Not Again

Her Side of the Story

Chapter 4: Not Again

She never expected it to be better. As long as she’s there, she will always be the witch and that didn’t change even after she admitted defeat. But she stayed as she is, phlegmatic and shut out.

Even after the conclusion of Jinhwan and Suhyun’s story last week, things still doesn’t change. Some cornered her and spat viciously at her. And at times, she remained invisible. There may be some who saw a new light from her and befriend her but she always turn them down. She thought of it as hypocrisy. She, who had been damned in all her high school life, knows better than to fake a smile to someone who used to slap her for being the hindrance. 

She chose to just be out of it. She chose to stay as how she was even before she liked him – cold, unemotional and nonchalant. Because she was always that way and it should be better that way. But that doesn’t stop her from wanting to get the crown – not from being Jinhwan’s girl but being top of the class. Consistency was one thing she valued. She wanted to be consistently at the top. 

“You didn’t eat dinner.” Her mom entered her room with a glass of milk she place on her study table as she was writing her notes for her finals.

She didn’t bother to look up and see that it’s already 2 o’clock in the evening. “Can’t you at least knock?”

Her mother just stood there arms crossed on her chest. She was used to this disrespectful child in front of her because Hayi learned it from her. She didn’t even feel surprise when she learned of Hayi’s struggles at school and with her classmates, she just felt responsible and worried. She felt that she couldn’t even teach her daughter how to like a guy properly when all she has was a fail marriage and a divorce trial every month.

“It’s 2 o’clock in the morning already. Why don’t you go to sleep?” Her mother asked full of concern. 

“I can’t sleep. Besides, you took all my sleeping pills. What is there for me to do?” 

Her mom sighed at the stubbornness. “Okay. Just try to go to sleep once you’re done studying.”

Then her mother left her room. She might felt stupid for saying those things at her mother but she knows that her mother was used at her being that way – all rude, and disrespectful. In fact, she blamed her mother. She blamed her for making her father got snatched by another woman. She hated her for being a workaholic. And she hated her for telling her to just let go.

She didn’t, however, sleep. She stayed up and decided to take the shower. As soon as she had finished taking a bath their housemaid had already prepared her breakfast in her study table. Growing up, she had been already taught that you are always alone and there’s no one you should easily trust. From a family where business is their wealth, connection and mergers are their ‘friends’, she became well aware and became used to the fact that she would wake up and have breakfast alone. Her mother goes to the office at 5:00 AM, her father –who was now with another family, maybe having breakfast with them – had been always in business trips, and her older brother, the one she used to be with every morning in front the table, was now married off to some company’s daughter.

She savored the smell of newly cooked pancakes, bacon and eggs in her plate. She’s still somehow lucky that someone in the house knows what she wanted to be served for breakfast.

When she arrived at school, some of her classmates, mostly girls, have been huddled up in a circle talking about a certain bag that their mothers were currently on the waitlist for orders since it has just 25 pieces in stock. Usual morning scene for her. 

When she reached her desk, she set her bag on the table to take out her pen. One of the girls in the circle, scoffed while looking at her. “How did she have that?”

She knew what they’re talking about. One of the 25 pieces of the luxury bag was on her desk containing her things. People always get too over reacting on things.

“Oh my gosh! Isn’t that the bag we’re talking about?” the other peered.

All the girls’ eyes were on her while she nonchalantly sat on her chair and wrote. “No that’s just Hayi, getting all arrogant again.” One of the girls bitterly interjected before they proceeded to talk about another topic.

A minute later, Suhyun and Lalice entered the room. Both stopped to glance at Hayi who was now have earphones on her ears staring out the window.

Suhyun and Hayi were never friends. Hayi, being the one who wanted to be alone always, didn’t even spare a welcome to her when she transferred to her class. Way before they have this rivalry, Suhyun and Hayi just passed by each other on the hallways after locking eyes awkwardly. Suhyun always had the first good impression at Hayi though Hayi could care less about her existence until she became close with Jinhwan whom she met through their debate club. 

Until the class ended, Hayi was just silently sitting in her chair. She rarely talked unless she volunteered to answer their teacher’s question about a lesson or sometimes to retort at their classmate’s banter at her. Hayi stood to go out of class to use the washroom when she abruptly stopped in front the door. Jinhwan was about to enter their room to ask Suhyun something which he hid his real motive from – to see Suhyun. They caught each other’s eyes but it was Hayi who immediately looked away and started to walk out the door.

Suhyun saw the exchange but immediately smiled as Jinhwan walked up to her chair. “What are you doing here? Go back to your class.”

“We still have 20 minutes before the next class. I just want to tell you that Hanbin’s mom invited us to her birthday luncheon today. It’s just a small lunch date. Hanbin will be there, too, but Lalice couldn’t” he looked at Lalice who just smiled. “You wanna come?”

“Will she be there, too?” she asked and she knew that Jinhwan knew who she’s pertaining to.

“I don’t know. But there's nothing to worry about. Our issues are settled already remember?”

Suhyun just nodded. 

----------------------

“What? No, Mom, you can’t make me.” She told her mother on the other line and then hung up.

Her Aunt Min Jung, Hanbin’s mom, invited them to her birthday luncheon. At first she agreed knowing that his mom used to buy her dolls when she was little and the closest friend her mother has. But after knowing that Jinhwan and Suhyun was also invited she refused. She knew better than eating together, smiling fakery at the two. 

She looked at her chauffer waiting for her to get in the car. Grunting in frustration and matching the heat of the scorching sun at noon, she dialed Hanbin’s number. 

“What? Don’t tell me you need my help.” Hanbin looked at her dryly as she heard his voice behind her. 

She hung up as soon as Hanbin did. “I can’t go.”

“So? Why tell me? Tell mom.”

She bit her lip, frustrated and guilty. Hanbin raised an eyebrow at her. He knew she’s troubled because of the couple. He walked towards the car and opened the door. “If you’re not coming, I’m going to use your car since mom told me to just hitch with you. But since you’re not coming-“

He stopped talking and just scoffed when Hayi furiously pushed him away the door and entered herself.

When they arrived at the restaurant, Hanbin and Jinhwan’s parents and her mom were already enjoying their chats. And as if cue, she replaced her frustrated face with a bright smile. Hanbin just looked at her; at how she would always fake everything in front of the elders. 
After a series of hugs and greetings, Hanbin proceeded to sit opposite to Hayi and beside his father. On the end of the table, Hanbin’s mother, Minjung, with her chin rested on the back of her clasp hands watching the two teens. 

“Oh, where is Jinhwan and her girlfriend?” Minjung asked.

Hanbin stole a glance at the uncomfortable Hayi before answering her mother. “They’re on their way.”

Marga nodded then shifted her eyes to Hayi. “Hayi, dear, I heard you’re the first in your class?”

“Really?” Hanbin and Jinhwan’s dad chimed.

“Yes Auntie.”

“Wow, I was really surprised when I heard that from your mom.” Minjung grinned at Hyeyoung. “Hyeyoung-ah, you must be very proud.”

Hyeyoung, knowing her daughter’s discomfort of being the topic, nodded and smiled. “I am. I didn’t even know until I called her teacher for her report card.”

Just then, Jinhwan - holding hands with Suhyun - entered. “I’m sorry we’re late Auntie.”

Minjung looked at the couple. “My my! Is that your girlfriend, Hwan-ah?”

“Yes, Auntie.” He proudly said. Hayi looked away, fist now gripping the table cloth. “This is Lee Suhyun, my girlfriend.”

The elders had dug in more questions about the couple. And the more they get to their story, the more furrowed Hayi’s eyes were. When she had enough, she stood up from her chair abruptly making the others looked at her.

“I need to go to the CR. Excuse me.” 

When Hayi was out of earshot, Minjung turned to her son.

“Why didn’t you bring your girlfriend, Hanbin?” It was his father who asked, snapping Hanbin from looking out at Hayi.

“She’s meeting her parents before they fly to Australia for a business trip.”

“Oh, I see.” Minjung nodded.

They eventually talked about the business boring the three teens. When Hayi got back from the C.R., Minjung straightened and hit her wine glass with her spoon three times. Hanbin just took a glimpse at his mother before returning to boringly playing with his steak.

“Ladies and gentlemen, since this is my 45th I am proudly happy with the present Hyeyoung had given me.”

Hayi looked at her mom, unaware of the said present.

“I have been asking Hyeyoung for that present ever since she helped me from my depression of losing my second son. However,” she smiled dearly at her friend and held up her goblet at her. “yesterday, she gave me her sweetest yes.”

Hyeyoung, and the rest of them giggled at Minjung’s statement.

“What’s that present, Minjung?” Kangja, Jinhwan’s mother, asked.

Minjung looked at both Hayi and Hanbin, smiling. “An engagement between my son and her daughter.”

All but the four teen gaped at Hanbin's mother.

“NO!” Both Hayi and Hanbin stood up.