Chapter 1

Iridescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, Summer 2015

 

It was a sunny day on summer, a perfect day to go to Han River Park or go to Jeju Island, yet there he, Kim Jong Kook, was spending this beautiful day on his office. As the leader of the company, he couldn’t just leave his responsibility for a holiday. Holiday wasn’t on his dictionary at this moment and maybe never would be. He had too many papers to sign and too many meetings to attend but he didn’t care as long as it kept him busy. He already gave up on his personal life when he came back to Seoul.

He was standing near the window, looking down to the busy street of Seoul in the middle of May. He loved summer until 5 years ago when it all changed. His mobile phone kept ringing and he still ignored it. Annoyed with the non-stop ring, he decided to turn off his phone and the silence surrounded the room again. Just about when he felt comfortable, there’s a knock on his door. He sighed and said, “Come in.”

His secretary, a man younger but much taller than him appeared and bowed to Jong Kook, “Mr. Kim.”

“Kwang Soo –yah, I’ve told you when there’s only the two of us, there’s no formality needed.”

Jong Kook thought of his secretary as his own little brother since Kwang Soo joined to the company 2 years ago. He got accepted as Jong Kook’s secretary because his predecessor was retired. Kwang Soo was still young but as the CEO’s secretary, he did his best and Jong Kook knew it so he was really fond with Kwang Soo.

“Ah, hyung, but I’ll get a big trouble if other people knew about it. They might think that I don’t respect you as my boss and as the CEO.”

In their conservative society and culture, formality was highly regarded and Kwang Soo didn’t want people mistaken his closeness with his boss as an act of rudeness.

“Hyung, there’s a phone call for you. It’s from your mother.” Kwang Soo said to Jong Kook who still looking outside the window. Didn’t get the respond from his employer, Kwang Soo continued, “Do you switch off your mobile phone? Your mother said that you didn’t pick up the call and then it was out of reach.”

“Connect it to my personal line, I’ll pick up from here.” Jong Kook said. Kwang Soo bowed again a little before got out from Jong Kook’s office and did what Jong Kook told him to do. Jong Kook sat on his chair and took a sip of his green tea. The landline phone rang and Jong Kook took a deep breath before he finally picked it up. “Yes, mother?”

“Yah, Jong Kook –ah, I tried to call you thousand times, why don’t you pick my call?”

“I’m sorry, mother. I’m really busy right now.”

“You always use that excuse. I just want to tell you that you have to go to this restaurant at dinner time, understand? You’re going to meet a daughter of friend of mine.”

“Mother, I’ve told you many times I don’t have any interest to get married right now.” Jong Kook closed his eyes, trying to control his emotion. What he said was true, partly true.

“You already near 30! Of course you have to get married soon! Just relax, you will like this girl, she’s really pretty and smart.”

“But I have a meeting.” He still tried to excuse himself to not go.

“Just reschedule or cancel it. What kind of meeting start at 6:00 pm? You have to show up, 6:00 pm sharp. Don’t embarrass your family like last time.” Without even bother to say good bye, his mother already disconnected the phone. Jong Kook had to refrain himself from slamming the phone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter