Chapter 3

April Showers Bring May Flowers

(For more affect open 3 youtube tabs with the links below and play and pause when told :D)

 

Chapter 3

(play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhRWUHGM8s&list=PLB0E9B81CCCAB7C29&index=1 )

(Choon-hee walking in a field of clouds wearing a white dress and everything is silent.)

“Where am I? Who am I? Why does my head and body ache so much?” Choon-Hee thought.

There was no response.

“Am I dreaming?” she thought quickly. Then as if that was the answer everything went dark but at that exact moment there was also light. Everything was blurry and there was very little sound around her.

“Mmm…” Choon-hee groaned and pushed herself upwards. She looked around slightly confused. Around her was a small light brown house filled with old antiques and books. The place smelled of cinnamon and coffee. It smelt beautiful and surprisingly comforting to her. Choon-hee was about to take the blanket off when she heard humming down the hall coming closer. Slowly an old peaceful looking man appeared from the stairway.

“Oh, I see you're awake now Choon-hee” The old man smiled a bright and warm smile while walking into the room with his glasses about to slip off his nose.

“I-is my name Choon-hee?!” Choon-hee asked surprised

The man looked at her and laughed, “Yes, it is. A very beautiful name as a matter afact.  Do you know what it means?”

Choon-hee shook her head while the man handed her tea which smelt like roses.

“It means “Spring girl”… do you like spring?” The man took a sip of his own rose smelling tea.

(PAUSE MUSIC)

Choon-hee smiled a huge smile, “Yes! I-I mean... I think...” Choon-hee felt a sharp pain and put her hand over her head, “I mean… I can’t remember…”

The man smiled and set his tea down. “My name is Bae Hyun-Ki… but you may call me hal-abeoji”

Choon-hee repeated the words in her head and nodded.

“Well rest for a little longer while I cook something to eat. There is a closet full of clothes right through that door to your left. Help yourself.” Hyun-ki told her while he stood up to go down stairs once again.

After 5 minutes Choon-hee gathered the strength to stand up. Her legs were a little wobbly, like those of a newborn baby horse. She walked over the closet door and opened the door. Inside were a thousand dresses, skirts, pants, shirts, blouses, hats, and more. Choon-hee had no words and was in a state of awe.

“You like it?” a man’s voice asked her.

Her legs still weak, she spun around startled and fell to the ground. The boy panicked running over to her help her up.

“Sorry! Are you ok?” the boy asked.

“I’m okay, thank you” Choon-hee smiled afraid to make eye-contact with the boy.

He stuck his hand out to shake her hand, “My name is Hanuel”

“Hanuel… Hanuel…” Choon-hee whispered to herself. The name seemed so familiar it rolled off her tongue.

“Excuse me?” Hanuel tilted his head in confusion

“Oh! My name is Choon-hee!” She grabbed his hand with both her hands still looking downward toward her feet

She held his hand for a few seconds realizing she was holding on for a long time once Hanuel tried pulling away.

“Sorry!” She immediately let go.

He smiled, “Its fine. Hal-abeoji wanted me to tell you it’s time to eat, but we can wait. Why don’t you finish picking your outfit?”

Choon-hee nodded while Hanuel walked out of her room.

—Downstairs with Hyun-ki and Hanuel—

“Hal-abeoji, she is a little empty up here” Hanuel told Hyun-ki pointing to his head while pouring Hyun-ki hot tea.

Hyun-ki chuckled, “Oh she’s only like that for a while. Give her some time.”

Hanuel was about to disagree when he heard a creak on the stairs. Both Hyun-Ki and Hanuel turned to look over towards the stairwell to find Choon-hee in a simple white dress that went up to her knees and sleeves that showed her shoulders.

“Sorry” she said sitting down on a cushion “I wasn’t sure what to wear… so I took longer than I thought… I’m not sure what looks good and what doesn’t. Sorry to make you both wait.”

“It’s okay my dear! You look like an angel.” Hyun-ki proclaimed

“What do angels look like?” Choon-hee asked confused

Realizing what he said he waved his arms in the air, “Ah nothing nothing! You look beautiful! Let’s eat before the food gets cold shall we?”

Both Hanuel and Choon-hee nodded and began eating. 10 minutes into eating Hyun-ki looked at Hanuel.

“Well well haven’t you been quiet. Does Choon-hee’s dress make you speechless.” Hyun-ki laughed.

“What!? You’re a crazy old man!” Hanuel began stuffing his food into his mouth quicker.

Choon-hee blushed but continued sipping her soup.

--after dinner say 6 o’clock--

“Hanuel why don’t you show her around the house while I clean up dinner” Hyun-ki suggested

“Mkay… let’s go Choon-hee” Hanuel stood up and waited for her to get up.

—toured inside the house and now outside the house on top of the roof—

“So this is the view we have…” Hanuel sat back on the table outside breathing in the cool air

“It’s so beautiful!” Choon-hee gleamed. A small road was in front of the house and across the road there were restaurants and clothing stores. People bustling everywhere and Hyun-Ki’s antique shop sat right under us.

“Yep…” Hanuel smiled at Choon-hee’s happy reaction to this very ordinary view.

‘Maybe she isn’t such a bird brain’ He thought but then that thought was taken away by another thought. A more important thought. ‘No she definitely is a bird brain! Just like her mom.’

“Let’s go.” Hanuel said walking back inside the house

Choon-hee obediently followed

--9 o’clock now—

Hyun-ki was showing Choon-hee where to wash up and that the curfew to be home was precisely at 10 o’clock and no later. Choon- hee nodded her head in agreement.

‘It’s not like I have anywhere to go.’ Choon-hee thought.

--after washing up and putting on her pj’s—

She sat her room while Hanuel walked around her room taking out all the unnecessary items like books, statues, and vases. In the back of the room was a small green box labeled “Pure Pearl”.

“What is that green tin box?” Choon-hee asked Hanuel pointing to the far corner.

Hanuel looked over the boxes he was carrying out of her room, “Hm? I don’t know. By the looks of it it’s probably just trash.”

“Trash...” Choon-hee whispered.

Hanuel walked back into the room and turned off the lights, “Ok, go to bed. Night”

“W-wait!” Choon-hee panicked

Hanuel the lights again confused

“T-the dark… uhm… I prefer the light.” Choon-hee settled in bed

Hanuel sighed and walked into her room and took out an old lamp from the boxes. He plugged in the lamp on her night stand.

“Better?” he asked

Choon-hee nodded and sank into her pillow. Hanuel walked out turning off the light and closing her door.

‘Weirdo’ he thought to himself.

(PLAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6GO5L-7Oho&list=PLoHD9uG7LckHwZf5f1m71hO564Nm_W_tW&index=35 )

Choon-hee lay in her bed for hours but was too curious about that box. After hours of debating her curiosity couldn’t stand it any longer, so she quickly ran over to the box and brought it back to her bed. Under the protection of her covers she opened the box. It was hard because the box was beginning to rust which meant it hadn’t been open in a long time.

No matter how much she tried it wouldn’t budge but just when Choon-hee was about to give up the top popped open.

“Oh…” Choon-hee smiled, “It opened.”

Choon-hee took the top off the tin box and held it under her box.

(PAUSE)

(PLAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7gkMmrxRl0 )

Choon-hee took the contents out of the box and looked at it. There were only four things inside the box.

1 .A pink hairpin

2. A ring

And two photos.

Under one photo there were some faded lettering that read ‘Jin-Joo and Kang-Jun’ and had a smiling couple holding a baby.

Under the other photo were more faded words that read ‘Jin-joo and Sun-Mi’ and had the same lady, ‘Jin-joo it has to be, but much younger’ Choon-hee thought, and another young girl smiling. Both of them in the same white dress she had on earlier.

“Jin. Joo?” Choon-hee said aloud, “Sun. Mi? Kang.Jun? Who are they?”

(PAUSE AND END OF CH.3)