like violence when the teacher isn't present is fine."

Again Park Songsaeng tries to step in, but she doesn't let him, "Then as long as we get hit when you're not looking, it's alright? Because if there's no evidence then it's my word against theirs and the only choice I have is to transfer out."

Before Park No-Ah can stop her, or she can continue, the principal comes out of his office complaining about the fight. He proceeds to whack Bok-dong on the head as well, as if it's not counter productive to their speeches about the use of violence in school.

They're sent back to class so that the teachers can discuss a course of action, but to be honest Ah-joong isn't worried about expulsion. With a little pressure from her father, all the teachers would forget it ever happened, it wouldn't be the first time she's used him to intimidate school staff. In the hallway when they exit Go Bok-dong stops ahead of her and glares when she stands beside him, like he has something to say to her. But, instead he gives her a dirty look and walks away, trying to appear intimidating. Beside her Wang Junghee thinks that it means she's free to go too, but she's mistaken. As she leads the frightened girl up to the roof, Ah-joong decides she's tired of this place already, it's no wonder her sister has been hospitalized. She feels like she'll go mad here too.