Part one

a fool

I was born in the simple happiness. My parent was the best, they're everything to you've been dreamt. We're not rich, but we're not poor either. It was heaven 'till I turned into 14. A car crash killed them, leaving me alone. I wonder why I am still alive while they were gone, disappear completely from my life. An since that, heaven was not my place again, it is hell now.

It started when my hospital door was open harshly by a man. A man in his late forty, a scary man with aura that were ready to kill people.

" So, Lee Jinki...right?"

"Yes, sir." I answered him full of fear

" Well, I'll make this simple young man. I'm your grandfather, your mother's father. Since your mother marry your father without my blessing, I forced her out. Now, she is dead, and since you're the only connection I had with her, I have to take care you. Don't call me grandfather, call me sir. I'll provide you with everything you need, and don't dissapoint me for taking care of you. I'll wait you in the lobby, you don't need my help, right?" I nodded and left me quickly.

Grandfather... I never thought that I had one. My mother once spoke fondly of her father.The man with iron appearance but soft toward her. He was so kind, and I thought he was already dead, because my mother talked about him with glassy eyes, holding her tear to not fall.

Maybe this is the reason why she was always in the verge of tear...

Because grandfather rejected her and her family...


I was deep in my thought when the car suddenly stoped in the door of a very big house. Never once I dream of living in the kind of house like this, the house that look like palace, yet felt so cold. I pulled out my luggage and following my  grandfather.

" Starting from now, you live here. Your room is in the first floor, the maid will show you. Few days later you will enter a new school. Don't call me if you don't need anything or if there is no good news. Don't go to my room either. When it's time to eat, you should go to the dining room, there is no contact between us  if there is nothing important. Understand, kid?"

"Yes sir." He continued his words, " Follow the maid and go to the dining room after that." With that he left me alone.

A maid which seems in her late fifty, kindly helping me with my luggage and showed me my room. It was a big room after all, half of my house could be fit there. She unpacked my things and put it in the appropriate place.

I felt a little happiness and familiar scent

" Lee Jinki, right. Ah.... you are so handsome, just like your mother. She was a pretty girl. My name is Kim Haesook, it's okay to call me aunt Kim, and this room was your mom's before"

Ahh.. that's why I felt like this, it was my mom after all. Her presence here, was trying to help me, to make me happy

" Aunt... do you know my mother?

"Yes, of course. I took care of her since she was born and before she was married. She once sent your picture to me, and it was so lovely." She smiled happily

" So... do you know why my grandfa... I mean that sir hates me and my father?" I asked full of curiosity

"Well," she answered nervously," your mother was being stubborn by rejecting an arrangement marriage and married your father without your grandfather's knowing. Your father's reputation was bad at the moment, he was lazy boy, a playboy, people with no future."

" But, it's not right. He was a hardworker and loving man to me and mom." I denied strongly

"Marrying your mom changed everything. In the early marriage, I saw the tears on your mom when I came to visit her, but months changed and your father turned into a loving man. But I guess your father was too angry with your mother. It was until your mother dead that he agreed to take care of you. Because deep down in his heart, he loved you. Be patient with him Jinki." She hugged me tightly..

Mom, please help me to melt grandfather heart


A few days living with my grandfather was like I am living alone. In the dining room, we ate in silence. There was no conversation like my family used to do. Before I went to my new school, he suddenly told me.

" Tomorrow is your first day of school. Don't make problem. You can take a bus or take walk right? Since I won't provide you with transport. If you want to earn something, do work. Nothing come freely and easily. "

I was shocked with his words. I guess, he still held hatred to me. I just nodded with everything he said. With that our dinner ended.

 

Finally, I reached my new school with the bus. Indeed, it is a famous school. I must make my grandfather proud. On my way to the teacher's room, a girl bumped on me hardly. Without apologizing, she just went and grumbled about something. I opened the teacher's room door and told them that I am a new student. One of them get up and me to my class. In my class, while I giving introduction about myself, my eyes catched someone. It was the girl who bumped at me, looking at me with curiousity. The home run teacher told me to sit next to her, and slowly I walked there.

I put my bag and sit. I reached out to her, " I am Lee Jinki, nice to meet you."

"Park Sunyoung, nice to meet you too. Sorry about the meeting earlier, when I bumped into you. I was so pissed with my grades so I passed on you without apologize. Once again, I'm sorry."

"it's okay, everyone has their bad days." I assured him with a smile

 

Years has passed already, and today is my graduation day from this school and honestly, I like this school. My grades is the best out of all my friends, Sunyoung is my best friend. She is a friend with bright and spoiled personality. Everything is about her, and it makes her being a ambitious girl. It is understandble given she is the only child, heir of a building company. So, she is living a fairytale, like a princess, showered with love and money. It is different from me, years living with my grandfather, the great Choi Jinhyuk, I realized how rich and powerful he is. His business is involving many aspects that I can't list one by one, yet I can't enjoy any of it. Not that I complained,but I felt that my grandfather always thinks of me as a burden. The dinning room was the only place where I've been able to meet him. And when I tried to show up my grade, he just told me not to get satisfied easily without looking me. Everyday I study hard to  be the best, yet he never appreciate it. I worked hard to get the scholarship, because I don't want to burden him with my living cost. He said that nothing come easily, so, after my school, I worked on a coffee shop near my school. I  dreamt of buying my grandfather something that I earned with my money. When I gave him in the dinning room, he just put it beside him without looking at him. I was thinking, maybe he would open it after we finished to eat. But, when I left, he put in the trash. That night, I cried hard. I am a man yet the rejection was too painful. So, I vowed to myself to be the best, so he can be proud at me once, which honeslty, it seems impossible.

Sunyoung was very bad at chemistry, which explained the first time I bumped into her. She was very upset because her grade in chemistry was hitting the low bottom, and it pissed her off. As hard as she tried to take a course to understand chemistry, her mind was just closed. So, when my first  exam in chemistry got the perfect score, she screamed at me, asking me for tutoring her, which I did happily, becaus every day is a new adventure with her, and when the time passed by, I've realised that I've fallen with everything about her. It is my first love. But, she is ignorant about my feeling, she is too absorbed in her life, and I was forced to hear when she got a boyfriend, when she through a break up, when she got kissed, when she had a dinner, and I am trying to smile although it was painful.

The graduation is very crowded, many family come to see their beloved ones graduated. I saw my grandfather was sitting in the donatur chair, and after the graduation was over, he just went without notice, without came to me. The only people came as my guardian is aunt Kim. I try to be happy, because at least one person comes for me. Years living with grandfather, I got closer to the maids, especially aunt Kim, not my grandfather. I come to her.

" Thank you for coming aunt Kim." I said with a smile, trying to hide dissapoinment because of my grandfather wasn't coming.

" Sure, I'm glad to come, and your speech up there was so good. I never thought your grade was that amazing so you chosen to be valedictorian. Your mother was smart too. But someone came with higher grade and bet her to be a valedictorian, and it was your dad" She said with amusement face.

" It's just coincidental aunt, so my mom and dad were from this school aunty? But you said my father was a bad boy." I said with confused face

' He was, but he was also the smartest student here. Maybe that's why your mother fell for him."

Graduated from the same school with them, it makes me happy...

Suddenly a familiar called me and approached me ," Sunyoung," I said," this is my aunt, aunt Kim." she bowed at her

" I never see your family, Jinki. It's the first time I see them." Of course none of my friends never saw my family. The only living member of my family is my grandfather, and he never attended any invitation from my school for guardian. He appeared in my school as one of the donatur, which explained why I can enter this school. But, he never admitted me as his grandson, simply signed me up here for charity case. So, I tried my luck by signed for scholarship, and got it because of the achievement I got for this school, in and out. Still, my grandfather kept his stoic face and hatred for me, never said anything and this graduation is a prove how he wanted to stay away from me.

" Jinki," Sunyoung asked me, " which university will you attend?"

"I... I want to be a doctor Sunyoung, but still I don't know if it is a good choice. What about you?' I answered shyly

" Well if it is you, sure everything you do is a good choice hahaha. Well I'm trying my luck to be an architect. I wish we could be in one university though, so I can share and ask for your help." She said with a big grine

Well I am used to do to be a broken heart for her, and I'm willing to do it over and over again for just to be near her.


"Jinki", grandfather's voice surprised me," Yes sir."

" Since you're already graduated, I want you to involve in my company. So, take a major where you could do well. It could be business or engineering."

" But sir, could I be a doctor?" I scarred of him

" Are you trying to be a rebel, young man? Rebelling won't cause you any good. Listen to me well, except if you want to get out of this house, it will be your business." He left me alone

I'm not scarred of living alone, I'm sure I'll be fine. But I don't want to leave my grandfather alone. Not before both of us make an amend and he will allow me to call him grandpa. I'll follow his instruction, I will burry my dream to be a doctor and sign up for business or engineering. I won't disappoint him.

 

" Jinki!!! I am surprised you've got accepted in the architecture department with me. You said you wanted to be a doctor right? So why you signed up in this department?" Sunyoung asked with curiousity

" I don't want to leave you alone. I'm afraid you can't survive without me, so I follow you." I joked , and I receive a punch in my arm as the result

" Not funny!", she frowned," But since you're being my classmate again, you have to be with me. You're stuck with me."

Yes I am, since our first met, I am already yours, trapped in your maze of illusion about love, when they called in unrequited love

You're the one that  make my favorit food doesn't taste delicious again...

 

In our first year, Sunyoung already attracted attention from many boys, I used to be jealous everytime, and like that, I will hold my feeling and try to smile, although it tears me apart. Sunyoung ignored them all, and when we're in our second year, she came to me with happy face

"Jinki...." she talked sweetly, and I knew it must be about some guy, might be the hot senior that he's been crushing on

"Who is he Sunyoung? Just tell me..."

"You know me so well Jinki, I'm surprised haha. It is Kim Kibum, our senior. He asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes." She said with big grin in her face

My heart was shattered again at the moment. She looked so happy and beautiful, the smile was so pretty, but it was for another guy, a guy with good physically and characteristic. I'm quite sure that Sunyoung already liked him for very long time.

" Congrats Sunyoung, I'm glad for you." I faked a big smile in front of her.

 

Sometimes, when she goes with her boyfriend, I will tag her along. Her boyfriend is very kind and mature. I think they're fit for each other.

" Jinki", Kibum asked me

" Yes hyung, what's up?"

"Well, you've been Sunyoung's friend for a long time. I'm sorry if this question hurts your feeling, but do you ever like her?"

His question shocked me," No hyung, I just consider her as my little sister", quickly I lied to him

" Well, I'm glad if that's the case. I like Sunyoung very much, and someday, I want her to be mine, if our hearts don't change."

He is indeed very mature for his age. And I just nodded with what he said.

 

Sunyoung was walking toward them from the bathroom when she heard the conversation. When she heard what Jinki said, that she was just a little sister, she felt a little anger and jealousy. It made her question her true feeling for Jinki.

On my last semester, my grandfather suddenly asked me to work in his company, as an employeer there. I followed his order because I don't want to piss him off. Morover, I  want him to let me call him grandfather, which was quite impossible till now, since he was getting cold hearted to me. It's a rare occasion to find him in the dinning room, I was left eating by myself, accompanied by silence. When he didn't go to the dinning room, usually he would his dinner in his room, or in his office. It seemed that he was avoiding me, and it broke my heart. Now, the opportunity to be near him is in front of his eyes, and I didn't want to dissapoint him.

Working with my grandfather, although as an employeer, is enjoyable. I quickly make friends with some staff without them knowing my background. Still, my grandfather kept hiding my identity from anyone. None of the people outside his house know my existence as his grandson, even Sunyoung didn't know it. She just know a little bit story of my life, about my parent's death and living with my grandfather. Which is quite ironic since my grandfather and Sunyoung's parent are partner in business. I am starting to enjoy being an architect. Designing dream house of someone, I wish I could design that for me and Sunyoung too.

 

" Jinki," my grandfather called me in the company

" Yes sir, what can I do for you?" I am confused with him, suddenly called me.

" You show your quality, and I am quite impressed. Tomorrow, follow me into a meeting. You just an observer. Give an opinion only if I ask."

I left his room with a little happiness, because at least he started to accept me.