Stopping And Starting

Her Side of the Story

Chapter 3: Stopping And Starting

 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” shouted by the crowd as they tossed for the guy clinking glasses with his girlfriend.

Everyone seemed to forget the mini brawl that afternoon featuring the typical, teen drama between the celebrant, his girlfriend, and the antagonist of their story. However, there’s someone getting bugged of the whole scene he had witness in front of his eyes and the honestly between it.

“Hey, are you alright?” Lalice sat beside Hanbin who was watching the whole celebrating from the table in the corner of the club, drinking his own shots.

He looked at her girlfriend, the only one who could break through his indifference once in a while, and smiled. “Yeah, I’m just tired.”

“Well, you could rest a bit. I’ll just go with Suhyun.”

He nodded and followed her with his gaze until she reached Suhyun who was laughing with Jinhwan. How someone’s happiness could cost others, he thought. He leaned back at the couch and stared at Jinhwan. He couldn’t understand how he couldn’t hate nor like Jinhwan after all that happened even though he’s his friend and cousin. Growing up with Jinhwan and Hayi, he really thought that they would eventually get together. He always thought that like Lalice, Jinhwan was the only one who could break through the ice princess’ bubbles the thing that he had difficulty in that why he tried to leave himself out from the two. Now, all he could think was Jinhwan breaking that bubble and leaving the ice princess’ miserably putting up that bubble again.

It was past 9 PM but the crowd was still getting thicker and thicker as if it’s only the start of the party. The dance floor was going ecstatic with excitement and alcohol all over the place. 

Hanbin decided to get out and breathe some fresh air since he was getting stuffy with all the people – the thing he’s not good with. He leaned on the left wall from the door watching the still busy streets of the city. Not long after, a familiar black car parked in front of the bar. From the car came out Hayi carrying the shopping bag he recognized as the one that contains the shoes she bought yesterday.
He hurriedly walked up to her to stop her from even reaching the door. He noticed that she dresses simply for someone who wanted to cause havoc to a party with her beige camisole and black fitted pants. “What are you doing here?”

She just looked at him plainly and tired before she pass by him and proceed to the door. Though she didn’t break any glass or slammed open the door, it was as if she entered the party loudly enough to get all attention to her. There were gasp, and mumblings which will eventually became a gossip as soon as the sun rises tomorrow. Hanbin stood at the door while Hayi stood almost near the dance floor where Jinhwan and Suhyun’s small table was placed. Jinhwan looked at the commotion as soon as Suhyun stepped up from getting a drink from the bar counter. Jinhwan looked at Hayi before he nodded at Hanbin who in turn dragged Hayi out by the arm.

“I’ll be back.” Jinhwan had to assure Suhyun before he followed the two.

Hayi pulled her arm from Hanbin’s grasp as soon as they got out of the club, Jinhwan following behind. “So you’re their bodyguard now?” She spat.

It was Jinhwan who spoke up. “What are you doing here, Hayi-ah?”

Hayi put up a straight face before smiling. “Why? I’m not even allowed to greet you a happy birthday?”

Unable to swallow the hypocrisy, Hanbin decided to guard the door not allowing the people from inside to get out and amuse them at the drama outside.

“Stop this already, Hayi-ah.”

She laughed dryly. “What? I’m just here to celebrate with you! What’s wrong with that? Even that, you will deprive me with? Where did those 10 years of friendship that we just shared?”

Indifferent. Hanbin thought that she never seen Hayi acted really like an antagonist desperate for that one guy. For all those that happened with the three, Jinhwan, Suhyun and Hayi, he used to leave unable to witness the drama and this was his first time.

“I want you to be happy for me, Ly.”

“No, can’t. I can’t be happy.” She choked and then she held up the shopping bag.

Jinhwan felt silent while Hanbin just side-glance at the two. 

“I can’t be happy as long as I see you happy with her.” She started.

“But I’m giving you up, Jinhwan. I’m tired. I’m giving up.”

Both Hanbin and Jinhwan stared at her and her sudden statement; Jinhwan being surprised while Hanbin being empathetic.

“I’m giving up.” She said, but there wasn’t any tear threatening to roll down her eyes. Even at the end she tries to cover her hurt with her expressionless face. 

Before she went inside her car again, she placed the shopping bag in front of Jinhwan. “Treat that as the last present I will give to you, as a friend and as someone who used to like you to death.”

She spared Hanbin a look before she entered the car and ordered to be driven home. The next school day, gossips concluded a happy ending for Jinhwan and Suhyun’s story and Hayi became as invisible as she could be.