Roses

Dreamer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

October 2011 - In Kari's dream

Kari leaned her back against the oak tree, observing the swan family that was swimming around in the lake. She inhaled the cool autumn air while running her hand through the dead leaves beside her. She hugged her knees in the process, over thinking a particular work that keeps recurring in her life lately.

"V, can I ask you a question?" She asked, looking up at the amber sky, watching the clouds drift away in the northern direction.  In response, a breeze of wind blew some dead leaves from the ground beside her into a fantastic swirl.

"What would be a great definition of the word 'love'?" She asked, curious to know the answer to this question. She was quite young, and had not got a great understanding of the word. "I looked up the definition on Google but it's still unclear to me."

The sun in the sky was slightly blocked by the altocumulus clouds, making one light ray shine like a spotlight over the Swan family. She watched in awe asnthe two adult swans made a love heart with their long necks. She sighed, with a dreamy smile plastered on her face. 

"You make things better than they really are." She accused him, with her head rested against her knees. Picking up one of the leaves she ripped it slightly, watching little bits of it falling back on the ground. "I want to know why this love is so praised upon. It doesn't seem that great, it doesn't offer help to the people that need it in this world, like food do the starving, or medicine for the injured. All I see it being as is constant conflict, physical connection and company of the same individual." 

Kari frowned, thinking back to the argument between her parents had a day ago which resulted in her father storming out. He still hasn't returned home. She  precisely remembered her mother's hurt expression as the front door slammed shut, and her tearful eyes, as she rushed to her bedroom. Kari, concerned, rushed up after her, and opened the door to their room slightly,  only to notice her sitting on the ground and whimpering, while holding a framed picture of her dad in her hand. Hearing the creaking noise of the door, her mother turned around. 

"Kari? What are you doing here? Leave now, have I not tought you to knock before you enter?" She ushered her out, slamming the door shut right infront of the confused girl. She waited a few seconds before knocking quietly. 

"Mum? May I come in?" 

There was dead silence for a few seconds before finally the door know twisted revealing her mother's swollen face. "Sweetie, it's okay. Don't worry about me, and do me a favour and just go to your room." She gave her a weak smile, and closed the door again, this time with more care. Dumbfounded and upset, Kari turned away from the door and walked to her room in silence. 

Kari shook off the event that happened and sighed, resting her head on her knees. V couldn't speak. He was only the spirit that would make Kari's dreams into a beautiful majestic paradise. He had no way of communicating with her through words and watched as small tears escaped the girls eyes. He wanted to help. He wanted to wipe those tears away from her eyes and to assure her that love is much better than that, but he knew he couldn't. 

May 2012 - in Kari's dream

Kari was sat on a tyre swing, hanging over a cliff. She watched over the beautiful horizon of which the sun set on, with tears rolling down her face. 

"He asked me out as a dare that his friend made him do..." she murmured, with silent tears falling down her cheeks. "I just don't understand. Am I unattractive?  Am I too easy?"

She wiped some tears away from her eyes with her palm. "I guess I trust people too easily..."

V had developed the power to talk with her in her dreams now. 

"You just haven't met the right person yet. And you're not unattractive,  in fact your quite the opposite." his voice echoed through the sky. She managed to smile at his compliment. 

"I guess you haven't seen some of the girls in my school then," 

"I don't need to see them to know that you are beautiful." V argued. Why is she always bringing herself down? he thought. It pained him to see her upset. And whoever made her upset would pay... "Why don't we talk about something that would cheer you up?" 

"Like what?" 

"What kind of things make you happy?" It took Kari a moment to think about it. What did she like? Then something popped up in her head.

"I love anime! Especially 'Attack on Titan'! Best anime ever!" He laughed at her cheerfulness on the subject. He wished that he could see that beautiful smile all the time. 

June 2012 - In Kari's dream

Kari was making snow angles in the clouds. she walked on one and was off to another.

"Remember the guy I was telling you about? You know, the one who went out with me as a dare? Well, he was ran over by a car yesterday and now he's in the hospital. Karma hit him really hard..." Kari frowned hearing herself tell the story. She wanted slight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter